Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 06:20:06 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Should we have a private board?

Started by Erica Mena, November 30, 2022, 12:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

Quote from: DKG post_id=485194 time=1669839284 user_id=3390
Erica, if you do have a private board for normal posters, don't invite Joe.

Hell no. Joe stalked old Blurt. He is known by the RCMP for stalking just like his buddy, Eddie the Chug

Erica Mena

Quote from: Sea post_id=485198 time=1669843736
Quote from: "Erica Mena" post_id=485139 time=1669829087 user_id=2845
So we can discuss things we don't want the weirdo's reading? Or nah

Awesome Idea, since this place is as one way as anything can be. Must be the reason so many of your loyal posters post at  BF.

Your head is made of solid granite

Meanwhile your mush for brains is planted here 24/7 dying for me to approve your whack ass posts. Just stfu already
<t></t>

weebles

Listen no offense but if you do create a private sub forum you are going to create an echo chamber and thus lose traffic... just being honest here. :howdy:

Herman

Quote from: weebles post_id=485232 time=1669853375 user_id=2191
Listen no offense but if you do create a private sub forum you are going to create an echo chamber and thus lose traffic just being honest here.

I was briefly a member of a private group. The shit that was discussed there aint the shit that gets posted on the boards. So, no it don't take away from the forum itself.

weebles

Quote from: Herman post_id=485233 time=1669853532 user_id=3396

I was briefly a member of a private group. The shit that was discussed there aint the shit that gets posted on the boards. So, no it don't take away from the forum itself.

Respect Herm you may have a better idea of this then I... so cheers  ac_drinks

Dream and Dare.  :howdy:

Herman

Quote from: weebles post_id=485235 time=1669853766 user_id=2191
Quote from: Herman post_id=485233 time=1669853532 user_id=3396

Respect Herm you may have a better idea of this then I... so cheers  ac_drinks

Dream and Dare.  :howdy:

I really don't care one way or the other if there is a private club. I see them as an extension of messaging. If there is one and I am invited, fine. If there is one and I am not invited, that is fine too. It will not change my posting on the forum.

weebles

Do you not see the irony in that people that complain about "secret societies" and "privileged private clubs" are the ones yet advocating for them?

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Herman

Quote from: weebles post_id=485247 time=1669855979 user_id=2191
Do you not see the irony in that people that complain about "secret societies" and "privileged private clubs" are the ones yet advocating for them?

No, I don't. This is private property. This owner, the previous owner, or any future owner is free to invite anybody they want to a private room.

Frood

Quote from: weebles post_id=485247 time=1669855979 user_id=2191

The more things change the more they stay the same.

If you don't like it, you can create your own space.
Blahhhhhh...

Melson Gibson

Weebles isn't wrong.  What exactly IS the point of a private board?  Isn't that what FaceBook is for?  FaceBook fills that need.

I've seen what the old private board here contained, and it was certainly less than stellar content all things considered.

Erica Mena

<t></t>

Shen Li

Quote from: "Melson Gibson" post_id=485273 time=1669865068 user_id=3397
Weebles isn't wrong.  What exactly IS the point of a private board?  Isn't that what FaceBook is for?  FaceBook fills that need.

I've seen what the old private board here contained, and it was certainly less than stellar content all things considered.

VF had a private room for a while and so did SG. As long as it doesn't take away from posting on the forum itself, it's fine.

Melson Gibson

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=485276 time=1669865306 user_id=3389
VF had a private room for a while and so did SG. As long as it doesn't take away from posting on the forum itself, it's fine.

It takes away at least some main board content 100% of the time, and I'm not personally a fan.

Just an example, on Vinny's DV there was a hidden forum only for the Mods.  As you would imagine, its intent was to discuss moderation duties, how the rules were to applied, etc.  You know what happened?  90% of the shit discussed in there really belonged on the main board, and had nothing to do with moderation.  It actually kind of pissed me off, since Mods are supposed to be 'brand ambassadors' if you will, and contribute to the main board.  NOT petty small talk shit on a Mod forum intended for Mod discussions.

This example works no differently anywhere else.  You've instantly created two classes of posters.  Now, I understand an owner can set a board up however they see fit, but an opinion was asked, and this is my opinion.  If a topic cannot be discussed by regular posters on the main board, you'd probably not want to discuss that on a 'secret' forum either.

Due to the previous Admin's incompetence here, even I was able to gain access to the 'secret forum', on a board that I was permabanned from.  Just bear that in mind also...

Blazor

The secret forum here, was really dead. Super rare we posted in there. Didnt take away at all IMO.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Shen Li

Quote from: Blazor post_id=485284 time=1669866085 user_id=2221
The secret forum here, was really dead. Super rare we posted in there. Didnt take away at all IMO.

Near the end, the only people who used it were Azhya and Zetsu. The idea for the private board wasn't the previous owner's.