Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

When you read this shit...

Started by Obvious Li, May 02, 2014, 06:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obvious Li

how is it possible for even the loons not to say we are completely fucked up in this country.....simply beyond comprehension,,,,,,,,

and follow their guidelines."

The incident occurred on a Saturday night in February, 2010. Mr. Gilpin, then 32, entered the Alehouse, ordered a beer and was immediately "carded" by server Stephanie Lent.

Related

Mr. Gilpin provided an expired Nova Scotia identification card, an expired driver's licence, a pictureless Nova Scotia health card and a Canadian citizenship card, which included a picture.

As none of the cards met the bar's policies of only accepting valid driver's licences, provincial I.D. cards and passports, Ms. Lent refused service and asked Mr. Gilpin to leave.

Mr. Gilpin continued to linger, despite the intervention of manager Shawn Murgatroyd. Eventually, Mr. Murgatroyd called Halifax Police to remove him from the premises.

Despite unanimous testimony by Alehouse staff that Mr. Gilpin did not seem intoxicated, police charged him with public drunkenness and detained him for a night in police custody.

He will never forget how the Alehouse made him feel

The charge was subsequently dismissed, and Mr. Gilpin is intending to pursue a separate case against the police.

In its final decision rendered in July, the Human Right Commission ultimately ruled that Halifax Alehouse's denial of Mr. Gilpin's identification was not necessarily racist, even if it chastised the bar's current age identification policy for being "aggressive and even arrogant."

What was racist, though, was the bar's act of "invoking the force of the state" by summoning police.

Halifax Alehouse was unable to "rebut the presumption of discriminatory behaviour," read the decision.

"As Maya Angelou has said: ... 'people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel,'" wrote commission board chair Walter Thompson.

"Mr. Gilpin wept as he told his story. He will never forget how the Alehouse made him feel."

At proceedings, Mr. Gilpin's lawyer also claimed the episode had triggered his client's post-traumatic stress disorder.

At a final hearing convened on Tuesday, the parties met to hash out an appropriate "remedy" to the July decision. To be decided by the board chair within the next few weeks, the remedy is expected to have lasting effects not only on the Alehouse but the whole Nova Scotia liquor trade.

"What I think you're going to see from the board chair is some commentary with respect to the benefit of having training relating to consumer racial profiling and stuff of that nature," said Kendrick Douglas, lawyer for Mr. Gilpin.

His client's experience is "not the first of its kind in Nova Scotia, that's for sure," he said.

Gordon Stewart, executive director of the Restaurant Association of Nova Scotia, said he anticipates the pending remedy will prompt Nova Scotia restaurants to work out clearer carding guidelines with the Alcohol and Gaming Division — particularly since the Halifax bar scene is already swimming with fake I.D.s.

"It can get restaurants ... charged and shut down and fined," he said.

Alehouse lawyer Eric Thomson, meanwhile, told Halifax's Chronicle Herald that the case's outcome still leaves plenty of ambiguity on how bars will be expected to treat their customers.

"The question still remains — when do you make a phone call, when don't you make a phone call?" he said.

National Post

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"how is it possible for even the loons not to say we are completely fucked up in this country.....simply beyond comprehension,,,,,,,,

and follow their guidelines."

The incident occurred on a Saturday night in February, 2010. Mr. Gilpin, then 32, entered the Alehouse, ordered a beer and was immediately "carded" by server Stephanie Lent.

Related

Mr. Gilpin provided an expired Nova Scotia identification card, an expired driver's licence, a pictureless Nova Scotia health card and a Canadian citizenship card, which included a picture.

As none of the cards met the bar's policies of only accepting valid driver's licences, provincial I.D. cards and passports, Ms. Lent refused service and asked Mr. Gilpin to leave.

Mr. Gilpin continued to linger, despite the intervention of manager Shawn Murgatroyd. Eventually, Mr. Murgatroyd called Halifax Police to remove him from the premises.

Despite unanimous testimony by Alehouse staff that Mr. Gilpin did not seem intoxicated, police charged him with public drunkenness and detained him for a night in police custody.

He will never forget how the Alehouse made him feel

The charge was subsequently dismissed, and Mr. Gilpin is intending to pursue a separate case against the police.

In its final decision rendered in July, the Human Right Commission ultimately ruled that Halifax Alehouse's denial of Mr. Gilpin's identification was not necessarily racist, even if it chastised the bar's current age identification policy for being "aggressive and even arrogant."

What was racist, though, was the bar's act of "invoking the force of the state" by summoning police.

Halifax Alehouse was unable to "rebut the presumption of discriminatory behaviour," read the decision.

"As Maya Angelou has said: ... 'people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel,'" wrote commission board chair Walter Thompson.

"Mr. Gilpin wept as he told his story. He will never forget how the Alehouse made him feel."

At proceedings, Mr. Gilpin's lawyer also claimed the episode had triggered his client's post-traumatic stress disorder.

At a final hearing convened on Tuesday, the parties met to hash out an appropriate "remedy" to the July decision. To be decided by the board chair within the next few weeks, the remedy is expected to have lasting effects not only on the Alehouse but the whole Nova Scotia liquor trade.

"What I think you're going to see from the board chair is some commentary with respect to the benefit of having training relating to consumer racial profiling and stuff of that nature," said Kendrick Douglas, lawyer for Mr. Gilpin.

His client's experience is "not the first of its kind in Nova Scotia, that's for sure," he said.

Gordon Stewart, executive director of the Restaurant Association of Nova Scotia, said he anticipates the pending remedy will prompt Nova Scotia restaurants to work out clearer carding guidelines with the Alcohol and Gaming Division — particularly since the Halifax bar scene is already swimming with fake I.D.s.

"It can get restaurants ... charged and shut down and fined," he said.

Alehouse lawyer Eric Thomson, meanwhile, told Halifax's Chronicle Herald that the case's outcome still leaves plenty of ambiguity on how bars will be expected to treat their customers.

"The question still remains — when do you make a phone call, when don't you make a phone call?" he said.

National Post

Did the bar not follow Nova Scotia's guidelines?

Obvious Li

of course it did.....but that is irrelevant to the progressive busybodies who see racism around every corner...lol

keeper

I don't see what the problem is?

It states- "As none of the cards met the bar's policies of only accepting valid driver's licences, provincial I.D. cards and passports"

Maybe calling the cops was a bit extreme but what to do?

I wonder if they had a bouncer there?

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Keeper"I don't see what the problem is?

It states- "As none of the cards met the bar's policies of only accepting valid driver's licences, provincial I.D. cards and passports"

isn't that the whole crux of the matter keeper...can you imagine what would have happened if some "bouncer" had bounced this waste of skin out on the street....they would have been charged with a hate crime and sued out of existence.....businesses are told to "call the cops and not take matters into their own hands" and this is where it ends up...in front of a HR tribunal made up of loons.

keeper

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

isn't that the whole crux of the matter keeper...can you imagine what would have happened if some "bouncer" had bounced this waste of skin out on the street....they would have been charged with a hate crime and sued out of existence.....businesses are told to "call the cops and not take matters into their own hands" and this is where it ends up...in front of a HR tribunal made up of loons.

I had a few friends that bounced a few bars where I live and they never got in trouble, and I seen some pretty bad fights. Don't the establishments have ummm what's the word, like "laws" or Policies.  do this or your gone?. I was at a bar and we were taking pictures, the owner come up to us and asked us to leave because it was against there policy, So cant bars make their own rules?

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Keeper"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"

I had a few friends that bounced a few bars where I live and they never got in trouble, and I seen some pretty bad fights. Don't the establishments have ummm what's the word, like "laws" or Policies.  do this or your gone?. I was at a bar and we were taking pictures, the owner come up to us and asked us to leave because it was against there policy, So cant bars make their own rules?

i think so..in the old wild west days i bounced on my days off in a pretty rough place in Fort Mac..the cops would not enter...our job was to get the client out the door and they would take it from there...never remember anyone still upright when they landed on the other side of the doors in all the years i worked there....i think the cops liked it like that..they didn't have to listen to a bunch of drunks bitching.

Obvious Li

sorry....should have added...but that was then and this is now...different time

Renee

:shock: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That guy really needs to buy himself a pair of big boy pants......and put them on.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee""Mr. Gilpin wept as he told his story. He will never forget how the Alehouse made him feel."

:shock: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That guy really needs to buy himself a pair of big boy pants......and put them on.

The race card is the last refuge of a scoundrel. I'm not saying I haven't used it to my advantage at times, but like in this case the guy really looks desperate.