Replies: 10378
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 05:35:39 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

One small step for man....one

Started by Obvious Li, June 13, 2014, 07:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obvious Li

giant step for mankind.......baby steps baby steps....papa is proud of you.

[size=150]Tenure court decision in California a major blow to teachers

[/size]

By JENNIFER MEDINA

LOS ANGELES — The New York Times News Service

Published Wednesday, Jun. 11 2014, 2:27 PM EDT

A California judge ruled Tuesday that teacher tenure laws deprive students of their right to an education under the state constitution and violate their civil rights. The decision hands teachers' unions a major defeat in a landmark case, one that could radically alter how California teachers are hired and fired and prompt challenges to tenure laws in other states.

"Substantial evidence presented makes it clear to this court that the challenged statutes disproportionately affect poor and/or minority students," Judge Rolf M. Treu of Los Angeles Superior Court wrote in the ruling. "The evidence is compelling. Indeed, it shocks the conscience."

The decision, which was enthusiastically endorsed by Education Secretary Arne Duncan, brings to a close the first chapter of the case, Vergara v. California, in which a group of student plaintiffs argued that state tenure laws had deprived them of a decent education by leaving bad teachers in place.

Observers on both sides expect the case to generate more like it in cities and states around the country. David Welch, a Silicon Valley technology magnate, spent several million dollars to create the organization that brought the Vergara case to court - Students Matter - and paid for a team of high profile attorneys, including Theodore J. Boutrous Jr., who helped win a Supreme Court decision striking down California's same-sex marriage ban. While the next move is still unclear, the group is considering filing lawsuits New York, Connecticut, Maryland, Oregon, New Mexico, Idaho and Kansas and other states with powerful unions where legislatures have defeated attempts to change teacher tenure laws.

The teachers' unions said Tuesday that they planned to appeal. A spokesman for the state's attorney general, Kamala D. Harris, said she was reviewing the ruling with Gov. Jerry Brown and state education officials before making a decision on any plans for an appeal.

"We believe the judge fell victim to the anti-union, anti-teacher rhetoric and one of American's finest corporate law firms that set out to scapegoat teachers for the real problems that exist in public education," said Joshua Pechthalt, the president of the California Federation of Teachers. "There are real problems in our schools, but this decision in no way helps us move the ball forward."

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"giant step for mankind.......baby steps baby steps....papa is proud of you.

I don't know enough about tenure to have an opinion OL, but how is it good or bad?

Anonymous

Woo hoo, there is some hope for the West. Snivel serpents sense of entitlement has been successfully challenged. Just one small victory in a vast cultural war.

Renee

I'm amazed this ruling came down in the People's Republic of "Kalifornia". That state is a pro-union and pro-progressive as it gets in the US.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"I'm amazed this ruling came down in the People's Republic of "Kalifornia". That state is a pro-union and pro-progressive as it gets in the US.

Me too Renee. Kalifornia seems to have a common sense phobia. Too many rich celebutards.

Frost

They eat each other soon as common sense is all gone.

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Renee"I'm amazed this ruling came down in the People's Republic of "Kalifornia". That state is a pro-union and pro-progressive as it gets in the US.

Me too Renee. Kalifornia seems to have a common sense phobia. Too many rich celebutards.

It's not just the "celebutards"  :lol: the state is loaded with illegals, progs, enviro-nazis, rich out of touch assholes, leftist social engineers and they have all basically run the state into the ground financially. Almost every crazy social and political concept in the US can be traced directly back to the influence of that cesspool of retardation.

Many of the more "normal" people who can afford it are pulling up stakes and leaving for places like Texas and Utah. The far northern part of the state is about the last place you will find a few enclaves of people with viable brain function. In my opinion the whole state needs to be fenced off from the rest of the union before it can infect anymore of its neighboring states. It sounds extreme but the reality is the US would be better off if CA. and its Govenor "Moon Beam" were to fall off into the Pacific Ocean
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"giant step for mankind.......baby steps baby steps....papa is proud of you.

I know teachers unions are powerful everywhere. I don't have a problem with collective bargaining in the private sector. Public sector unions are not in the interests of the public they serve.