Replies: 7025
Total votes: : 3

Last post: May 07, 2024, 01:28:44 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

• US election 2024 5 0 5 1

US election 2024

Started by DKG, August 16, 2023, 02:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

DKG

I started this thread as a catch all for next year's American presidential election. Not so much about policy platforms, but polling,primaries, and predictions.

53 percent in new poll say they would not support Trump if he is GOP nominee

More than half of Americans surveyed said they would not support former President Trump in the 2024 general election if he is the Republican nominee, according to a poll released Wednesday.

The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll found that 53 percent of Americans said they would definitely not support Trump if he was the nominee. Another 11 percent saying that they would probably not support him.

These new numbers come as GOP support for Trump has seemingly grown since April, even as the former president faces a number of legal challenges.

Sixty-three percent of Republicans in the poll say they want Trump to run again, which is slightly up from April — when 55 percent answered the same way. About 7 in 10 Republicans also now have a favorable view of the former president, up from 60 percent just two months ago.

Nearly three-quarters of Republicans also said they would support Trump if he becomes the GOP nominee, according to the poll, which was conducted before Trump and 18 allies were indicted Monday in Georgia related to efforts to overturn the 2020 election in the state.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4154705-53-percent-in-new-poll-say-they-would-not-support-trump-if-nominated/

Garraty_47

I signed up at the Virginia Green Party web site specifically so I can vote in their primary for Dr. Cornell West. If he's the Green nominee that's who I'll vote for in the general election.

If the Greens nominate anyone else my vote will depend on their positions; if they aren't where I need them to be especially on Ukraine and Julian Assange I'll submit an invalid write-in vote for a person yet to be determined.

I don't vote for duopoly candidates.

DKG

Quote from: Garraty_47 on August 16, 2023, 03:35:43 PMI signed up at the Virginia Green Party web site specifically so I can vote in their primary for Dr. Cornell West. If he's the Green nominee that's who I'll vote for in the general election.

If the Greens nominate anyone else my vote will depend on their positions; if they aren't where I need them to be especially on Ukraine and Julian Assange I'll submit an invalid write-in vote for a person yet to be determined.
Quote from: Garraty_47 on August 16, 2023, 03:35:43 PMI signed up at the Virginia Green Party web site specifically so I can vote in their primary for Dr. Cornell West. If he's the Green nominee that's who I'll vote for in the general election.

Have you given any consideration to modding this sub? You are the perfect candidate for the job. If you do, would you like guest posting?

Garraty_47

Quote from: DKG on August 16, 2023, 03:48:17 PMHave you given any consideration to modding this sub? You are the perfect candidate for the job. If you do, would you like guest posting?

I saw that mentioned and have given it some consideration.

My first impression was:
Does this sub actually *need* its own Mod? A major advantage of sites with a relatively small userbase are that between the Admin and a Global or two that's all  that's really necessary to keep an eye on things.

Admittedly I don't come close to reading every thread in Politics or even half of them come to that, but I can't recall a single instance where I thought to myself: "Boy, we sure could use a Mod right about now." To me at least it just seems like a job title with literally no duties or tasks to perform.

The people here currently are all forum veterans and demonstrably capable as individuals of coloring between the lines insofar as the forum's guidelines are concerned.

So I guess to begin with I'd need to be convinced this sub specifically actually *needs* Mod, then we can go from there.

As for Guest posting: I'll just say I'm not a fan. /shrug

DKG

Quote from: Garraty_47 on August 16, 2023, 04:12:38 PMI saw that mentioned and have given it some consideration.

My first impression was:
Does this sub actually *need* its own Mod? A major advantage of sites with a relatively small userbase are that between the Admin and a Global or two that's all  that's really necessary to keep an eye on things.

Admittedly I don't come close to reading every thread in Politics or even half of them come to that, but I can't recall a single instance where I thought to myself: "Boy, we sure could use a Mod right about now." To me at least it just seems like a job title with literally no duties or tasks to perform.

The people here currently are all forum veterans and demonstrably capable as individuals of coloring between the lines insofar as the forum's guidelines are concerned.

So I guess to begin with I'd need to be convinced this sub specifically actually *needs* Mod, then we can go from there.

As for Guest posting: I'll just say I'm not a fan. /shrug
The idea behind making you a mod was not that Politics needs it, as it is you are politically different from most posters here. Let's say, I modded it. If Lotusbud was to drop by again, she will not post in this sub because I am so fiscally conservative and even though I hate censorship, I would be accused of panel abuse.

Garraty_47

Quote from: DKG on August 16, 2023, 04:21:06 PMThe idea behind making you a mod was not that Politics needs it, as it is you are politically different from most posters here. Let's say, I modded it. If Lotusbud was to drop by again, she will not post in this sub because I am so fiscally conservative and even though I hate censorship, I would be accused of panel abuse.

I see what you're saying but it still looks like a hypothetical non-issue to me. If you didn't do anything to her post she could hardly accuse you of panel abuse and if she posted something that deserved moderation why would it make a difference if she mischaracterized the legitimate action?

I would suspect any reticence more likely to stem from being greatly outnumbered by users with opposing views and that's got nothing to do with whether or not a Mod is present. That's just demographics.

DKG

Quote from: Garraty_47 on August 16, 2023, 04:51:08 PMI see what you're saying but it still looks like a hypothetical non-issue to me. If you didn't do anything to her post she could hardly accuse you of panel abuse and if she posted something that deserved moderation why would it make a difference if she mischaracterized the legitimate action?

I would suspect any reticence more likely to stem from being greatly outnumbered by users with opposing views and that's got nothing to do with whether or not a Mod is present. That's just demographics.
It's not hypothetical. With Lotusbud it is, but the accusation happened recently. Do you know a poster who uses the handle Joe? Recently he accused Biggie Smiles and myself of restricting his access to certain forums on the board because of his political views. Biggie told him to post a screenshot and of course he couldn't because it was a flat out lie.

If you were a mod here, that accusation from center left posters would not happen. Unless they say you are a conservative's uncle Tom.

Oliver the Second

Herman

Quote from: DKG on August 16, 2023, 05:13:06 PMIt's not hypothetical. With Lotusbud it is, but the accusation happened recently. Do you know a poster who uses the handle Joe? Recently he accused Biggie Smiles and myself of restricting his access to certain forums on the board because of his political views. Biggie told him to post a screenshot and of course he couldn't because it was a flat out lie.

If you were a mod here, that accusation from center left posters would not happen. Unless they say you are a conservative's uncle Tom.

Joe is a bullshitting troll. Old Garraty knows that.

Reggie Essent

Quote from: Herman on August 16, 2023, 07:08:10 PMJoe is a bullshitting troll. Old Garraty knows that.

I think Joe's just a lonely old fuck with too much time on his hands.

Oh wait!  Maybe that's me.   :Doh2:
Funny Funny x 1 View List

Biggie Smiles

Joe is harmless

but he seems to piss people off

I gotta respect his gangster

He sent that pompous Tranny idiot Blurt right through the fucking roof

Blurt was trying to impress everyone with his breadth of knowledge about everything and Joe called him a "Googlectual"

I heard he lost his fucking shit  :crampe:

Reggie Essent

Quote from: Biggie Smiles on August 16, 2023, 07:39:42 PMJoe is harmless

Blurt was trying to impress everyone with his breadth of knowledge about everything and Joe called him a "Googlectual"

Blurt's a pedantic douche.  Good on Joe.
That's fire That's fire x 1 Agree Agree x 1 View List

Herman

Quote from: Biggie Smiles on August 16, 2023, 07:39:42 PMJoe is harmless

He is an equal opportunity troll, I will give him that. If he posts serious topics, I do not take it seriously because I know he is bullshitting for a reaction.

Biggie Smiles

Quote from: Gurk_MacGuintey on August 16, 2023, 07:42:47 PMBlurt's a pedantic douche.  Good on Joe.

He really is.

A sniping little sissy that waits for people to get banned to skip on in and take cheap shots.

He did that shit to Dove several times

Biggie Smiles

Quote from: Herman on August 16, 2023, 07:44:07 PMHe is an equal opportunity troll, I will give him that. If he posts serious topics, I do not take it seriously because I know he is bullshitting for a reaction.

you nailed him

And I don't think I've ever seen him break character. He rarely even hits back when attacked.

He just keeps chugging away at pissing his targets off

I respect that
Agree Agree x 1 View List