News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Evil Canadian Cafe Shop Owners Are Stealing Secrets !

Started by Gary Oak, August 05, 2014, 09:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Gary Oak

I have heard about this pair of christian missionaries who opened a cafe shop in China are stealing secrets ! I waonder what secrets they stole ! Steven Harper must be so embarassed that the world found out about this Canadian conspiracy to rob China of Chinas secrets !

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gary Oak"I have heard about this pair of christian missionaries who opened a cafe shop in China are stealing secrets ! I waonder what secrets they stole ! Paul Harper must be so embarassed that the world found out about this Canadian conspiracy to rob China of Chinas secrets !

It was a tit-for-tat thing. Ottawa announces that Beijing is stealing technology and then shortly after they pick on a Christian missionary couple. The good news is that they will not be incarcerated very long.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gary Oak"I have heard about this pair of christian missionaries who opened a cafe shop in China are stealing secrets ! I waonder what secrets they stole ! Paul Harper must be so embarassed that the world found out about this Canadian conspiracy to rob China of Chinas secrets !

Who is Paul Harper? Is he any relation to the guy who lives at 24 Sussex Drive?

Anonymous

When did this happen Gary Oak?

I had not heard about it..

Technically, missionary work is illegal in China.

Romero

QuoteThe Canadian couple detained in a frontier Chinese city on suspicion of stealing military secrets has spent years sending food and aid to North Korea, financed by donations from a British Columbia church.

Kevin and Julia Garratt's work in the secretive country, which included a week-long trip at the invitation of several government-controlled agencies in June, was always humanitarian in nature, their family says. But it looms in the background of what observers say are "unprecedented" allegations against Canadian citizens, whose case threatens to again chill relations with China that had in recent years showed signs of new warmth.

For years, funded by six-figure annual donations from churchgoers in Canada, they worked to send in kimchi, soy milk and North Koreans who had received religious training.

On Monday evening, the couple were detained by Chinese authorities and placed under investigation. In a statement Tuesday, China's foreign ministry said they "are suspected of collecting and stealing intelligence materials related to Chinese military targets and important Chinese national defence scientific research programs, and engaging in activities that endanger China's national security."

In Canada, the government was virtually silent, telling reporters it is watching, but saying little more – for now cautiously trying to avoid escalating the case into a public dispute with Beijing.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/family-scared-surprised-as-china-accuses-canadians-of-espionage/article19911433/">//http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/family-scared-surprised-as-china-accuses-canadians-of-espionage/article19911433/

Sounds like bogus accusations to me.

Anonymous

QuoteFor years, funded by six-figure annual donations from churchgoers in Canada, they worked to send in kimchi, soy milk and North Koreans who had received religious training.

Obviously, their targets were North Koreans and Korean-Chinese.

I don't get what they mean by "sending in N Koreans who had received religious training"??

Romero

That does sound stranger at a second glance.

"We brought you kimchi and soy milk. Oh, and some religiously trained North Koreans. Enjoy!"

Here's the explanation:

QuoteKnowing North Korea's sensitivity to religion – in May, Pyongyang sentenced a South Korean missionary to a life of hard labour – the couple did not spread Bibles or actively proselytize, he said. "They know the restrictions and they want to keep it very clear that they're just trying to do humanitarian work," Peter said.

But in China, their work was different. According to a sermon Kevin delivered to a Surrey, B.C., church in November and heard by Agence France-Presse, North Koreans often come to a "training house" in Dandong, he said, and "99 per cent of the people we meet go back to North Korea, because they have to preach the gospel in North Korea, because God has compelled them to go."

The Garratts also used their presence in Dandong to reach the local population. They held a weekly Sunday church service at their home, and kept a Bible on a rack of novels and other literature inside their coffee shop. Those books were missing on Tuesday, presumed to be confiscated by the authorities.

We would think that China would charge them with proselytizing, whether they actually were or not. I can't imagine them stealing military secrets.

Maybe they are super spies! Hacking into computer mainframes, going undercover and gaining access to military bases...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"That does sound stranger at a second glance.

"We brought you kimchi and soy milk. Oh, and some religiously trained North Koreans. Enjoy!"

Here's the explanation:

QuoteKnowing North Korea's sensitivity to religion – in May, Pyongyang sentenced a South Korean missionary to a life of hard labour – the couple did not spread Bibles or actively proselytize, he said. "They know the restrictions and they want to keep it very clear that they're just trying to do humanitarian work," Peter said.

But in China, their work was different. According to a sermon Kevin delivered to a Surrey, B.C., church in November and heard by Agence France-Presse, North Koreans often come to a "training house" in Dandong, he said, and "99 per cent of the people we meet go back to North Korea, because they have to preach the gospel in North Korea, because God has compelled them to go."

The Garratts also used their presence in Dandong to reach the local population. They held a weekly Sunday church service at their home, and kept a Bible on a rack of novels and other literature inside their coffee shop. Those books were missing on Tuesday, presumed to be confiscated by the authorities.

We would think that China would charge them with proselytizing, whether they actually were or not. I can't imagine them stealing military secrets.

Maybe they are super spies! Hacking into computer mainframes, going undercover and gaining access to military bases...

China has turned a blind eye over the years to Christian missionaries as long as they avoided politics. I think this is a tit-for-tat thing. We'll see what happens, but I can't see them spending years in jail.

Romero

Yeah, I think it's a tit-for-tat thing. Such an unlikely couple to charge with espionage still.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Romero"That does sound stranger at a second glance.

Here's the explanation:

China has turned a blind eye over the years to Christian missionaries as long as they avoided politics. I think this is a tit-for-tat thing. We'll see what happens, but I can't see them spending years in jail.

Taiwan has complete religious freedom..

What is China so scared of?

Gary Oak

This is such a stupid and obvious move. Bleeding heart liberal clulless wonders like the phonies here and on mmb however don't believe that they could be so obvious.

Romero

Quote from: "Fashionista"Taiwan has complete religious freedom..

Can't have people thinking for themselves! They just might start thinking for themselves!

Next you know they'll want to vote democratically and those commie fat cats will have to earn their jobs.

Romero

Quote from: "Gary Oak"This is such a stupid and obvious move. Bleeding heart liberal clulless wonders like the phonies here and on mmb however don't believe that they could be so obvious.

I haven't seen anyone consider it a smart move. I'm pretty sure everyone's against it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"

Can't have people thinking for themselves! They just might start thinking for themselves!

Next you know they'll want to vote democratically and those commie fat cats will have to earn their jobs.

Even when Korea had authoritarian governments, people were free to worship as they pleased.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"

Chairman Deng praised Falun Gong while Jiang called them an evil cult. What changed between Deng and his successor? Numbers When they had more members than the CCP, that looked like a rival to their monopoly on power. Typical historical Chinese thinking.