Replies: 7193
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 06:02:29 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Thiel

The 4B Movement in Korea is Causing the Birthrate to Drop

Started by DKG, February 22, 2024, 05:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKG

South Korea currently has the world's lowest fertility rate, with women having less than one child on average.

The drop in South Korea's fertility rate over the past few years results from the "4B Movement," with the B's representing the Korean words bihon, bichulsan, biyeonae, and bisekseu for marriage, childbirth, dating, and sex respectively.

The 4B Movement: South Korean Women Rejecting Traditional Expectations

In 2019, the 4B Movement emerged in South Korea, it's been getting a lot of notice on TikTok, gaining more traction and sparking debate.

This movement's central tenets challenge deeply ingrained societal norms, advocating that women should reject the following:

Bihon: Heterosexual marriage
Bichulsan: Childbirth
Biyeonae: Dating men
Bisekseu: Heterosexual relationships
Unraveling the Roots of the 4B Movement

The 4B Movement stems from a complex mix of social, economic, and cultural factors that have created a climate of deep-seated discontent and also rage among many young South Korean women, including:

Persistent Patriarchy & Misogyny: Despite South Korea's position as a developed, modernized nation, patriarchal structures are deeply embedded in its society. Women often face discrimination in the workplace, are pressured to conform to unrealistic beauty standards (Korea is the #1 country for plastic surgery procedures), and carry a disproportionate burden of domestic labor and childcare.
Economic Hardships and Disillusionment: South Korea's hyper-competitive economy and the skyrocketing cost of living have made it increasingly difficult to form families and raise children. Many young women feel disillusioned with the lack of opportunities and the expectation that their primary role should be as wives and mothers.
The #MeToo Reckoning: The global #MeToo movement had a significant impact on South Korea, exposing widespread sexual harassment and violent assault with little reprehension or justice by authorities. This ignited a broader critique of gender inequality and inspired women to demand greater autonomy and bodily agency.
Online Feminist Communities: Social media has empowered feminist movements in South Korea. These platforms raise awareness, help share personal experiences, and organize around common causes. The 4B movement has found fertile ground in these spaces with people around the globe.
The Evolution of South Korean Feminism

The 4B movement can be understood as part of a broader trajectory within South Korean feminism.

Previous feminist movements, like the Escape the Corset movement, focused primarily on challenging unrealistic beauty standards and the objectification of women.

The 4B movement expands on this, taking a more radical stance against the entire institution of heterosexual marriage and the traditional family structure within South Korean society.

Criticisms and Concerns

The 4B movement is not without its critics of course, with detractors arguing that it:

Is Too Extreme: Some argue that the movement's total rejection of heterosexual relationships and reproduction is too extreme and unrealistic.

Contributes to Low Fertility Rates: There are concerns that the 4B philosophy could further contribute to South Korea's alarmingly low birth rate, posing demographic challenges for the country.

Oversimplifies Complex Issues: Others find its stance overly simplistic, ignoring the diversity of women's experiences and the potential for positive partnerships with men.

Implications of the 4B Movement
There are valid concerns related to the plummeting birth and fertility rates namely the drastically changing demographic makeup of the country.

As South Korea's population ages, there is no younger generation to balance the population demographics.

This trend is what led to the projection that over half of Korea's population will be over the age of 65 by 2065.

This has serious implications related to Korea's economic and military capacity.

Other countries have echoed South Korea's "birth strike" – making it a transnational feminist movement.

Women in China have started their own "four nos" movement, causing the population to start shrinking, and Japan is also experiencing a drastically lowered birth rate because of women's reluctance to marry and have children.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/the-4b-movement-in-korea-is-causing-the-birthrate-to-drop-will-other-countries-follow/ar-BB1iEHs2?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=3ed7f90608dd48d5bcf48969fe20c0c9&ei=12

Korea, like Japan and Taiwan will be a nation of old people in the not too distant future. Singpaore has immigration to maintain a working age population, but other Asian nations are reluctant to change demographics.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

JOE

Agree Agree x 1 View List

formosan

The developed countries of East Asia have the lowest birth rates in the world.......China's fertility rate is almost as low.
too old to be a fashionista

Lokmar

I feel good that I did my part. I got TWO white women knocked up TWICE!!!!  :drunk2:

I dont pull out!!!

Brent

Quote from: Lokmar on February 29, 2024, 11:43:23 AMI feel good that I did my part. I got TWO white women knocked up TWICE!!!!  :drunk2:

I dont pull out!!!
Were they pregnant at the same time?

Lokmar

Quote from: Brent on February 29, 2024, 11:57:38 AMWere they pregnant at the same time?

:crampe:  :crampe:  :crampe:  :crampe:  :crampe:  :crampe:  :crampe:  :crampe:

Good one!!!!

First 2 were with wife #1. With her for more than a dozen years

Second 2 were with second wife. Still together after more than 20 years.

JOE

Quote from: Lokmar on February 29, 2024, 12:20:19 PM:crampe:  :crampe:  :crampe:  :crampe:  :crampe:  :crampe:  :crampe:  :crampe:

Good one!!!!

First 2 were with wife #1. With her for more than a dozen years

Second 2 were with second wife. Still together after more than 20 years.

They both musta really suffered...Lokmeer!

Those are 2 really brave women I tell ya!
Shit Post! Shit Post! x 1 View List

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on February 29, 2024, 06:22:03 PMThey both musta really suffered...Lokmeer!

Shut up, Joe.

If you did not take it up the ass, you would still be a virgin.
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Shen Li

Quote from: Lokmar on February 29, 2024, 11:43:23 AMI feel good that I did my part. I got TWO white women knocked up TWICE!!!!  :drunk2:

I dont pull out!!!
White chix eh Lok. That's the mistake you made right there.

Once you go Asian, you never go caucasian.
Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 2 View List

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on February 29, 2024, 06:22:03 PMThey both musta really suffered...Lokmeer!

You and thiel should gossip about it next time he's pounding your shit back up into your tonsils, josephine!!!!

Lokmar

Quote from: Shen Li on February 29, 2024, 07:15:28 PMWhite chix eh Lok. That's the mistake you made right there.

Once you go Asian, you never go caucasian.

LOL! Thats a fukin classic right there!  :crampe:  2nd time was like winning the lottery for me! I STILL thank God for that miracle!

JOE

Quote from: Lokmar on February 29, 2024, 08:49:29 PMYou and thiel should gossip about it next time he's pounding your shit back up into your tonsils, josephine!!!!

Oh. I thought ya said ya pulled yer 1st wife's hair & beat er.

I guess ya had ta have a 1st wife ta practice on & warm up with b'fore ya met the 2nd...eh Lokmeer?

Don' worry.

I've met guys like that.

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on March 01, 2024, 10:06:03 AMOh. I thought ya said ya pulled yer 1st wife's hair & beat er.

I guess ya had ta have a 1st wife ta practice on & warm up with b'fore ya met the 2nd...eh Lokmeer?

Don' worry.

I've met guys like that.

Does Thiel pull your hair when he pounds you?

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on March 01, 2024, 10:06:03 AMOh. I thought ya said ya pulled yer 1st wife's hair & beat er.

Don' worry.

I've met guys like that.

Hell, my best memories of that bitch was punching her! If she showed up at my doorstep today and threw something at me or shoved me, I'd beat her to death with a claw hammer. I mean, with her, I wouldnt want to use a gun because that would end it too fast.

You prolly shouldnt show up tho, josephine.  :popcorn:
Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 1 View List

JOE

Quote from: Lokmar on March 01, 2024, 12:30:00 PMHell, my best memories of that bitch was punching her! If she showed up at my doorstep today and threw something at me or shoved me, I'd beat her to death with a claw hammer. I mean, with her, I wouldnt want to use a gun because that would end it too fast.

You prolly shouldnt show up tho, josephine.  :popcorn:

Ah...fer all yer tough talk, I knows yer jes' a gentle like a Lamb ...Lokmeer!

Mind you, you have a rough kinda sense of humor you do!

But I know ya wouldn't shoot me.