Last post: Today at 05:05:17 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

1961 Corvette sold for about $50,000 Canadian or $38,000 US incl taxes/BP

Started by JOE, March 18, 2024, 08:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

I followed an online auction of this car

...and the Hagerty Index has this car valued at about $80,000 US:

https://www.hagerty.com/valuation-tools/chevrolet/corvette/1961/1961-chevrolet-corvette?id=aCn1I000000DPuCSAW&search=q%3D1961%2520corvette

...a good buy?

Lokmar

Informative Informative x 1 View List

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on March 18, 2024, 08:33:07 AMI followed an online auction of this car

https://www.hagerty.com/valuation-tools/chevrolet/corvette/1961/1961-chevrolet-corvette?id=aCn1I000000DPuCSAW&search=q%3D1961%2520corvette

...a good buy?

You posted a picture of the car Senile J.

One picture.

No further details.

And you ask if it was "a good buy"?

How the fuck should anyone know just by the one picture?!?!?

Quit being so fuckin' stupid.

Quote from: Lokmar on March 18, 2024, 08:38:06 AMresto mod with ugly wheels. I'm not a fan.

Oh man, those wheels are ugly.  And why not go with the classic two-tone paint job?

This is how I would want my '61 Corvette to look:

My wife might buy one, or something similar.

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on March 18, 2024, 04:15:33 PMYou posted a picture of the car Senile J.

One picture.

No further details.

And you ask if it was "a good buy"?

How the fuck should anyone know just by the one picture?!?!?

Quit being so fuckin' stupid.

Oh man, those wheels are ugly.  And why not go with the classic two-tone paint job?

This is how I would want my '61 Corvette to look:

My wife might buy one, or something similar.

Ah...I'm jes' seein' what I can get fer my money, Prowler.

browsing, eh?

If there is or will be a smoking hot deal going for way under asking, might be worth lookin into.

Some guy I know got a vintage mustang for less than $20,000 canadian + < $20,000 for restoration and he essentially got himself a new vintage car under $40,000 or $30,000 US worth much more than that by now.

See...I'm only interested if I can getta deal, eh?

Buy anything only if they're a lot < market value.

Otherwise If a person pays over that, not worth it.

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on March 18, 2024, 05:47:56 PMAh...I'm jes' seein' wha

Wha?

Wha?

Senile J, try to read and process.

It is impossible to determine the value of a car if the only information you have is a single picture of the car.

So your question about whether or not is was a good buy is a stupid question.

My wife is seriously considering buying an old car.  She just wants something to drive around town in.  But in a nice old car that is in pristine condition.  She does not have to worry about the cost as much as you do, Senile Joe, so she has a lot more options than you.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on March 18, 2024, 06:49:44 PMWha?

Wha?

Senile J, try to read and process.

It is impossible to determine the value of a car if the only information you have is a single picture of the car.

So your question about whether or not is was a good buy is a stupid question.

My wife is seriously considering buying an old car.  She just wants something to drive around town in.  But in a nice old car that is in pristine condition.  She does not have to worry about the cost as much as you do, Senile Joe, so she has a lot more options than you.

but you paid way too much for your cars T

I could do that, but what's the point?!

It's like...throwing good money after bad.

Oliver the Second

Kingoffrogs

Quote from: JOE on March 18, 2024, 08:33:07 AMI followed an online auction of this car

...a good buy?

For reselling purposes, no, cars are horrible assets to have if you want to profit off of selling them.

But, Joe, you are probably nearing or past retirement age. If you have the funds to spare and it's the car you really want, i'd say go for it tiger.

JOE

Quote from: Kingoffrogs on March 19, 2024, 09:33:33 AMIf you have the funds to spare and it's the car you really want, i'd say go for it tiger.

...No I'd probably pass on this one avatar_Kingoffrogs .

Some other posters here have pointed out the defects/deficiencies of this model.

And it looks like it may not be that great a restoration.

They have a point. Because of the true vintage cars I've seen, they don't look anything like that model. The paint, the trim, the tires, etc etc.

Perhaps everything is wrong with that resto.

There might be good deals a comin'.

But that might not be the greatest buy.