The best topic

Replies: 9981
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 06:27:41 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Biden backs Harris, pushes Supreme Court 'reform' in 'pass the torch' speech about ending 2024 bid

Started by Conservative Perspective, July 25, 2024, 04:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conservative Perspective

Biden backs Harris, pushes Supreme Court 'reform' in 'pass the torch' speech about ending 2024 bid

President Biden addressed the nation Wednesday evening for the first time since bowing out of the 2024 presidential race, saying it's time to pass the torch to a "new generation."

Source: Biden backs Harris, pushes Supreme Court 'reform' in 'pass the torch' speech about ending 2024 bid

Brent

Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch shut down on Monday a popular narrative that tries to undermine the legitimacy of the Supreme Court.

As the country becomes more divided over politics, the Supreme Court has becoming increasingly targeted with partisan attacks, especially from people upset that many significant court rulings in recent years do not support the progressive agenda. In response to conservative rulings, critics have demanded numerous court reforms — including court-packing and term limits for justices — while conservative-leaning justices have been subjected to accusations of ethical impropriety, none of which have borne any actual fruit.

"I would say those are deeply complex legal questions on which reasonable minds can, of course, and do disagree," Gorsuch said. "And that when it comes to Roe v. Wade, for example, what did the court decide? It decided that we the people should answer that question, not nine people sitting in Washington, D.C."

And on affirmative action, Gorsuch said, "What did we decide? We decided that all people are created equal — that it's not acceptable in this country to discriminate on the basis of race."

Finally, Gorsuch dismantled the argument that Supreme Court rulings are stripping Americans of rights. On the contrary, Gorsuch said the court is "taking it back to you."

"In a democracy, you're in the driver's seat. You're the sovereign. Those famous three first words of the Constitution empower you," he said. "Do you really want me deciding everything for you?

"All I can say is I don't know better than you do on these questions and that most major Western democracies have decided these questions through the ballot box," Gorsuch explained.

The "famous three words" to which Gorsuch referred, of course, are the opening words of the Preamble to the Constitution: "We the people."