Replies: 7375
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 04:46:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Odinson

What's Cooking?

Started by @realAzhyaAryola, February 22, 2015, 11:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Shen Li"I know AA, you prolly didn't think of this turning into a comedy thread.

ac_toofunny  ac_lmfao
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Renee

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"
Quote from: "Renee"
Hey Shen, Just think you could put the leftovers in the frig and let them set over night. Then the next day, cut them in squares, wrap them in bacon and deep fry it.  ac_toofunny

Think that sounds scary? People in the south of the US actually do that kind of shit.  ac_wot

Hey, Renee!  ac_hithere That is just incredible! I have never heard of that one. I wonder how that tastes.

Actually it taste pretty damn good. Unfortunately you'll be the size of a bus if you eat it on a regular basis.  ac_biggrin
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"http://apple-of-my-eye.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/panko-crusted-salmon.jpg">

That salmon looks good AA. Although I admit, salmon is not my favourite fish.

Anonymous

Here is a recipe for Dutch stamppot with rookworst.

Ingredients:

2  lbs potatoes (900g)

1  lb butternut squash (500g) or 1 lb buttercup squash (500g)

1⁄2 lb sweet potatoes (250g) or 1⁄2 lb yam (250g)

3  large carrots

2  large parsnips

1  large turnip

1  large leek

1  onion

1  lb savoy cabbage (or use green cabbage, kale, Swiss Chard, silverbeet or collards)

1⁄2 cup butter (or less to taste)

salt and pepper

1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)

1 1⁄2 lbs dutch sausage, such as Rookworst (or other spicy sausage such as Spanish Chorizo)

Directions:

Prepare the vegetables: Peel and roughly chop the potato, Butternut squash (pumpkin), sweet potato/yam, carrots, parsnips and turnip. Peel and finely chop the onion. Wash any grit from the leek and cabbage, then slice both fairly finely.

Place the chopped vegetables in a large stock pot, and add water to barely cover. Place over heat, cover, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, around 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the rookworst as per the instructions on the wrap, or saute the chorizo, or other spicy saudage you choose, in a little oil. Slice, then keep warm.

Drain the vegetables well, then mash - but not too smoothly - some lumps are good ;-) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the butter, and mix through (use less than 1/2 cup if you prefer). If desired, stir through the chopped parsley.

Serve the stamppot topped with the sliced sausage, and if you are really decadent, with an extra knob of butter!

http://img.sndimg.com/food/image/upload/w_555,h_416,c_fit,fl_progressive,q_95/v1/img/recipes/12/41/92/picUu5JIE.jpg">

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Fashionista"Here is a recipe for Dutch stamppot with rookworst.

Ingredients:

2  lbs potatoes (900g)

1  lb butternut squash (500g) or 1 lb buttercup squash (500g)

1⁄2 lb sweet potatoes (250g) or 1⁄2 lb yam (250g)

3  large carrots

2  large parsnips

1  large turnip

1  large leek

1  onion

1  lb savoy cabbage (or use green cabbage, kale, Swiss Chard, silverbeet or collards)

1⁄2 cup butter (or less to taste)

salt and pepper

1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)

1 1⁄2 lbs dutch sausage, such as Rookworst (or other spicy sausage such as Spanish Chorizo)

Directions:

Prepare the vegetables: Peel and roughly chop the potato, Butternut squash (pumpkin), sweet potato/yam, carrots, parsnips and turnip. Peel and finely chop the onion. Wash any grit from the leek and cabbage, then slice both fairly finely.

Place the chopped vegetables in a large stock pot, and add water to barely cover. Place over heat, cover, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, around 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the rookworst as per the instructions on the wrap, or saute the chorizo, or other spicy saudage you choose, in a little oil. Slice, then keep warm.

Drain the vegetables well, then mash - but not too smoothly - some lumps are good ;-) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the butter, and mix through (use less than 1/2 cup if you prefer). If desired, stir through the chopped parsley.

Serve the stamppot topped with the sliced sausage, and if you are really decadent, with an extra knob of butter!

http://img.sndimg.com/food/image/upload/w_555,h_416,c_fit,fl_progressive,q_95/v1/img/recipes/12/41/92/picUu5JIE.jpg">

Fash, that looks good. Have you tried it yourself?
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

@realAzhyaAryola

http://www.recipe.com/images/roasted-pork-loin-with-orange-herb-sauce-218-ss.jpg">

Honey Roasted Pork Loin

Prep Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 55 mins

Servings: 4

Ingredients

2 lbs pork loin ( boneless)

salt and pepper to taste

1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoons orange juice

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon thyme

1/2 cup chicken broth

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 375.

2.Season the pork and place in a roasting pan.

3.In a separate bowl, mix together the honey, juice, oil and thyme.

4.Pour over the pork.

5.Add the broth to the pan.

6.Bake until internal temperature reaches 150 (45-60 minutes).

7.Baste frequently.

8.Strain the pan juices into a saucepan.

9.Reduce until slightly thickened.

10.Serve over the sliced pork.
@realAzhyaAryola

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"http://www.recipe.com/images/roasted-pork-loin-with-orange-herb-sauce-218-ss.jpg">

Honey Roasted Pork Loin

Ingredients

salt and pepper to taste

1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon thyme

1/2 cup chicken broth

Directions

4.Pour over the pork.

7.Baste frequently.

mmm, mmm that looks soooooo good AA. I should bring you to the Czuk to cook for us for a week.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"http://www.recipe.com/images/roasted-pork-loin-with-orange-herb-sauce-218-ss.jpg">

Honey Roasted Pork Loin

Ingredients

salt and pepper to taste

1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon thyme

1/2 cup chicken broth

Directions

4.Pour over the pork.

7.Baste frequently.

Thank you for the recipe Azhya Aryola..

Do you ever make crispy pata?

@realAzhyaAryola

Oh yes, Fash. I do make that.
@realAzhyaAryola

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Oh yes, Fash. I do make that.

A Filipina girlfriend and I order that when we go to a Filipino restaurants in Calgary..

It sinfully delicious.

http://www.kawalingpinoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/crispypata3.jpg">

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Oh yes, Fash. I do make that.

A Filipina girlfriend and I order that when we go to a Filipino restaurants in Calgary..

It sinfully delicious.

http://www.kawalingpinoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/crispypata3.jpg">

Yum, Fash! Yes, that is a favorite among Pinoys.  ac_dance
@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

Mmm...

Apple-Braised Turkey Thighs

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/83/87/46/838746bc04a43d324eb6eaaece3f9a53.jpg">

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

2 turkey thighs (about 2 pounds total)

Coarse salt and ground pepper

2 large shallots, thinly sliced

4 Cortland or Granny Smith apples, peeled, quartered, and cored

2 cups apple cider

14.5 ounces low-sodium chicken broth

2 teaspoons cider vinegar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Season turkey on both sides with salt and pepper and add to pot, skin side down. Cook until skin is golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer turkey to a plate and add shallots to pot. Cook until shallots soften, about 5 minutes. Add apples and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.

Return turkey, skin side up, to pot; add cider and broth. Bring to a boil, cover, then place pot in oven. Cook 1 1/2 hours. Uncover; cook 30 minutes more.

Remove pot from oven and transfer turkey to a plate. Skim fat from cooking liquid and stir in vinegar. Slice meat off bones (discard bones) and serve turkey with apples and pan sauce.

Cook's Note

This dish is quick to prepare and tastes even better the next day; let it cool completely in the pan sauce, then reheat gently in a covered pot.
@realAzhyaAryola

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Mmm...

Turkey Thighs

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/83/87/46/838746bc04a43d324eb6eaaece3f9a53.jpg">

Turkeys will go on sale next weekend Azhya..

I will buy two for sure and possibly three..

I can get so many meals out of a turkey and turkey soup is my family's favourite..

Did you buy a whole turkey Azhya?

@realAzhyaAryola

Not this time, Fash. It's just thighs this time. Sometimes just legs too. Mmm...
@realAzhyaAryola

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Not this time, Fash. It's just thighs this time. Sometimes just legs too. Mmm...

I see turkey breast when I shop, but I seldom see turkey legs and thighs..

Occasionally, but not all the time.