Game of Thrones?

Started by Odinson, May 26, 2013, 03:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Odinson"
Quote from: "Wazzzup"
Quote from: "Odinson"
Quote from: "Odinson"They built the wall, founded the nights watch... All for an enemy that was defeated in one battle..

And even after serious strategic mistakes, they still had half of their troops left.
I agree. Watching the battle was cool visually but it was a but cringy for how  they fought it. Also Seven seasons of building up this fight and even two episodes this season of pre fight, and its over in one battle cause little arya stabbed one white walker.  

I also think its a bit anticlimactic that in the LAST battle they are fighting cersei, instead of white walkers and zombie dragons.    

I suppose even the best shows have problems, though it may have some faults, its still great tv.

The night king was supposed to have a real mission.. Like, after 8000 years, why has he awaken now..

I was expecting a battle for Winterfell but our heroes getting defeated.

Some of them survive and fall back towards kings landing where they join forces with Cersei..

The grand final battle against white walkers happens in kings landing... And Cersei gets killed in the aftermath.
I like that Odie.  maybe they should have gone with that

Before the season started what I was expecting to happen was somewhere between the two.  I thought circei and the starks etc. would unite and fight the white walker crew, then when they won I thought circei would turn on the starks etc, and she would be killed in a more quick battle..

Almost a year ago I was listening to the "plot leaks" and they described a battle against the night king down south.

Cersei is at best a side-baddie..
Yeah not the best choice for the plot direction of the show IMO. These guys were very good at adapting George RR martins books.  But when it comes to creating rather than adapting they don't measure up.  Too bad old GRRM got lazy and stopped writing.

Wazzzup

Gotta say last nights episoide was very disappointing.

There was a huge logical error IMO -- in the last episode after dany's second dragon got shot down, she retreated from the iron fleet because they were flinging arrows everywere and were stronger than her and her dragon.  But in last nights episode in less than 30 seconds she and her ONE dragon destroy the whole iron fleet.

Overall the battle was so ridiculously easy, the men manning the crossbows at the castle never shot arrows at the dragon, and it laid waste to everything .  There was no resistance whatsoever. It was like watching tanks roll over rebellious bunny rabbits.

Also the total 180 of dany's character from empathetic slave freeing ruler over 7 1/2 seasons and then breaking completely bad right at the end of 8 and turning tyrant seems an overreach to me.

But still even with its problems it better than most stuff on tv.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"Gotta say last nights episoide was very disappointing.

===

It started off on the wrong foot entirely for me.  In the very first scene we have a desk that I immediately recognize as late nineteenth century American, by a furniture company in Philadelphia whose name will probably come to me later.  The design of the machine-pressed beadwork around the edge of the top.... anyway, it all sucked canal water after that kickoff.

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Peaches"

===

It started off on the wrong foot entirely for me.  In the very first scene we have a desk that I immediately recognize as late nineteenth century American, by a furniture company in Philadelphia whose name will probably come to me later.  The design of the machine-pressed beadwork around the edge of the top.... anyway, it all sucked canal water after that kickoff.
Maybe it was a deliberate product plug to try and sell late 19th century desks :wink:  :laugh:

IMO Worst episode of the entire series.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"

===

Maybe it was a deliberate product plug to try and sell late 19th century desks :wink:  :laugh:

IMO Worst episode of the entire series.

I read a BBC review this morning that pretty much summed up my feelings, you can see it at

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20190513-game-of-thrones-the-bells-review">//http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20190513-game-of-thrones-the-bells-review

Odinson

Grey worm is thick..

Double chin, big belly..

He used to be fit.

caskur

If Jon is going to rule 7 Kingdoms, Dani has to die but who will kill her?

Maybe she dies accidentally falling off her dragon as she sore soars through the sky.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

So Varys dies? Aww, I liked him. https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Varys">https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Varys

Death count in episode 5

From CNN

1 Varys +

1 Euron +

1 Qyburn +

1 Hound +

1 Mountain +

1 Jaime Lannister +

1 Cersei Lannister +

1 Leader of the Golden Company who never knew what was coming +

The better part of several armies +

The better part of a million Kings Landing residents =

———

1,000,000 people, probably. A MILLION! Yikes.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

@realAzhyaAryola

After that episode...

...I need to be alone...
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Bricktop

There was a huge logical error IMO -- in the last episode after dany's second dragon got shot down, she retreated from the iron fleet because they were flinging arrows everywere and were stronger than her and her dragon.  But in last nights episode in less than 30 seconds she and her ONE dragon destroy the whole iron fleet.

Overall the battle was so ridiculously easy, the men manning the crossbows at the castle never shot arrows at the dragon, and it laid waste to everything .  There was no resistance whatsoever. It was like watching tanks roll over rebellious bunny rabbits.

Also the total 180 of dany's character from empathetic slave freeing ruler over 7 1/2 seasons and then breaking completely bad right at the end of 8 and turning tyrant seems an overreach to me.

I think they got it right.

The other dragon was killed by a Scorpion because Dany did not know they possessed such a weapon and it was a surprise attack.

It would have been far dumber if they got caught napping again. She attacked from the rear and side, and at a low angle, giving the non maneuverable Scorpions no chance.

The total carnage was the culmination of 8 years...not the Night King battle. It's clear that it was the sideshow that served to make everyone believe that Dany was the rightful inheritor and noble ruler. The battle was ridiculously easy because the story tellers wanted to make clear that Dany was no better than Cersei...or her mad father before her. She simply did what her father could not. Total and absolute destruction.

Well played, guys. Nobody saw that coming, and now everything falls into place.

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Bricktop"

I think they got it right.

The other dragon was killed by a Scorpion because Dany did not know they possessed such a weapon and it was a surprise attack.

It would have been far dumber if they got caught napping again. She attacked from the rear and side, and at a low angle, giving the non maneuverable Scorpions no chance.

The total carnage was the culmination of 8 years...not the Night King battle. It's clear that it was the sideshow that served to make everyone believe that Dany was the rightful inheritor and noble ruler. The battle was ridiculously easy because the story tellers wanted to make clear that Dany was no better than Cersei...or her mad father before her. She simply did what her father could not. Total and absolute destruction.

Well played, guys. Nobody saw that coming, and now everything falls into place.

Well in the previous episode instead of retreating, Why couldn't she have just re-maneuvered the dragon to swoop down and attack the fleet from the back and side at a low angle. :001_tongue:  :laugh:

You make some good points, and I get the Dany as a tyrant theme, and its a cool idea---- *BUT*---- I think they developed it very clumsily-- IMO If you're going to have a character do a 180 it should occur slowly over a long time.  If you saw breaking bad-- that's what they did with the main character-- very slowly, over each episode, he got a little worse, so the transformation was very believable.  Dany went from super good guy to super bad guy in pretty much just two episodes.  As the article peaches wrote says its doesn't seem like believable writing, it seems, like much of this seasons writing, convenient, plot oriented.

Bricktop

Well, we are dealing with a fantasy...and a very complex fantasy at that.

I doubt any TV series has maintain a thoroughly coherent plot through 8 seasons.

I think the entire plot, in retrospect, was to bring us to a point where dear, sweet, angelic (but let's be honest, occasionally brutal and unforgiving) Dany showed her true colours.

The clues were there in her merciless elimination of those who resisted her. But what is clear now is that her whole game was to remove potential opponents to her rule.

Plot holes aside, well played.

@realAzhyaAryola

She was always power hungry. Always driven to rule the 7 kingdoms. She never showed warmth to the Starks if it were not for Jon.

I am disappointed in Jaime. He left Brienne to be with Cersei with whom he has an incestuous relationship. I hoped he would turn around. It appears he is comfortable with their incestuous love.

I hate Tyrion for freeing him so he can be with Cersei. I wanted Cersei to be burned down to her teeth and bones by Rhaegal.

I am glad Arya did not go on to confront Cersei. It would not have been believable for her to survive a fight with the hideous Mountain.

Varys is a conniving fat slob. I'm glad he's burned out.  :laugh3:  :laugh3:

Pleased to see that Qyburn has been eliminated.

Sorry to see the Hound gone.

Glad to see the end of Euron Greyjoy. He was a pig on two legs.

All this destruction because Daenerys cannot have Jon? How ruthless.

Watch out for Grey Worm, Jon. He could hurt you if you try anything with Daenerys.

I wonder how he feels about her now. Is she still his queen? I cringe.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

@realAzhyaAryola

Question:

Was it Jaime who rang the bell? What was that supposed to signal?
@realAzhyaAryola

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Bricktop"Well, we are dealing with a fantasy...and a very complex fantasy at that.

I doubt any TV series has maintain a thoroughly coherent plot through 8 seasons.

I think the entire plot, in retrospect, was to bring us to a point where dear, sweet, angelic (but let's be honest, occasionally brutal and unforgiving) Dany showed her true colours.

The clues were there in her merciless elimination of those who resisted her. But what is clear now is that her whole game was to remove potential opponents to her rule.

Plot holes aside, well played.
I hear ya Brick

They did leave some bread crumbs along the way here and there, showing she had a bad side, like when she burned the Tarleys for not yielding.  Just iMO not enough and not as recently.  BUT then Every show, even the best, have faults

Warts and all, I still love the show.