Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

King Richard III of England Reburied

Started by Romero, March 27, 2015, 02:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romero

QuoteA maligned monarch found under a parking lot was buried in pomp Thursday, as Britain embraced comeback King Richard III, a long-reviled ruler who is experiencing a remarkable posthumous renaissance.

Royalty, religious leaders and actor Benedict Cumberbatch joined archaeologists, Richard's distant relatives and curious Britons for a service in Leicester Cathedral that saw the king's bones buried with dignity, 530 years after his violent death.

"Richard's posthumous reputation has been less than glorious," Gordon Campbell, the University of Leicester's public orator, noted with understatement about a man whose name was long a byword for villainy.

Twenty first-century Britain has enthusiastically embraced the story of the medieval king whose battle-scarred skeleton was found under a parking lot in Leicester in 2012.

In his sermon, Bishop of Leicester Tim Stevens said the discovery of the skeleton "has broken open not just a car park, but a nation's story."

Stevens said Richard was found just 40 metres from where he was being reburied — but his journey from ignominy to honour was evidence that "reputation does not have the last word, for Richard or for any of us."

Scientific sleuthing — including radiocarbon dating, bone analysis and DNA tests — confirmed the remains belonged to the long-lost king, who died at the Battle of Bosworth, near Leicester, in 1485.

The victor, Henry Tudor, went on to reign as King Henry VII and founded the Tudor dynasty.

Richard was buried, without a coffin, in a church that was later demolished. For centuries his image was defined by William Shakespeare's Richard III: a hunchbacked, power-hungry tyrant who murdered his two young nephews because they were rivals for the crown.

Some historians argue that Richard was a relatively enlightened monarch whose reign between 1483 and 1485 saw reforms including the introduction of the right to bail and the lifting of restrictions on books and printing presses.

The coffin was made by Canadian-born Michael Ibsen, a 17th great-grandnephew of Richard whose DNA helped identify the parking-lot skeleton.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/richard-iii-reburied-in-leicester-after-remains-found-under-parking-lot-1.3011483">//http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/richard-iii-reburied-in-leicester-after-remains-found-under-parking-lot-1.3011483

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
QuoteA maligned monarch found under a parking lot was buried in pomp Thursday, as Britain embraced comeback King Richard III, a long-reviled ruler who is experiencing a remarkable posthumous renaissance.

Royalty, religious leaders and actor Benedict Cumberbatch joined archaeologists, Richard's distant relatives and curious Britons for a service in Leicester Cathedral that saw the king's bones buried with dignity, 530 years after his violent death.

"Richard's posthumous reputation has been less than glorious," Gordon Campbell, the University of Leicester's public orator, noted with understatement about a man whose name was long a byword for villainy.

Twenty first-century Britain has enthusiastically embraced the story of the medieval king whose battle-scarred skeleton was found under a parking lot in Leicester in 2012.

In his sermon, Bishop of Leicester Tim Stevens said the discovery of the skeleton "has broken open not just a car park, but a nation's story."

Stevens said Richard was found just 40 metres from where he was being reburied — but his journey from ignominy to honour was evidence that "reputation does not have the last word, for Richard or for any of us."

Scientific sleuthing — including radiocarbon dating, bone analysis and DNA tests — confirmed the remains belonged to the long-lost king, who died at the Battle of Bosworth, near Leicester, in 1485.

The victor, Henry Tudor, went on to reign as King Henry VII and founded the Tudor dynasty.

Richard was buried, without a coffin, in a church that was later demolished. For centuries his image was defined by William Shakespeare's Richard III: a hunchbacked, power-hungry tyrant who murdered his two young nephews because they were rivals for the crown.

Some historians argue that Richard was a relatively enlightened monarch whose reign between 1483 and 1485 saw reforms including the introduction of the right to bail and the lifting of restrictions on books and printing presses.

The coffin was made by Canadian-born Michael Ibsen, a 17th great-grandnephew of Richard whose DNA helped identify the parking-lot skeleton.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/richard-iii-reburied-in-leicester-after-remains-found-under-parking-lot-1.3011483">//http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/richard-iii-reburied-in-leicester-after-remains-found-under-parking-lot-1.3011483

Yes, I read this Romero..

I will read the details about it tonight though.

Thank you for posting it.

Annie

I did my family tree a few years ago and discovered that I'm a descendant of the Tudors! And Henry the 8th and all the Henry's lolol Oh and Caeser, I'm a descendant of him too....woooo
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"I did my family tree a few years ago and discovered that I'm a descendant of the Tudors! And Henry the 8th and all the Henry's lolol Oh and Caeser, I'm a descendant of him too....woooo

your royal highness Annie

ac_smile

Romero

Quote from: "Annie"I did my family tree a few years ago and discovered that I'm a descendant of the Tudors! And Henry the 8th and all the Henry's lolol Oh and Caeser, I'm a descendant of him too....woooo

Very cool!

One of your home movies:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXNf9dxnQrM

Annie

Haha. Did you know that Prince William and Kate Middleton are 7th cousins? I'm related to them too lolol
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Annie

I was amazed at how many Royals who are married are actually related to each other.

@realAzhyaAryola

R, that is an incredible story. I'm glad he received a proper burial. ac_drinks

Queen Annie!  ac_biggrin  That has a nice ring to it, Annie! ac_dance
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"Haha. Did you know that Prince William and Kate Middleton are 7th cousins? I'm related to them too lolol

Does that mean Kate and Harry are related to each other.

ac_wot

@realAzhyaAryola

One of your home movies:

I followed this show religiously. The acting was incredible and the story salacious! Even the Archbishop was salacious! ac_toofunny
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"
One of your home movies:

I followed this show religiously. The acting was incredible and the story salacious! Even the Archbishop was salacious! ac_toofunny
I never saw it Azhya.

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Fashionista"
I never saw it Azhya.

Any period film will excite me, Fash, more so if it is historical rather than fiction.
@realAzhyaAryola

Annie

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Annie"Haha. Did you know that Prince William and Kate Middleton are 7th cousins? I'm related to them too lolol

Does that mean Kate and Harry are related to each other.

ac_wot

Yep! They're 7th cousins!

@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

Annie