Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:39:50 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

Starbucks pulls plug on effort to solve racism in America

Started by Anonymous, March 23, 2015, 07:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Reuters) - Starbucks Corp <sbux.o> head Howard Schultz told employees on Sunday they will no longer be encouraged to write "Race Together" on drinks cups, but the company's effort to promote discussion of racial issues "is far from over".

The world's biggest coffee chain kicked off a U.S. race relations campaign last week when it published full-page ads in major U.S. newspapers with the words "Shall We Overcome?" at center page and "RaceTogether" and the Starbucks logo near the bottom.

Employees behind the counter were also given the option of writing "Race Together" on customers' cups.

The campaign was met with skepticism on social media, with many complaining the company was overstepping it boundaries with a campaign on sensitive cultural topics that had no place in the coffee shop's lines.

Starbucks said the phase of the campaign that involved messages on drink cups was always scheduled to end Sunday.

"I know this hasn't been easy for any of you – let me assure you that we didn't expect universal praise," Chief Executive Schultz wrote in a letter to staff and released by the company on Sunday. "We leaned in because we believed that starting this dialogue is what matters most."

Schultz said Starbucks plans more "Race Together" activities, including efforts to expand into urban neighborhoods, hire 10,000 "opportunity youth" over the next three years, and produce advertising on the campaign with Gannett Co.'s <gci.n> USA Today.

Obvious Li

the whole thing was just another white liberal guilt cluster  fuck fandango that was bound to fail..until society is prepared to admit that off white races propagate the majority of racism around the world this is going nowhere with normal people....silly dick heads at starbucks.... ac_beating

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"the whole thing was just another white liberal guilt cluster  fuck fandango that was bound to fail..until society is prepared to admit that off white races propagate the majority of racism around the world this is going nowhere with normal people....silly dick heads at starbucks.... ac_beating

I try to avoid controversial topics with people I know..

I would feel so awkward if a stranger began a conversation like that, that I would leave and never come back.

Renee

Nobody wants to be lectured about race relations while being overcharged for bad trendy coffee. Just more Pacific Northwest, white liberal stupidly.

The whole concept was one for the retarded books.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

The most poorly thought out attempt by corporate America to gain social capital I have ever seen. Thumbs down.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Nobody wants to be lectured about race relations while being overcharged for bad trendy coffee. Just more Pacific Northwest, white liberal stupidly.

I do not want to be lectured by strangers about anything..

That is getting too familiar for my tastes.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Renee"Nobody wants to be lectured about race relations while being overcharged for bad trendy coffee. Just more Pacific Northwest, white liberal stupidly.

i don't get it....starbucks coffee for all intents and purposes is undrinkable...couple that with exorbitant price gouging and the question becomes...why would anyone drink it ????..

there really is no correct answer.......rhetorically speaking..... ac_beating

Renee

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

i don't get it....starbucks coffee for all intents and purposes is undrinkable...couple that with exorbitant price gouging and the question becomes...why would anyone drink it ????..

there really is no correct answer.......rhetorically speaking..... ac_beating

You're right, I can't figure out how people drink it either. To me it always tastes burnt and it's generally so strong that it gives me the shakes.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

My Ex loved Starfucks!  Maybe it was the price subconsciously directing her towards it!  It's more expensive, so it must be better!

McDonald's coffee is better, for less price...  How dare she ever drink that swill though...  Bitch.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Lucky Number 8"My Ex loved Starfucks!  Maybe it was the price subconsciously directing her towards it!  It's more expensive, so it must be better!

McDonald's coffee is better, for less price...  How dare she ever drink that swill though...  Bitch.

i'm a big mcdonalds coffee fan..we generally buy mcdonalds mccafe coffee at superstore for home use.....good stuff ....... :howdy: #8

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Lucky Number 8"My Ex loved Starfucks!  Maybe it was the price subconsciously directing her towards it!  It's more expensive, so it must be better!

i'm a big mcdonalds coffee fan..we generally buy mcdonalds mccafe coffee at superstore for home use.....good stuff ....... :howdy: #8

I buy the espresso dark roast coffee beans from Safeway..

My husband likes it..

I grind the beans at home.

Renee

Expensive = good; shades of $200 dollar salt and pepper shakers, eh Mel?  ac_umm

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

Expensive = good; shades of $200 dollar salt and pepper shakers, eh Mel?  ac_umm

Oh my, that is far too much money to spend on something unnecessary.

ac_huh

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Renee"

Oh my, that is far too much money to spend on something unnecessary.

ac_huh

not for the one man wolf pack..... ac_drinks