Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

New slogan for Indiana

Started by Gay Boy Roberto, March 29, 2015, 01:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gay Boy Roberto

The White House says an Indiana law that allows businesses to turn away gay and lesbian customers by invoking "religious freedom" runs contrary to U.S. ideals.

"The signing of this bill doesn't seem like it's a step in the direction of equality and justice and liberty for all Americans," said Press Secretary Josh Earnest, noting that the administration's view was shared by the Republican mayor of Indianapolis and a "whole host of nonprofit and private-sector companies who have legitimate concerns about the impact of this legislation."

Earnest noted that a number of businesses and nonprofit organizations have said Gov. Mike Pence's decision to sign the measure into law has prompted them to reconsider doing business in the state. That includes the NCAA, which is hosting the men's basketball Final Four in Indianapolis.

http://crooksandliars.com/files/imagecache/node_hot/mediaposters/2015/03/31198.jpg">
People hate as they love, unreasonably.

- William Makepeace Thackeray

@realAzhyaAryola

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/03/29/why-the-backlash-against-indiana-and-not-other-states-with-similar-laws-timing/">http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... ws-timing/">http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/03/29/why-the-backlash-against-indiana-and-not-other-states-with-similar-laws-timing/

Gov. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) can't seem to figure out why his state has been the focus of condemnation and boycotts after having passed a version of "religious freedom" legislation that already exists in 19 other states. Pointing out those states, Pence told a reporter from the Indianapolis Star, "I just can't account for the hostility that's been directed at our state."

We can. Pence's problem is that the 19 other laws were largely passed well before the recent and dramatic swing toward support for gay marriage — and after a similar bill was vetoed by the Republican governor of Arizona.

In 2011, support for same-sex marriage passed 50 percent in Gallup polling, the same year that New York's legislature passed a law allowing marriage in that state. New York was still at the front end of the wave of states approving gay marriage; to that point, the trend had mostly been the opposite. When the federal government passed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act in 1993, a bill that made the same accommodations that are seen in Indiana's bill, a number of states echoed it. By 2003, 12 of the 19 states to which Pence referred had RFRA-like bills on the books. By the time the Supreme Court weighed in on two key gay marriage questions in June 2013, the total was 18 — only Mississippi had yet to pass its similar law.

Shortly before Mississippi's measure was passed, a national outcry arose over a bill that passed the legislature of Arizona. Ultimately, then-Gov. Jan Brewer (R) rejected that measure, after weeks of boycott threats from organizations and corporations concerned about being seen as friendly to a state that allowed businesses to deny service to gay couples.

Pence and the Indiana legislature did something similar to what those 19 states had done, but in a moment that included more scrutiny on gay issues and after public opinion had shifted away from blocking the rights of gay couples. Whether or not boycotts and outrage will extend to the other 19 states remains to be seen, but, by planting its stake in the ground at this moment, it's obvious why Indiana is already seeing such a backlash.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

I don't know what to say about either article..

I guess thank you Azhya and gbb.

ac_smile

easter bunny

Note to self:

Don't announce your sexual orientation upon entering a store lest the owners not be wanting to serve straight people.   ac_rollseyes

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"Note to self:

Don't announce your sexual orientation upon entering a store lest the owners not be wanting to serve straight people.   ac_rollseyes

Discrimination is terrible.

easter bunny

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Agreed, but I'm a bit confused as to why the issue should even come up. Maybe if one orders a wedding cake or something it might happen, but then business owners should also have the freedom to show that they're jerks.

Berry Sweet

Is this that starbucks thing?  I was just posting about that with a friend...

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"

Agreed, but I'm a bit confused as to why the issue should even come up. Maybe if one orders a wedding cake or something it might happen, but then business owners should also have the freedom to show that they're jerks.

Frankly easter bunny, I am a little tired and only skimmed both articles.

ac_blush

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Fashionista"I don't know what to say about either article..

I guess thank you Azhya and gbb.

ac_smile

I don't care what two consenting adults, same sex or opposite sex, do behind closed doors. I also believe that lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgenders should not have to  parade themselves. Straight folks don't do that. Your sexual preference is not entertainment like Mardi Gras. If it's so natural, then just let it be. I mind my own business and you mind your own. However, to turn them away because of their sexual preference is going backwards. It is disappointing.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Renee

The truth of the matter is all this outrage doesn't really exist. All of this so-called outrage is mainly centered on the far left. This is mostly media contrived nonsense.  The majority of Americans really couldn't give a crap enough to give it more than a passing thought.

This is another example of the squeaky wheel.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"
I don't care what two consenting adults, same sex or opposite sex, do behind closed doors. I also believe that lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgenders should not have to  parade themselves. Straight folks don't do that. Your sexual preference is not entertainment like Mardi Gras

Thank you!  I'm tired of this as well.

easter bunny

ac_blush

That's all you need to do Fash. Same old game of tit for tat hair pulling.

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"Agreed, but I'm a bit confused as to why the issue should even come up. Maybe if one orders a wedding cake or something it might happen, but then business owners should also have the freedom to show that they're jerks.

ac_blush

That's all you need to do Fash. Same old game of tit for tat hair pulling.

I see easter bunny, thank you.

easter bunny

Romero

Quote from: "Renee"The truth of the matter is all this outrage doesn't really exist. All of this so-called outrage is mainly centered on the far left. This is mostly media contrived nonsense.  The majority of Americans really couldn't give a crap enough to give it more than a passing thought.

This is another example of the squeaky wheel.

QuoteIndiana Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Kevin Brinegar comments on SB 101, the Religious Freedom Restoration bill, becoming law today and the reaction to that:

"In our eyes, the law is entirely unnecessary. The reactions to it are not unexpected or unpredicted; passing the law was always going to bring the state unwanted attention.

"Yet we are optimistic that the public overall will continue to look to Indiana as a place to come to do business, attend a convention or enjoy a sporting event. Indiana has shown time and time again – whether it's hosting the Super Bowl or working with companies to bring new jobs to the state – that it's full of individuals and businesses who are truly welcoming and hospitable.

"Businesses are open for business and want to continue to serve customers in Indiana and throughout the country. That's the message we are hearing from our members and want to communicate."

http://www.indianachamber.com/">//http://www.indianachamber.com/