The best topic

Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Safe Guns?

Started by RW, April 17, 2015, 12:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Frost"When buying a gun there is a call to the ATF which is federal so it's all 50 states.

Any mental issue may, or may not be in a police database, likely not unless arrested.

The thing is those databases isn't tied together as much as they should be, so the ATF will okay a gun to a mental nut job.

There is a hole in the system that needs closed for mentally ill, if violent they should be in a database even if it's under the privacy gray area.

It only appears in the database if the wackos are convicted of an offense as I thought.

Frost

It really don't matter about the database as it is, you can get in the paper want adds, or computer to find people selling guns all over the place.

No check needed buying from a private party.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Frost"It really don't matter about the database as it is, you can get in the paper want adds, or computer to find people selling guns all over the place.

Same here in Canada Frosty. You want a gun, you can get it. No courses and licenses required.

Renee

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Frost"
Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Frost"They also need to work on keeping the mentally ill from getting hold of guns, some of the mass shootings the last few years has been on the feds.

They get a call from the gun dealers when selling a gun, and they have to do a background check.

One of the questions is have you been deemed mentally unstable. Apparently answering those questions is a waste of time since nobody checks if they are true.

You can't really check into a person's mental health. HIPAA laws prevent any kind of inquiry into an applicants mental health history. The whole concept of a mental health background check is purposely set up for failure. It is simply another example of the ineptitude of our so-called law makers.

True, but when it's known like some was they should be kept from guns, many are in the police databases.

Does this depend on which state a person lives in Renee and Frost?

The ATF NICS check is the only nationwide check system available to firearms dealers. As Blue stated it is a criminal data base; mental health doesn't really come into play unless you have a conviction that can be attributed to psychotic behavior.

In the case of a mentally ill person who has never been convicted of a crime there is no way to do a real mental health check. Federal protection laws known as HIPAA (The Federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) protects a person's medical confidentiality and prevents anyone (even law enforcement) from delving into your medical records. In certain states you can sign a waiver that allows law enforcement to acquire and review your medical records but it is generally only when applying for a hand gun permit, class III tax stamp or concealed carry permit.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Frost

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Frost"It really don't matter about the database as it is, you can get in the paper want adds, or computer to find people selling guns all over the place.

Same here in Canada Frosty. You want a gun, you can get it. No courses and licenses required.

There should be, and I have thought a long while there should be a good way to take guns into a dealer, and make the sell to a private party.

The shame is that the dealer would charge you for that when the ATF should do it for free.

The way it is you might be selling to a felon, or someone with a restraining order.

Also if your selling to someone out of state that's illegal.

Frost

I forgot to mention, a dealer can refuse a sell if he believes someone is not right in the head.

Annie

Quote from: "RW"They check here.

Well, that's leaves me hooped!  ac_toofunny
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Mel Gibson

Quote from: "RW"They check here.

No they don't.  There is no way to check.  As was mentioned, dealing with healthcare professionals encompasses an expectation of confidentiality, even in Canada.  Actually, they are typically bound by this expectation, and rightfully so.

How it works in Canada, is a healthcare professional would have to deem that his "client" is real threat to society, in laymen's terms.  He (or she) can then forward his concerns to the Firearms Center.  This will most likely effectively prevent an individual from obtaining a licence.  Even so, this isn't very common, but it does happen.  Understand that someone simply telling a Shrink that he's "feeling a little down lately" would by no means justify a warning issued.  They only breach confidentiality if they truly believe public safety is at risk.

The vast majority of individuals are held back from obtaining a firearm due to their criminal records.  Typically, violent and drug related convictions will most likely prevent one from obtaining a licence.

Mel Gibson

Quote from: "Annie"I'm thinking more of in a legal firing range with a licensed teacher.  Make it like a family thing, where we all go together and learn.  My sister in law did it with her hubby and she said it was not only educational but fun.

Every person in Canada that has a firearms licence has proven his/her basic knowledge on handling, storage and use of firearms.  They can bring you anywhere (including any range) and "teach" you the basics.

Mel Gibson

On a side note, the one interesting thing a Canadian Firearms licence does have, even on renewal, is that your spouse must also sign for you.

This doesn't matter if you're single, but if you are married (and they know your status), your spouse must sign you off as "safe."  There's even a number for the spouse to call in private, need be, right where they sign, if they feel "unsafe" or "coerced" while signing.

Interestingly enough, your significant other could have more of an impact than any other entity respecting your ability to own firearms.  No doubt this is due to the fact that most shooting deaths are domestic disputes gone bad.

Mel Gibson

Quote from: "Keeper"After i quit hunting i sold all of my guns and let my F.A.C expire. Im fine with "no guns"

FAC?  Old man... ac_razz

Mel Gibson

And yes, if you have kids, keep your shit locked up.  No matter how well you taught them, kids still like to play cowboys & indians.

My shit hangs on the wall.  But!  I don't have kids.  Shit, I don't even have many visitors.

Understand your responsibilities.  These do vary depending on your surroundings.

Common sense trumps any laws, or no laws at all.  Sadly, some people don't think very well.  And I thought I was "off!"  The more I see & read in the World, the more I realize that most people are more fucked up than me.  And that's not reassuring...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel Gibson"On a side note, the one interesting thing a Canadian Firearms licence does have, even on renewal, is that your spouse must also sign for you.

This doesn't matter if you're single, but if you are married (and they know your status), your spouse must sign you off as "safe."  There's even a number for the spouse to call in private, need be, right where they sign, if they feel "unsafe" or "coerced" while signing.

Interestingly enough, your significant other could have more of an impact than any other entity respecting your ability to own firearms.  No doubt this is due to the fact that most shooting deaths are domestic disputes gone bad.

I didn't know this Mel Gibson..

It seems like a good idea.

Mel Gibson

Quote from: "Fashionista"I didn't know this Mel Gibson..

It seems like a good idea.

Most don't...

I may be the only valid PAL holder here.  My ex had to sign my renewal when we were still married.  I didn't even have to hold a gun to her head!  ac_dunno  ac_wot  ac_toofunny

Mel Gibson

Now, I suppose the applicant could forge the signature, but if that was ever found out, the licence would be stripped.

So, a word to the spouses of firearms owners...  Yes, you are required to sign the renewal form.