Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Born Under A Bad Sign? NOT!!!

Started by Bricktop, April 26, 2015, 08:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

I have a daughter. She is, of course, a fully grown adult.

I have never known ANYONE so gifted by fortune and fortuitous pre-destination as she.

This past weekend was a significant and important milestone in Australia's history; the 100th anniversary of Anzac Day...a day, rightly or wrongly, that Australia celebrates its coming of age as a nation.

Many Australians travel to a place called Gallipoli, in Turkey, each year as a kind of pilgrimage to the site where Australian troops fought against Turkish soldiers in WW1. A ceremony is conducted, remembering and honouring the dead as well as reminding the nation of its Anzac spirit...to hold fast against the odds and never retreat (the fact that they were held down on a beach with their backs to the water may have also been a factor).

Because of the expectation of a massive demand for tickets for this special ceremony, for the first time, tickets were issued by ballot. 3000 tickets for hundreds of thousands of hopeful attendees.

She was, at the time, living in London. The Australian Government, in their spirit of fairness, contacted Australian citizens overseas through their embassies advising them of the ballot. She decided to enter.

Of course, out of the vast numbers of hopefuls, she was successful, and was amongst the chosen few in the stands immediately surrounding the ceremony, whilst the sad unfortunates had to be content with blankets and sleeping bags high on the sandhills overlooking the cove, the ceremony being up to a kilometre distant.

The occasion was a gathering of the luminaries. Princes Charles and Harry, of the UK, heads of State, celebrities, dignitaries and other barnacles on the rump of modern society. Naturally, Australia was represented by our Prime Minister.

Immediately after the ceremony, as she was about to leave the guest's stand, a flunky approached. "Excuse me, would you care to meet our Prime Minister and have some publicity shots taken?"

I can only assume that she is basking in the compensation our family is receiving for the fact that her father was born under a VERY BAD sign, and benefited not one white from Lady Fortune's fickle benevolence.

Well, at least someone benefits from the ill wind.

RW

You were lucky enough to have a lucky daughter.  I'd call that a good sign :P
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

But she gets all the goodies, and I STILL get all the bills!!!

RW

Be happy for her.  Every good she gets for free is one you don't have to pay for.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

HAH!!! Is that what you think?

You will learn otherwise, liebchen, in around 10 years or so.

RW

/me hides behind her dad's wallet
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Bricktop

It is!!! We're so proud, of course.

But this keeps happening to her! When she first moved to the UK basically to try her luck, she worked for a placement agency for 6 months. The girl she replaced was on maternity leave, and was due to return. They offered to keep her on, but she saw a potential conflict with the returning staff member and decided not to. On her last day, the had a farewell lunch, and she walked out wondering what she would be doing for work.

Her mobile rang. "Hello, is that Miss...... This is Charles Poncey-voice of the Barclay Bank. I noticed your profile in Linked In. Would you be interested in a position in our Bank?"

Roll forward 4 years...Assistant Vice President of PR for the Asia Region, located in Tokyo.

If that had been me, the phone call would have been from some asswipe like Bruce saying "Hahahahah...you're unemployed!!!!".

@realAzhyaAryola

Wow. Count your blessings, SPECTRE. ac_drinks

Good night, good people of the blue cashew. Until next time. ac_hithere
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Annie

Whether it's being born under a good or bad sign I know people who will have nothing but good luck their whole life while others have what seems tons of bad.  Most of my good luck friends are happy and most of my bad luck friends are miserable. I think whether a person has good or bad luck their whole life depends how they look at it. You can be happy for the good luckers or resent them.  If you have tons of bad luck you can always remember that it could be even worse. If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.  lol
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"It is!!! We're so proud, of course.

But this keeps happening to her! When she first moved to the UK basically to try her luck, she worked for a placement agency for 6 months. The girl she replaced was on maternity leave, and was due to return. They offered to keep her on, but she saw a potential conflict with the returning staff member and decided not to. On her last day, the had a farewell lunch, and she walked out wondering what she would be doing for work.

Her mobile rang. "Hello, is that Miss...... This is Charles Poncey-voice of the Barclay Bank. I noticed your profile in Linked In. Would you be interested in a position in our Bank?"

Roll forward 4 years...Assistant Vice President of PR for the Asia Region, located in Tokyo.

If that had been me, the phone call would have been from some asswipe like Bruce saying "Hahahahah...you're unemployed!!!!".

What an exciting life she lives.

Bricktop

It is little short of amazing. She has experienced more in her 28 years than I have in a lifetime. She has met movie stars, rock stars, politicians...all by pure chance.

I sure hope her run of luck continues. But you know...I cannot help but feel that we make our own luck in life...and feeling good about yourself, being part of a family, knowing that whatever happens there will always be a home is what is needed as a foundation.