The best topic

Replies: 10392
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:39:50 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Dear Friends

Started by Bricktop, May 10, 2015, 07:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"I haven't seen any political junkies complaining!

Look, it's not a big deal to me Romero. I am just saying what I think the point Sox is trying to make. He believes a separate area for political junkies could attract traffic. However, how does that work when we are STILL on lock down?  ac_dunno

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "SPECTRE"I put this to Fash, but she suggested I seek input from the masses...

I'd like to implement a sub forum, because I believe the "one forum - one index" isn't the best way to encourage people to post.

I'd like to confine the subforum to socio-political issues, with a strict no-flaming moderation. However, that does not mean or imply I want moderator authority...I don't. But I do believe the forum as a whole would benefit from some delineation.

The sub-forum would STILL be the responsibility of the existing moderators in terms of rule enforcement.

A "Sub-Forum Host" might be a more descriptive term for what I propose. Hosting is not moderating.

Anyway, throwing it out there for your consideration...

Of course, if you deny me, I'll leave....

ac_razz

It's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't want to see it become too compartmentalized. I suggest getting rid of the guest area. It's become an area where that gutless candyass bruce trolls us. Put those threads in the main board and open up a political/social sub forum area.

Guest posting has become a place for complaints and insults only..

How do posters feel about forcing posters to join if they want to complain about Blue Cashew?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

How do posters feel about forcing posters to join if they want to complain about Blue Cashew?

Get rid of GP entirely. I am getting sick of drive by trolling from VF cowards.

If you do make a political sub, you have to let guests view it or it will NOT work.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

Get rid of GP entirely. I am getting sick of drive by trolling from VF cowards.

If you do make a political sub, you have to let guests view it or it will NOT work.

I have to go back to work now..

In a day or two, we will have a better idea if posters feel a new sub forum is a good idea or not..

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone.

ac_smile

Odinson

heinzy

'socio-economic' is merely a euphemism for philosophical standpoints, be they in the field of religion; history interpretation or political orientation. Fact of the matter is, everybody has already a fairly entrenched position on all of those subjects, now either tries with missionary zeal to 'enlighten' others, ridicule other viewpoints or viciously defend own p.o.vs. In the end, nothing is gained and it"s a complete w.o.t.

How do I know? For years I battled Neonazis, communists ; sicko freaks; green nuts and Stalinists; revisionists ; antisemitists and pathological Jew haters. All of these people and the political Left, share a common hall mark: rather than deal with reality, they dwell in home spun delusions, phantasies, Utopian irrealism and neither have learned from history nor do they want to learn from it.

Of course, young people interested in pissing contests love to 'discuss' topics of 'socio-economic' nature.

Thanks for reading this far....

Anonymous

Quote from: "heinzy"'socio-economic' is merely a euphemism for philosophical standpoints, be they in the field of religion; history interpretation or political orientation. Fact of the matter is, everybody has already a fairly entrenched position on all of those subjects, now either tries with missionary zeal to 'enlighten' others, ridicule other viewpoints or viciously defend own p.o.vs. In the end, nothing is gained and it"s a complete w.o.t.

How do I know? For years I battled Neonazis, communists ; sicko freaks; green nuts and Stalinists; revisionists ; antisemitists and pathological Jew haters. All of these people and the political Left, share a common hall mark: rather than deal with reality, they dwell in home spun delusions, phantasies, Utopian irrealism and neither have learned from history nor do they want to learn from it.

Of course, young people interested in pissing contests love to 'discuss' topics of 'socio-economic' nature.

I don't disagree with you Heinzy. I know that attempting to persuade opponents to our POV is almost always a waste of time.

However, East Asians are generally more pragmatic than our caucasoid friends. In East Asian democracies, staying the course when something is not working is kind of an unknown. This is why you have centre-right parties in Asia getting support from labour unions and centre-left parties implementing things like open markets, streamlining regulations and other forms of economic liberalization.

Odinson

Hey...

Simply keep throwing money at it... Keep the morons idea alive..

Renee

Quote from: "heinzy"'socio-economic' is merely a euphemism for philosophical standpoints, be they in the field of religion; history interpretation or political orientation. Fact of the matter is, everybody has already a fairly entrenched position on all of those subjects, now either tries with missionary zeal to 'enlighten' others, ridicule other viewpoints or viciously defend own p.o.vs. In the end, nothing is gained and it"s a complete w.o.t.

I couldn't agree more. Unless this place gets a huge influx of new blood, a sociopolitical forum will fail. Arguing sociopolitical point's of view among the regulars will be a complete waste of time. It's all been done before and it is just so tiresome to see the same and worn out arguments chased round and round with no resolution in sight. I do not relish the thought of taking part in a political forum so that the usual suspects can turn each thread into what amounts to nothing but a verbal circle jerk.

But on the other hand, if someone wants to devote the time and energy to maintain a sociopolitical forum then so be it. Let them knock themselves out.  ac_cool
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Odinson

"limited earning potential".

Fuck I´ve only heard asians saying that.

Overall talk about earning potential.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Romero"I don't see the point in having a sub-forum for sociopolitical issues. Why have some threads hidden in a sub-forum when they can just be on the main page? Why only sociopolitical issues?

I certainly don't see how having a sociopolitical sub-forum is going to encourage people to post.

Rom...let us put aside our enmity for a moment and simply consider the practical aspects of what I am advocating.

I know that some feel that throwing everything in one big bucket is preferred. RW is in that camp.

However, as an example, setting aside "discussions", I know many people enjoy the funnies thread. I wanted to add something a couple of days ago, and had to scroll through three pages of threads to find it. Some might find that onerous...and thus dies a popular thread, because its buried beneath issues about Canada, in which a number of us have no interest, and other threads that have little endurance, but remain above the more appealing threads due to their chronological recency.

Personally, I think this is dumb.

I cannot quite understand the resistance to compartmentalising the forum into a few subs...I am advised by your Admin that is not a technical challenge to do so. It does not affect your moderating. It merely points members into the direction of threads they may wish to contribute to on an ongoing basis. The consequence being that when visitors arrive, they will see, for example, "The Blue Cashew" under which there would be a few headings. "GLOBAL Politics", "General Discussion", "Creatives", and an old favourite...the Spitoon, or Dumpster.

The only change is that each sub would have a host who accepts some responsibility to maintain activity.

As I am happy to host a political discussion sub, I thus volunteer to see how it will function.  

I advocate ONLY socio-political issues as a test case. See how it works, and perhaps the rather confusing resistance to creating a number of sub-categories may subside.

That's all.

RW

The more I look at it, the more I have to agree that categorizing seems to be the way to go.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "SPECTRE"because its buried beneath issues about Canada, in which a number of us have no interest

I knew this was really about your dislike of Canadian threads! It's no good reason to make a sub-forum. Who's "a number of us" to you? Because a number of us are the ones posting these threads.

I'd feel pretty foolish for joining an Australian forum and telling them I didn't want to see issues about Australia.

The next time you tire yourself out from scrolling through a few pages, keep in mind there is a search feature.

RW

Most other forums do categories with great success.  Why not try something tried and true?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "SPECTRE"because its buried beneath issues about Canada, in which a number of us have no interest

I knew this was really about your dislike of Canadian threads! It's no good reason to make a sub-forum. Who's "a number of us" to you? Because a number of us are the ones posting these threads.

I'd feel pretty foolish for joining an Australian forum and telling them I didn't want to see issues about Australia.

The next time you tire yourself out from scrolling through a few pages, keep in mind there is a search feature.

Sigh...well, I tried.

This is NOT A FUCKING CANADIAN FORUM...geddit!!! Does the sign say "The Blue Canadians"?

If I go to Van, I expect a lot of Canadian discussion. That is its flavour. The Blue Cashew was intended, according to my information, to be non-national, and non-racial. Hence, "The Blue Cashew". Geddit?

I have NO dislike for Canadian threads, things or people Canadian or any other nation. I have a view that confining your discussion to Canadians actually suppresses other issues, as I have illustrated.

You're no better than Munday, if you cannot set aside personal animosity and at least discuss an issue as THE issue, not the person raising it.

You are being beligerent for its own sake, and you did not even have the decency to reply to my PM in person.

Seems to me someone is carrying a little latent Memebee attitude.