Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Selling Other People's Pics

Started by RW, May 26, 2015, 08:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

hahahahaha

I went through the Contemporary Art exhibition in the National Art Gallery in Ottawa.  I was amazed at what passed for art.
Beware of Gaslighters!

easter bunny

Someone should have gone to prison for that.    acc_angry

Annie

There's a market for pretty much a picture of anything....hhmmm I could make some money.....lol
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Renee

What is considered art is highly subjective. A spilled bucket of paint on the garage floor could be considered art to some and just a freaking mess to others.

Art for the most part is bullshit. It's appeal and valdity is almost totally dependent on the the perception of those completely unattached and uninvolved with it's creation.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

I agree Renee but I like to see some talent involved.  

Does anyone remember James Franco and his imaginary art?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Quote from: "easter bunny"
Quote from: "RW"Dealing with copyright cases is not that difficult.

About Copyright

In most countries, copyright is a legal right that protects original works of authorship (ex: books, music, art). Generally, copyright doesn't protect facts and ideas, but it may protect the original words or images that express an idea.

To learn more about the scope of copyright protection in the US, visit the World Intellectual Property Organization's website. For a list of country-specific copyright websites, please visit WIPO's directory.

Learn more about copyright issues below.

Reporting Copyright Infringements

If you believe someone is using your copyrighted work without your permission, you may wish to fill out this form. You can also mail our designated agent. Please be sure to include a complete copyright claim in your report. Keep in mind that you don't need an Instagram account to submit a report.

Before you report a claim of copyright infringement, you may want to reach out to the person who posted the content. You may be able to resolve the issue without contacting Instagram at all.

To report a claim of copyright infringement, fill out this form.

https://help.instagram.com/126382350847838">https://help.instagram.com/126382350847838

If the TOS specifically state that the forum owns your posts then I'm pretty sure they can do whatever they want.  I think it would override copyright claims. You'd still be the author though, but they could reproduce them and sell them if they wanted to. That's how memebee works.

Quotehttp://memebee.com/vancouver/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3">All posts are property of memeBee.

A forum only owns the images if the owner has surrendered copyright. The forum can say all they want. That doesn't mean its lawful or correct. Memebee does NOT own my images. I do.

Annie

Don't sites like faceplant own your pics once you post on it?
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Bricktop

Quote from: "Annie"Don't sites like faceplant own your pics once you post on it?

No.

No-one owns your pic until you expressly advise them they do. They may assume you give them permission to display, which is common. That is NOT ownership.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

easter bunny

Quote from: "SPECTRE"

A forum only owns the images if the owner has surrendered copyright. The forum can say all they want. That doesn't mean its lawful or correct. Memebee does NOT own my images. I do.

QuoteAll posts are property of memeBee.

I'm not a copyright lawyer but I would interpret that as being an unlimited royalty-free license to reproduce text and images. By posting it you would effectively be agreeing to share ownership.

Bricktop

I'd be happy to take THAT on in court.

easter bunny

You may be right. I've never really given it much thought since everything I post on a forum is intended for the public domain to begin with. If I wanted to retain exclusive rights to something I would put it on a site of my own. I've always assumed that once it's on someone else's site you've basically lost control of it unless you have the resources to hunt down every hard drive that holds it.

keeper

RW

I'm not a copyright lawyer but I would interpret that as being an unlimited royalty-free license to reproduce text and images. By posting it you would effectively be agreeing to share ownership.

The creator of the image retains copyright.  We are using words like share.  The actual verb is "publish".  Another site re-publishes the original image.
Beware of Gaslighters!

easter bunny

Quote from: "RW"

The creator of the image retains copyright.  We are using words like share.  The actual verb is "publish".  Another site re-publishes the original image.

Unless the author signs away the rights then I would agree that ownership is retained, but isn't the act of posting it on a forum the same thing as granting an exclusive license to republish?