Replies: 7419
Total votes: : 3

Last post: May 22, 2024, 02:45:14 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Brent

Free Range Parenting

Started by @realAzhyaAryola, June 01, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

@realAzhyaAryola

I have been taken aback by the philosophy of others. Take for instance my friend Ling. She is of Chinese ancestry but was born and raised in India.

After asking me one Friday what my plans for the weekend were, I told her that I was driving my sons to New York City, a three-hour drive. She gasped and uttered these words to me, "Oh my God, Azhya! You are taking them in your car on a very long drive on the expressway?" I said, "Yes and I have done it before and will do it again. I enjoy getting in the car with my sons and going on the open road to more discoveries and adventures." She gasped again and said, "Oh my God! Azhya, that is not safe! You could be putting them in danger! So scary!" Then she went on to boast what a careful mother she is and how she would never put her children in harm's way. I laughed. Okay, how hovering is she in your opinion?
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Renee

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"I have been taken aback by the philosophy of others. Take for instance my friend Ling. She is of Chinese ancestry but was born and raised in India.

After asking me one Friday what my plans for the weekend were, I told her that I was driving my sons to New York City, a three-hour drive. She gasped and uttered these words to me, "Oh my God, Azhya! You are taking them in your car on a very long drive on the expressway?" I said, "Yes and I have done it before and will do it again. I enjoy getting in the car with my sons and going on the open road to more discoveries and adventures." She gasped again and said, "Oh my God! Azhya, that is not safe! You could be putting them in danger! So scary!" Then she went on to boast what a careful mother she is and how she would never put her children in harm's way. I laughed. Okay, how hovering is she in your opinion?

How hovering???? Overly so , extremely so, insanely so.

Unfortunately parents like that do not realize that by projecting their fear onto their kids, they are raising one of two types of individuals. Children raised in that kind of overly controlling, fear generating environment either become extremely rebellious as they grow into adolescence. Or more often than not they become socially retarded and fearful of the world beyond the apron strings. Either way these children are victims of bad parenting and are almost guaranteed to carry some level of needless emotional bagage into their adult lives.

BTW, I hope you and your kids enjoy NYC. There is more to do and see in that place than you can fit in in a lifetime. It is one of my favorite places and has been since I was a child.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

@realAzhyaAryola

You got that right, Renee. This was from some years ago when the boys were younger. New York City is not too far to me and I enjoy going there. I've taken Amtrak to NYC as well. I've treated a few visiting aunts before to NYC and a show. One of my visiting aunts is a theatre actress in our hometown so I knew she would love a show in Broadway. I've been to a few shows in NYC. It truly is a city that never sleeps. ac_drinks
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"You got that right, Renee. This was from some years ago when the boys were younger. New York City is not too far to me and I enjoy going there. I've taken Amtrak to NYC as well. I've treated a few visiting aunts before to NYC and a show. One of my visiting aunts is a theatre actress in our hometown so I knew she would love a show in Broadway. I've been to a few shows in NYC. It truly is a city that never sleeps. ac_drinks

It's an exciting, but expensive place to visit.