The best topic

Replies: 10413
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 02:03:25 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Re: Retardation On Other Forums

Started by Obvious Li, November 12, 2012, 04:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 21 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

Fash, both you and your husband are skilled workers with careers. What I'm talking about are marginally employed slobs who have no ambition to better themselves beyond the level of incompetence that they currently occupy.

That's not "working class", that's Mel.

You gave the example of ditch digger, but it seems you would say truck drivers are menial workers too..

What about assembly line workers, UPS delivery staff or transit drivers?

Are they menial too?

I am not trying to be a problem, but I wonder which jobs are classified as menial?

Truck drivers such as Mel are menial unskilled labor. They drive loads of dirt or rocks from point "A" to point "B". No thought involved other than "don't crash the truck". They might just as well be flipping a burger at McDonald's for all the skill or ambition it requires.

Now not all truck drives fit that mold but it's a safe bet that most of them aren't setting the world on fire with their ambition to become more than a guy who drives a truck.

Now don't get me wrong, these people are very necessary and some make a decent living but let's be real and call it like it is.

Is there anything wrong with though Renee?

A person gets a job say with a city transit or roads department and stays there..

They like the job, and it provides for a lifestyle they are comfortable with..

I want more for my children, but if someone is happy with that, is it wrong? Are they wrong?

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Fashionista"I never thought of it, but yes, I will stop adding only.

You may have missed it Azhya, but I had a thread where I wrote that I cannot move up with my current employer because I do not have a degree.

ac_blush

Then you either go back to school, Fash, or find another employer. You can still go back to school. I had a friend who took online courses and that worked well for her. You may also explore having a dialogue with your employer if you know them well enough. You may ask what you need to do to be able to move up.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I never thought of it, but yes, I will stop adding only.

You may have missed it Azhya, but I had a thread where I wrote that I cannot move up with my current employer because I do not have a degree.

ac_blush

Then you either go back to school, Fash, or find another employer. You can still go back to school. I had a friend who took online courses and that worked well for her. You may also explore having a dialogue with your employer if you know them well enough. You may ask what you need to do to be able to move up.

I work for the provincial government..

We are facing cutbacks..

Here is the link it was discussed in.

http://memebee.com/asiancanadian/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2153">http://memebee.com/asiancanadian/viewto ... f=2&t=2153">http://memebee.com/asiancanadian/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2153

@realAzhyaAryola

Thanks for sharing that, Fash. You have nothing to fear then if you are in the provincial government. If it is the same there as over here, if you work for the federal government or any part of the government, you most likely will never be laid off.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Thanks for sharing that, Fash. You have nothing to fear then if you are in the provincial government. If it is the same there as over here, if you work for the federal government or any part of the government, you most likely will never be laid off.

It has happened before and our current premier has hinted strongly jobs will be eliminated..

We will see.

Renee

From the menial shit that no one with a brain and a little ambition wants to do, what are these menial tasks that no one with a brain wants to do?

Okay, just as an example. In construction when you have a renovation project, you have a demo crew come in and do a rip out. These guys are nothing but muscle they knock holes in walls for a living and nothing else. It requires no thought process and no real ambition, just brawn, a hammer and the ability to know what shit goes in what dumpster.

No real tradesman wants to do that as a career yet there are people who have been doing it for decades because they have no desire to rise above the little station in life that they occupy.

I think I understand your meaning Renee..

My husband's company provides a type of technology to drilling rigs..

He does skilled work but the rig crew does not?

But they can move up rapidly too and become a driller, toolpush, directional driller or well site consultant.

ac_dunno

Exactly, ambition is up to the individual. Those who want to move up, will move up. Those that don't want to move up or don't want to do more than just the bare minimum won't and those are the people I refer to as "ditch diggers".
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Renee

You gave the example of ditch digger, but it seems you would say truck drivers are menial workers too..

What about assembly line workers, UPS delivery staff or transit drivers?

Are they menial too?

I am not trying to be a problem, but I wonder which jobs are classified as menial?

Truck drivers such as Mel are menial unskilled labor. They drive loads of dirt or rocks from point "A" to point "B". No thought involved other than "don't crash the truck". They might just as well be flipping a burger at McDonald's for all the skill or ambition it requires.

Now not all truck drives fit that mold but it's a safe bet that most of them aren't setting the world on fire with their ambition to become more than a guy who drives a truck.

Now don't get me wrong, these people are very necessary and some make a decent living but let's be real and call it like it is.

Is there anything wrong with though Renee?

A person gets a job say with a city transit or roads department and stays there..

They like the job, and it provides for a lifestyle they are comfortable with..

I want more for my children, but if someone is happy with that, is it wrong? Are they wrong?

No they are not wrong as long as they take pride in what they do and they do a good job. At the same time, if they just go through the motions and don't care about anything but collecting a pay check, are they valuable employees or are they little better than liabilities?

Do you see what I'm getting at?
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Renee

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Woohoo, Renee! Great photo on your avatar! Woohoo! Great orbs, woman! ac_drinks

Jugs FTW.  ac_biggrin

Thanks. ac_drinks

Renee

Annie

I was thinking the same thing....nice jugs!
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

reel

Fash, Carl Marx split capitalist society into three categories, which effectively describe our economy:

Capitalists - the folks who own the means of production

Proletariat - people like you and I who work hard for a paycheque

Lumpenproletariat - leeches on the system

In his opinion, the proletariat were the majority, but also the only ones with value.  The difference between capitalists and proles is pretty obvious, but the difference between the proles and the lumpen can be more subtle.  Beggars and thieves are obvious lumpen, but the main difference between those with worth and tjose without is attitude and motivation.  Those who occupy low skill jobs, but strive to do well and are motivated to produce are proles, regardless of what their work might be.  Those who just show up (or often don't) and work with no motivation or with the attitude that they should get paid just for being there are lumpen.  Mel shows up to work drunk or hung over, if he shows up at all, and he has a bad attitude.  He doesn't try.  He whines.  He moans.  He is lumpen.

Short summary:  Renee is a communist.

Renee

Quote from: "reel"Fash, Carl Marx split capitalist society into three categories, which effectively describe our economy:

Capitalists - the folks who own the means of production

Proletariat - people like you and I who work hard for a paycheque

Lumpenproletariat - leeches on the system

In his opinion, the proletariat were the majority, but also the only ones with value.  The difference between capitalists and proles is pretty obvious, but the difference between the proles and the lumpen can be more subtle.  Beggars and thieves are obvious lumpen, but the main difference between those with worth and tjose without is attitude and motivation.  Those who occupy low skill jobs, but strive to do well and are motivated to produce are proles, regardless of what their work might be.  Those who just show up (or often don't) and work with no motivation or with the attitude that they should get paid just for being there are lumpen.  Mel shows up to work drunk or hung over, if he shows up at all, and he has a bad attitude.  He doesn't try.  He whines.  He moans.  He is lumpen.

Short summary:  Renee is a communist.

Yeah, just call me the red menace. ac_toofunny

Renee

(edit) I hate posting from a phone.

Anonymous

Boy!  Some posters here seem awfully interested in how I pay my bills!  Especially Renee, who doesn't actually work! Lolz...

Renee

Quote from: "Lucky Number 8"Boy!  Some posters here seem awfully interested in how I pay my bills!  Especially Renee, who doesn't actually work! Lolz...

You're a dumbass, how you pay your bills is not the point.  

For all I care you could blow vagrants for nickels to keep the lights on.