Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Don't Tell The Dippers And Obongo, But Canadian Oil Is Better For The Planet

Started by Anonymous, August 16, 2015, 08:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

^Thank you for using the word censor wisely. I do not want anyone here with industry knowledge wasting it on some attention whoring troll. Let him babble on about Obongo, Harper or whatever up in the politics subforum.

Anonymous

Canadian oil is environmentally superior to oil from most other producing countries. It is also true that oil is environmentally superior to other fuels used in the developing world, particularly coal and biomass.

B.C. Green Party MLA and climate change scientist Andrew Weaver co-authored a study comparing coal to Alberta's oil sands. He found that burning coal is 41 times more damaging to the environment than the oil sands.

Countries like China and India rely inordinately on coal. China obtains 69% of its energy needs from burning coal, and has a stated policy to reduce coal to 63% primarily by using more oil. India obtains 44% of its energy from coal, and is actively pursuing strategies to secure an increased supply of oil both domestically and offshore.

As developing countries' populations grow and they industrialize, they require fuel. Many families and small businesses heat and cook with high emission fuel like coal and traditional biomass (peat, wood, animal dung, agricultural waste). Substituting oil for coal and biomass would be a massive step toward better human health. The World Health Organization estimates that the domestic use of biomass and coal results in 1.6 million premature deaths every year.

By substituting oil for coal and biomass, the world would also take a material step toward lowering global GHG emissions. In fact, Canada can contribute far more to GHG reduction by supplying cleanly extracted oil than it ever could through energy efficiency programs here at home, simply because our population is small and our contribution to global GHGs also small (about 1.6%). The opportunity to have this impact is quickly available, by increasing exports of oil, compared to other strategies that are many more years away.

If fuel in developing countries is expensive, it also drives up the cost of food because today's food supply is highly dependent on transportation. High fuel prices also lead to greater demand for biofuels, which in turn drives up the price of basic food crops like corn, rapeseed and sugarcane making them less accessible as food. Attempting to remove fossil fuels from the global food supply chain too quickly, and before adequate and affordable alternatives are available, by trying to constrain their supply, would be catastrophic to billions of people.

Reducing global GHGs requires a mix of strategies. One of those strategies is to replace high emission fuel with lower emission fuel, safely produced. We have the opportunity to do that in the immediate future through expanded pipeline capacity and exports of oil to Asia Pacific. Exporting lower emission fuel, environmentally extracted, to the burgeoning economies of third world countries could make a huge difference not only to GHG emissions, but to the cost of food and the quality of health enjoyed by those populations.

Canada sends millions of dollars to emerging countries to aid in their development. Sending oil would be equally beneficial.

Anonymous

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11902232_853884438052093_6732707564404717562_n.jpg?oh=1780eed1e7a2d24978c68443e823462b&oe=566E54CC">

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "cc la femme"Damn Asia. When we lived there, we found Calamansi  juice . very common there.

Wowzers!! Was it potent, refreshing  and delicious - Being soda lovers, we usually had it in Club Soda  

For taste and strength It makes straight lemon or lime juice look comparably like  wimps

:thumbup:

Yes, zz! I love that too!

I grew up drinking that with all my meals, lunch and supper especially. It's great with ice too on a hot day.

http://www.ramarfoods.com/images/ban-c-juice.jpg">
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "cc la femme"Damn Asia. When we lived there, we found Calamansi  juice . very common there.

Wowzers!! Was it potent, refreshing  and delicious - Being soda lovers, we usually had it in Club Soda  

For taste and strength It makes straight lemon or lime juice look comparably like  wimps

Calamansis are limes aren't they?

Yes, Fash. A cross between lime and lemon and tinier than both. They are the size of a gum ball.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

the shark hunter

http://www.callumhouston.com/index.html\">THE CALLUM HOUSTON WEB PAGE

Romero

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... who is this obongo whose name i see here from time to time?

It's a racist term for President Obama, making fun of his African ancestry.

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

the shark hunter

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "the shark hunter"... who is this obongo whose name i see here from time to time?

... i see.  thank you, Romero!  ac_smile
http://www.callumhouston.com/index.html\">THE CALLUM HOUSTON WEB PAGE

Romero

You're welcome!

Quote from: "cc la femme"Never miss a golden opportunity to throw out the "r" word

I'm just answering shark hunter's question. It is a racist term, so why wouldn't I tell him it is?

Sugarcoating is for the politically correct. That may be your style but it's not mine.

Anonymous

I doubt that is what the person who wrote the op meant. But, it is meant as an insult. Like saying Africa is a backward continent. It's Gary Oak or EU style and unbecoming of adults.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"

I doubt that is what the person who wrote the op meant. But, it is meant as an insult. Like saying Africa is a backward continent. It's Gary Oak or EU style and unbecoming of adults.

It is immature seoulbro.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"You're welcome!

Quote from: "cc la femme"Never miss a golden opportunity to throw out the "r" word

I'm just answering shark hunter's question. It is a racist term, so why wouldn't I tell him it is?

Sugarcoating is for the politically correct. That may be your style but it's not mine.

You got me. I am racist towards half Kenyan, half white American guys.  :crazy:

Lance Leftardashian

I care, you pay

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"Barack is concerned about the Canadian environment.

:oeudC: