News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10404
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:47:48 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Is it time for South Carolina to take down the Confederate flag?

Started by J0E, June 22, 2015, 03:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should South Carolina take down the Confederate Flag?

No
4 (44.4%)
Yes
3 (33.3%)
I don't know
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: June 27, 2015, 03:57:50 PM

cc

Yes, it is

BTW - not sure if it got mentioned - Lovely Niki says the flag comes down!!!
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Frost

It really should, or at least put where it belongs in a museum.

Keeping that up after those deaths, and the American flag down really does give that one supremacy.

Frost

Goodnight CC ac_flower  and goodnight everyone else.  :howdy:

Bricktop

Quote from: "cc la femme"Hi guy!!

Exactly. See above for classic example

I'm not going to discuss his hatred any longer. .. .will just let him hate and move on without comment

Anyhow Frosty, I'm jealous. Wish I lived in your wonderful state. Used to stop in it a lot and stay a while  on the way from Ontario to Nashville and / or Florida

cc, I admire your loyalty to your adopted country, but you are very, very confused. If my son doesn't something wrong, and I admonish him, is "hate" a pre-requisite to doing so?

I have often criticised my own country. Do you think I "hate" it?

Yet when people criticise the US, it must be because of "hate". Or being "anti-American", or some other silly epithet intended to demonise its critics.

Accusing me of hatred does not render my criticism invalid, nor wrong. If you wish to address my comments on their merit, by all means, do so. But by accusing me of being emotive for its own sake, you simply render your position ludicrous. Feel free to dispute and debate, but kindly do not try to assume my emotional state. I do not hate America.

I despise its conduct, values and vanity...but recognise that we are still family.

J0E

I don't think the Confederate flag is anymore a symbol of hate than the American flag is.

However, it has been used by racists and racist groups to justify their policies.

The Confederate flag was used in battle to identify the Confederate States of America and was designed by one of its generals, PTG Beauregard, a French speaking Louisianan. So while it has been misused, equating this flag with hate could be said of the US flag too. Some years ago, a guy in Phoenix shot a sikh to deth mistaking him to be an Arab. He shouted, I am a Patriot and a lover of the US flag. But does this mean the American flag is a symbol of hate? Similarly, someone from the South may sport the Confederate flag, but have no ill will against Blacks. Does this mean the flag is still racist?

cc

It doesn't matter, Joe.

As Niki said, if it hurts people, it must go .. and is going

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Frost

I see Ebay is banning the sell of the flag, I think that's wrong, but it's their business.

They have Nazi stuff all the time on there.

cc

Phil O Bat

"Politics makes strange bedfellows." Because politics is not about right or wrong, but power.
\"We are all born with a little spark of madness. And if you let them take that away from you, then you\'ve really lost everything.\" ~ Robin Williams (1951-2014)

@realAzhyaAryola

I am enraged! What next?! We must erase symbols of our history?! I am displeased with this latest nonsense! That flag never hurt anyone. It's those hateful groups that tied hate to it! It was gathering dust, some mold, in trunks throughout the south until members of a troublesome movement chose to revive it, the Klan. They waved it and displayed it, attaching hate to it. I am not for that and millions of southerners are not for that either.

I will never advocate for its destruction. I like the confederate flag. To many, it represents an important time in our history. I don't like it for an ideology of hate that others have associated with it. Although I find no reason for me to buy one and wave it in front of my home, I am not for getting rid of it. Anyway, PCs, you did not win this for those of us who like this flag, we will always like it, no matter what you say or think about it! You cannot take that away from us. You did not win this!!! The confederate flag will always live on!

PCs don't realize the trouble they started with yet another meaningless cause by bringing this up. By doing this, it will have a domino effect of hate because there will be those who will never remove it or take it down and that will lead to more hate. Their choice will spark hate in others because they choose to put their foot down and not be bullied into doing away with a symbol of their pride, custom, tradition, and ways. So, in essence, a move that is supposed to do away with a symbol of hate results, in fact, to more burning hate. Brilliant. What will be next? We will embrace the hijab?! Utter bullshit!This vexes me!
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Bricktop

So, Azhya...how about we allow the flying of the swastika? It meets all the standards you espouse.

How about this one?

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mqZ0VdlKpWqdNmPHcPQq-qw.jpg">.

Apartheid era South Africa.

What that confederacy flag represents is a nation divided, killing itself over slavery.

I fail to see the virtue.

@realAzhyaAryola

Don't be ridiculous, Spectre. I suppose I did a poor job of explaining my position.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Bricktop

You know I'm never ridiculous. Wrong...sometimes...but never ridiculous.

Some flags represent a part of our history that are best consigned to the past. I would think THAT flag is one of them.

@realAzhyaAryola

No. I like to see it once I drive into Mt. Jackson, where it always was. I don't want it removed.

I'm sure many don't like this symbol too but I'll be just as enraged if anyone ever made an issue with it as well. It holds different meaning to different people.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-b6FFXWtzWaw/TdAz_ldUc0I/AAAAAAAAE_o/5Xz0qyDTzUE/s1600/israeliflag.jpg">
@realAzhyaAryola