News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Is it time for South Carolina to take down the Confederate flag?

Started by J0E, June 22, 2015, 03:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should South Carolina take down the Confederate Flag?

No
4 (44.4%)
Yes
3 (33.3%)
I don't know
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: June 27, 2015, 03:57:50 PM

J0E

....given the recent shootings in Carolina in which a White shooter gunned down 9 Black persons in a Charleston?

...what do you think?

Is it a symbol of Heritage or Hate?

Frost

It should be took down, it wasn't heritage when it was put up, and isn't now.

I think by the book it's suppose to be at the back of the building anyhow.

The confederacy lost the war, and they still want to fly a battle flag, it's suppose to be put away after the battle, and after a war is over, or lost.

It's just a way to show defiance is all.

I don't see the flag as raciest as much as the people who are ignorant, and racist that use it as such.

Still, it should be put away out of respect to America as a whole. It has a place, it's just in history.

cc

You are right. It is defiance. Nothing to do with the current thing, it needed to be gone long ago on principle alone

Holy hell. I have to scroll 3 feet  down to "Submit"

Smilies  3 ft down  the right side of my page

Wow - add them or what - I hope I got my "rolling with laughter one
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Bricktop

Why was it ever up?

If my rudimentary knowledge of American history serves me well enough, didn't those rednecks go to war so they could keep their slaves??

I would have thought that hardly a meritorious reason to keep the faith and flag flying. It has a connotation that African Americans may find offensive and repulsive.

But when has that ever stopped Americans from doing dumb things.

J0E

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Why was it ever up?

.....because it would appear that South Carolina was historically the first state to secede from the Union.

Therefore, they may have felt they had the obligation to keep it up.

Here, a brief history of the Flag in song:

Bricktop

J0E

I don't know whether South Carolina should take down the Confederate Flag.

I can see its supporters argument that it is somebody's heritage.

However, on the other hand it is used by radical extremists to push a racist cause:

http://api.news.com.au/content/1.0/heraldsun/images/1227410412431?format=jpg&group=iphone&size=medium">

Perhaps a compromise can be reached. Displayed on some occasions, yet limited on others.Or even a redesign.

The use of the Confederate flag mirrors the use of the Japanese Imperial flag. However, after the Japanese Empire fell, Japan adopted a simpler flag without the rays of the rising sun reflective of peaceful values as opposed to its warlike past.

http://www.jessensrelics.com/images/493-1.jpg">

Bricktop

Frost

The war was about state rights, slavery was just one of the issues. Slavery was on the way out the door also because of modernization, even if it would have been another decade or so.

The south was actually more in the right, fighting for State rights over a supreme federal government.  

Slavery ending came up towards the end of the war.

Bricktop

What other country has fought a civil war on the basis of state rights?

I take your point, but it was the freedom of the slaves which sent the south rushing to the ramparts, simply because of the economic impact that having to PAY workers would have on their economy.

Just another day in America. Money before justice.

Frost

Lincoln was going to let them keep slaves if you didn't know to preserve the union.

cc

It did not start over slaves. Freeing slaves came in part way through the war. The south did not start out for the purpose of  .. if I can say ... saving slavery .. it started out to become a country of its own .. period

QuoteJust another day in America. Money before justice
Jeezzz. That  hot hate for the US knows no bounds .. no era.

Your country is no damned better than the US  ... it's just too tiny to do any damage  ..

Faux superiority does not look good on anyone, much less yourself

I'm finding it very uncomfortable to hear someone consumed by obsessed hot hate  .... and I can  FEEL it!!!!

Frost

Hi CC ac_flower

Secession was an excuse really, but the thing is slavery would have been gone anyhow in the near future.

Countries all over was abandoning it, or doing the share cropper thing which was about as bad as slavery in many places.

What gets me is you hear all this racist stuff, and damning of the US, but no credit for the people who fought, and died to stop slavery.

It's everyone's guilty, everyone owes someone.

cc

Hi guy!!

Exactly. See above for classic example

I'm not going to discuss his hatred any longer. .. .will just let him hate and move on without comment

Anyhow Frosty, I'm jealous. Wish I lived in your wonderful state. Used to stop in it a lot and stay a while  on the way from Ontario to Nashville and / or Florida

Frost

Yeah better off, it's sad anyway you go around it isn't it.