News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 7375
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 04:46:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Odinson

HAPPY STAMPEDE DAY! The Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth!

Started by @realAzhyaAryola, July 03, 2015, 11:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

@realAzhyaAryola

In sum, it is an annual rodeo, exhibition and festival held every July in Calgary, Alberta.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

@realAzhyaAryola

Wiki further explains... The ten-day event, which bills itself as "The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth", attracts over one million visitors per year and features one of the world's largest rodeos, a parade, midway, stage shows, concerts, agricultural competitions, chuckwagon racing and First Nations exhibitions.

The event's roots are traced to 1886 when the Calgary and District Agricultural Society held its first fair. In 1912, American promoter Guy Weadick organized his first rodeo and festival, known as the Stampede. He returned to Calgary in 1919 to organize the Victory Stampede in honour of soldiers returning from World War I. Weadick's festival became an annual event in 1923 when it merged with the Calgary Industrial Exhibition to create the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede.

Organized by thousands of volunteers and supported by civic leaders, the Calgary Stampede has grown into one of the world's richest rodeos, one of Canada's largest festivals and a significant tourist attraction for the city. Rodeo and chuckwagon racing events are televised across Canada. However, both have been the target of increasing international criticism by animal welfare groups and politicians concerned about particular events as well as animal rights organizations seeking to ban rodeo in general.

Calgary's national and international identity is tied to the event. It is known as the "Stampede City", carries the informal nickname of "Cowtown" and the local Canadian Football League team is called the Stampeders. The city takes on a party atmosphere during Stampede: office buildings and storefronts are painted in cowboy themes, residents don western wear and events held across the city include hundreds of pancake breakfasts and barbecues.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Looks like a real hoot.

And not a gay in sight!!!

It is a lot of fun SPECTRE, and we get into the spirit of it every year..

It brings Calgarians together even if it is only over pancake breakfasts..

It doesn't matter your politics or in my case no politics..

It doesn't matter your feelings about gay pride celebrations either..

Petty squabbles are put aside for ten fun filled days.

Romero

Great pics, Azhya! Thanks! The Calgary Stampede is truly a 'one and only' world-class event.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Great pics, Azhya! Thanks! The Calgary Stampede is truly a 'one and only' world-class event.

The whole 10 days is a special time in Calgary Romero..

People seem extra friendly and those that can't do that seem to take their vacations outside of the city at that time.

cc

I have a different take on it. I feel that animals, wagon horses, bucking horses, bulls, calves etc. either get the sh-t scared out of them, or hurt / killed or all the above.

While one of my favorite people, my Calgary cousin, rode there and elsewhere some time ago oblivious to the animal's plight ... I  do not like the way animals are treated at all rodeos.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"I have a different take on it. I feel that animals, wagon horses, bucking horses, bulls, calves etc. either get the sh-t scared out of them, or hurt / killed or all the above.

While one of my favorite people, my Calgary cousin, rode there and elsewhere some time ago ... I  do not like the way animals are treated at all rodeos. Riders make a decision to risk life & limb.. The animals do not.

There are veterinarians present..

The livestock used are expensive and owners take good care of them..

But, the rodeo, while the most famous part of the festival, is only one part.

cc

I know it's only a part of the overall, but scaring and / or hurting animals is how it all came to be.

Other events sprung from it.

Seems mainly Wagon Horses, the primo event,  are killed

Vancouver Humane Society - List of Stampede animal deaths since 1986

The Vancouver Humane Society has compiled a list of animal deaths at the Calgary Stampede since 1986.  The following is the Society's media release, in its entirety, from July 2013:

Definition of "stampede" from Webster's dictionary;  A sudden flight or rush of a number of frightened animals.

These statistics are from the Calgary Humane Society and/or the local media regarding the animals killed in these venues.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-humane-society-list-of-stampede-animal-deaths-since-1986-1.1363418">http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-hum ... -1.1363418">http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-humane-society-list-of-stampede-animal-deaths-since-1986-1.1363418

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"I know it's only a part of the overall, but scaring and / or hurting animals is how it all came to be. Other events sprung from it.

Seems mainly Wagon Horses are killed

Vancouver Humane Society - List of Stampede animal deaths since 1986

The Vancouver Humane Society has compiled a list of animal deaths at the Calgary Stampede since 1986.  The following is the Society's media release, in its entirety, from July 2013:

Definition of "stampede" from Webster's dictionary;  A sudden flight or rush of a number of frightened animals.

These statistics are from the Calgary Humane Society and/or the local media regarding the animals killed in these venues.

cc

I'm not judging. I used to watch it on occasion. Saw a couple of terrible wagon crashes that killed some horses. That was it for me.

I don't like a party pooper role, just telling it like it is .. and expressing my feelings on animal abuse

keeper

Calgary is only a few hours from me and i have only attended the Stampede 3 times i did have a good time, there is so much to do you have to go atleast 3 days to take it all in. Only beef i have is grown men trying to be cowboys, i just dont get the outfit. ac_dunno

My friends used to have a joke about Cowboys:

What do you say to a guy with a IQ of 30

Nice cowboy hat! ac_smile

@realAzhyaAryola

They're just getting into the spirit, Keepz. You know that Calgary is Canada's western town and there are real cowboys there.
@realAzhyaAryola

keeper

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"They're just getting into the spirit, Keepz. You know that Calgary is Canada's western town and there are real cowboys there.

Edmonton is Canada's western town :001_tongue: