Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Can success and parenthood co-exist?

Started by Bricktop, July 03, 2015, 09:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

Yesterday, Australia was devastated by the murder of a coach of one of the leading Australian Football League teams...the Adelaide Crows.

Phil Walsh was stabbed to death by his son in the early hours of the morning, after a domestic confrontation.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2015/07/04/walsh-honoured-with-giant-afl-huddle.html">http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stor ... uddle.html">http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2015/07/04/walsh-honoured-with-giant-afl-huddle.html

He had been involved in football most of his life, and held coaching or support positions in 7 of the 18 clubs that form the premier competition of our national sport. He was an obsessive mentor and leader, proclaiming football was his life. He worked tirelessly for many hours a week to assist in the success of his chosen team. He was an inspiration to his players, guiding and advising them, giving them help and support in their sporting career.

Yet, by his own admission, he became distant from his own son.

The why's and wherefore's of their tragic altercation remains unknown, but what is becoming clear is that Phil Walsh spent too much time on his profession, and not enough time with his family, who had to move three times to different states when he changed clubs.

Was his success worth it?

By any measure, it was not.

The message is clear...as if we needed a reminder...if you wish to be successful in a time consuming and demanding field, to become wealthy, powerful, revered and admired, think carefully about becoming a parent.

All too often we are reminded that in many, if not most cases, the two are incompatible.

RW

Balancing a demanding career and parenting does not usually end well.  I feel for this family as I can relate.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Me too.

It hits home rather hard.

There, but for the grace of god...

RW

Yeah thanks for touching that nerve :P
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Balancing a demanding career and parenting does not usually end well.  I feel for this family as I can relate.

I don't see why it cannot if the parents work at both..

I am not talking from personal experience as I only have a job, not a successful career.

RW

My dad left when I was young to pursuit his career which was extremely successful.  I rarely saw him growing up.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"My dad left when I was young to pursuit his career which was extremely successful.  I rarely saw him growing up.

That must have been traumatic for you RW..

But, our doctor is very successful both with career and family, so it is possible.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I'm happy for your doctor.

I am too, but my doctor is not alone in having career and family success.

RW

I'm happy for all of those people.  I know many who don't.  Maybe we could hook our people up so they can learn from each other.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

There are no doubt some success stories...although fewer than you might think...but there are far too many tragedies.

Anonymous

It all depends on your definition of sucess. I was raised in poverty by my grandmother. So to me....success is contentment under any circumstance. I think people generally set these standards for themselves and sacrifice what's truly important in meeting those standards.  Life requires balance.

RW

Success is measured differently by every person.
Beware of Gaslighters!

keeper

My mother raised 5 children while my father was out working his ass off, its just how it was back then. I was the youngest and didn't really understand why dad wasn't home.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"It all depends on your definition of sucess. I was raised in poverty by my grandmother. So to me....success is contentment under any circumstance. I think people generally set these standards for themselves and sacrifice what's truly important in meeting those standards.  Life requires balance.

We have a similar outlook Dove because that is how I see success..

Than again, if I had a career instead of a job, maybe I would have a different opinion.

ac_umm