Replies: 10404
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:47:48 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Keyboard Shortcuts

Started by Annie, July 10, 2015, 12:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annie

Is there a keyboard shortcut that shuts off sound to the computer? The other night my female kitty was laying on my keyboard and then the next day I discovered I had no sound. No sound for music, videos, notification not even startup sounds. Has this happened to anyone? I've checked device manager and it shows no problem. I updated everything possible. I've looked everywhere in my system and haven't found the solution. Could it be kitty's fault or is it maybe the sound card went? I know my beast is like 6 years old so maybe it's a sign it will go soon? If after day 4 I haven't figured it out I'm gonna format and reinstall the operating system and hope that corrects it.  I also tried a system restore and it just fails every time with every restore point. Also my mouse won't click and hold to drag most of the time. Sooo frustrating  :t1929:
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Bricktop

We do have!!!

What sort of computer?

Annie

It's an all in one big ass beast. Intel Pentium, Windows 7, 64 bit.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

keeper

Try this Annie

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1403988">http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/a ... ?p=1403988">http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1403988

Annie

Ok I just browsed those Keep, some I knew, others I didn't but none can help me with this problem :(

Annie

Can someone please move this thread to Nutty and Nerdy? I didn't look well enough and post this there. Sorry  ac_blush

Annie

Thank you!!!!!! For putting this thread in the proper place  :thumbup:

keeper

Quote from: "GrAnnie"Thank you!!!!!! For putting this thread in the proper place  :thumbup:

No problem Annie  :wink:

Annie

I might go to BestBuy where I have an account and bought through Future Shop and ask a tech guy, maybe they will know....I'v got to get some DVD RW's and a good external portable hard drive anyways.  I'm soo not looking forward to redoing this thing, I have so many other things that need to be done too.

Bricktop

I have a solution.

Take your PC to the nearest dumpster, then go buy an iMac.

Problem solved.

RW

When cards die, they usually get flagged in your device manager.  Not always though.

If your computer has a key for sound, it's usually pretty clearly marked.  Sound is usually managed in the system tray down near your clock (usually bottom right corner).

I would recommend doing a virus scan, just to be safe.

It might be best to take it in to someone who can sit down and trouble shoot.  It's cheaper than buying a new machine.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Odinson

Annie is there with her unplugged headphones on. :D

Annie

Haha Odi. Ya I checked to see if headphones were plugged, it was the first thing I did.  RW, I think I'm missing a sound device, I'm sure I had two of them in device manager but there's only one now.  I did a full scan of everything and found spyware and corrupted registry files. They were fixed but still no sound. Nothing left for me to try so I guess it's a format and reinstall. I'm looking on the bright side, at least I'll get rid of all the junk that can slow it down lol

Bricktop

https://pullquotesandexcerpts.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/silver-apple-logo.png?w=360">

Annie

I went to Best Buy and found some awesome headphones! They're Sennheiser padded and really comfortable for $40. I also got a 64 GB USB for $24 and some DVD RW for $7! Woo! Just finishing transferring all my important stuff onto the USB which could take a couple more hours and then it's onto formatting the beast.