News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Will society eventually fall apart if it accepts gay marriage?

Started by J0E, July 14, 2015, 05:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0E

....this is an argument which has been advanced by religious friends of mine.

They say stuff like "No civilzation has ever held together by accepting gay marriage. That is a fact. Look at Rome and all the others. That's proof." Here's a link which lists some of the arguments against gay marriage

https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/2905/31-arguments-against-gay-marriage-and-why-theyre-all-wrong">https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/290 ... -all-wrong">https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/2905/31-arguments-against-gay-marriage-and-why-theyre-all-wrong

Now...I don't know if that's the truth or not. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Perhaps there were other factors which led to the downfall of these civilizations - or - homosexuality and gay marriage are just symptoms of fundamental problems.which were percolating beneath the surface for a very long time

Anyways, what do you foks think. Is there any truth in that belief?

If so, why?

If not, why not and what are the flaws in this argument? Discuss.

Anonymous

Nope. Society has already fallen apart.  From a Christian stand point, this could be a separation of the wheat and tears.  But it's right on time with all the end time prophesys we are seeing now.

Anonymous

I was hoping it would open a more honest dialog, put us all on the level to respect eachother, but sadly it's going in other direction.

Frood

It's going in a direction your faith can't accept because your faith only accepts itself as the ultimate guide. That's its biggest defect. Intolerance of anything which might unseat it in social power struggles and vacuums.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

The body of Christ isn't interested in social power. Or control. That's right/left mentality that you are incapable of breaking out of....and because of that, you have serious anti Christian bias, an ignorance of the faith, and intolerance of people who don't bow down to your world view.  Believe and live how you want, however, afford the same respect to other people. Why do you care if my faith is my ultimate authority?  Grow up.

Frood

Quote from: "Dove"The body of Christ isn't interested in social power. Or control. That's right/left mentality that you are incapable of breaking out of....and because of that, you have serious anti Christian bias, an ignorance of the faith, and intolerance of people who don't bow down to your world view.  Believe and live how you want, however, afford the same respect to other people. Why do you care if my faith is my ultimate authority?  Grow up.

I don't care one bit which cloud monsters you prostate your philosophy towards. You whack jobs can do whatever you like as long as you equally afford others what they see as their directions.

You don't have to agree, you don't have to attend, you don't have to say or do anything besides minding your own business.

Your damage shouldn't ever be applied to a free society.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Yeah. Ever read animal farm?  You need to work on your hatred towards other people if you want a serious talk about a truly free society and who is applying their "damage".   As alien as this may be to you, it's possible to disagree with people while still having respect for differences, and not spewing venom.

Frood

Quote from: "Dove"Yeah. Ever read animal farm?  You need to work on your hatred towards other people if you want a serious talk about a truly free society and who is applying their "damage".

My hatred?  ac_toofunny

YOU have this peculiar trait where you say you respect others yet demand they subscribe to some of the more unscrupulous fallout of your own equally peculiar ideology. A free society doesn't put restrictions on other people who don't follow the Koran, Torah, or Bible. A free society accommodates all sorts equally.

Are you completely bonkers?  

QuoteAs alien as this may be to you, it's possible to disagree with people while still having respect for differences, and not spewing venom.

I disagree with you, find you to be a complete and utter moron, yet I support you in it to the logical end. YOUR LIFE, not other lives. You talk about respect for differences, you speak of tolerance, you speak out of the side of your mouth. Anyone or any pathway which doesn't somewhat mirror your own beliefs gets vilified by you. You'll oscillate between your spirituality or your State or even Anarchy to what amounts to you grappling in a moral authority preservation grab.  

It's horrific to watch you in action on that. Logic goes completely out the door when you get on your religion soapbox.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

I've destroyed your ridiculous hypocrital mentality so bad I can't believe you still clinging.   The projection you are throwing out is probably the main reason why no one, except rw, is taking you even slightly seriously.  You ARE the religious right. Same shit...same ignorance....different tags.  It's like a drunken old man sitting there talking about "niggers" being entitled to the same rights as everyone else and he is cool as long as they stay in their "nigger nieghborhoods" and do their "niggers stuff" by themselves. That's what you sound like. A hateful, ignoramus who is playing "balance police" when you are failing horrifically at having any.

Anonymous

Believe me, it's a complement that you think I'm an utter idiot.

Frood

ac_toofunny

It must suck being you, being so easily reduced to a puddle of religious and pseudo moral psycho babble when faced with the concept of letting others live their lives outside of your spiritual concrete slab lickings.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

It must suck to be you, not passing 4th grade level reading comprehension and being forced to share space with people who don't want to fuck each other indiscriminately in the streets in front of grandma and people's children. I'm not the one bullying and policing other people. That would be you.

Frood

I would quietly watch if someone from another religion slit your throat.

You're all that worthless in your pitiful attempts at appealing towards social order that I'd be happy blinking for 5 seconds and then suddenly seeing you laying on the ground bleeding out like a loser butt hurt religion nutter.

ac_smile

If I saw it actually happen, then I'd be obliged to help you escape harm. That is my way of life. See? I'm tolerant of your stupidity.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

You aren't impressive, DD. You are a pathetic mental midget who needs to rely on your perceived shock value because you have no intellectual leg to stand on.  I'm sure you'd love watching a young mother be murdered, because you don't like her convictions. You, and your intolerant ilk, are what's wrong with the world. Get help. Seriously. You need help. I feel sad for you. How do you live with such ugliness?

Frood

Whatever you reckon, you clueless and hypocritical christ whisperer.  :oeudC:
Blahhhhhh...