Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

Be prepared to pay more for everything as Cdn dollar drops

Started by Anonymous, July 24, 2015, 09:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I was watching a financial person this morning on the news discussing this..

It will be good news he said in the second half of the year for Ontario and Quebec, but bad for consumers who will pay more for everything we buy..

I remember in the late nineties and early part of this century when our dollar occasionally hit the low sixty cent level..

It will mean a lot of people will have to watch their spending more closely just like it did then.

RW

Yay for inflation!  I'm going to bet $10 Shen will still blame the NDP and their rise in minimum wage.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I was watching a financial person this morning on the news discussing this..

It will be good news he said in the second half of the year for Ontario and Quebec, but bad for consumers who will pay more for everything we buy..

I remember in the late nineties and early part of this century when our dollar occasionally hit the low sixty cent level..

It will mean a lot of people will have to watch their spending more closely just like it did then.

You're right, there will be winners and losers. Ontario's unemployment rate dropped to 6.5%, so we are finally starting to feel the positives of a lower dollar. The second half of the year will see an improvement in Central Canada's fortunes as the recovery takes hold.

A low dollar still won't fix the Ontario government making power more expensive than our neighboring competitor states. But, it's nice to have see some light at the end of the tunnel. Ontario has gone from being the economic engine of Canada to a have not province in a decade and a half. Niagara Falls will be happy to see an increase in American tourists.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Yay for inflation!  I'm going to bet $10 Shen will still blame the NDP and their rise in minimum wage.

No, Nothead's dippers are not responsible for the dollar's decline vs. the greenback. Riyadh take credit for this.

J0E

Quote from: "Fashionista"I was watching a financial person this morning on the news discussing this..

Yay! Let's buy Canadian! No point in buyin' all that crap in the USA or China anymore.

May as well leave our dollars at home and spend them here.

A declining Euro means that if I buy foreign, it'll be high quality items from there instead of America.

Good time to buy antiques and collectables from this country and Europe too.

I've visited the USA once too often anyways. Better to travel somewhere else.

Frood

Quote from: "Frank"

Yay! Let's buy Canadian! No point in buyin' all that crap in the USA or China anymore.

A declining Euro means that if I buy foreign, it'll be high quality items from there instead of America.

All that crap is either manufactured in China, India, and Asia Minor as a whole or the raw materials are. Those raw materials are imported into Western nations and businesses fabricate consumer goods from them, foodstuffs to textiles, electronics, and beyond.

The West lost the manufacturing war decades ago. Most things are assembled-reconstituted from foreign goods or simply re-badged, re-stamped.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Frank"

I would love to buy Canadian Frank and support good union jobs here, but how do I do that?

I heard that even fish caught or farmed in North America is processed in Vietnam.

ac_wot