Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Religion; What WOULD we do without it.

Started by Bricktop, August 02, 2015, 07:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Man will seek out a higher deity.  I agree there is a difference between belief of and in God (Yahweh) and religion.  Born agains, say all the time that they are not religious. Morals are universal and a sort of unspoken known. People know right and wrong. Then justifications (human nature) comes in.  I understand you don't believe in God, but this is consistent with the scripture that God has written his laws in the core (heart) of humanity. To show us our evil and draw us to Him. So it can be argued that without God we have no moral equalizer. If broke down the fall of man to you from Genisis, and the curses put upon us... you'd have to agree it's consistent. Whether you believe it's truth, those who do easily make sense of the world and it's happenings. And are at peace.

Bricktop

And yet humans lived for many thousands of years without god, his morals and commandments, and progressed rapidly. Mayans, Babylonians, Khmers...all pre-date Jesus. They had their gods, its true. But their gods demanded sacrifices to be appeased.

Remember, Rome became the most advanced nation on Earth without god.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"And yet humans lived for many thousands of years without god, his morals and commandments, and progressed rapidly. Mayans, Babylonians, Khmers...all pre-date Jesus. They had their gods, its true. But their gods demanded sacrifices to be appeased.

Remember, Rome became the most advanced nation on Earth without god.
 Our time line in set BC (before Christ) and AD (year of our Lord).  Worship of Yahweh goes back way longer than Christ. We know this. The old covanant and new.  The earliest writings of the bible are estimated 3500 years old. Judaism was to and did blend right into Christianity, as Christ was the final sacrifice for the reconciliation of all humanity (those who will) to God.  Your definition of advanced has proven to be questionable.  I would be careful using Rome as an example of how good people do without God. The bible says the "other gods" were fallen angels and neplim. Which is also very consistent with ancient history. Throwing babies into fire pits and using young girls as temple prostitutes are not the acts of an advanced society....but as I said, your idea of advancement is questionable. The ancient jews had the Torah(old testament laws), and they were washing their hands under running water, and eating clean food.

Frood

The world would go looney. Religion suits those who need it and manages their behavior just as much as it messes with non-believers.

No religion would be just as bad as too much religion.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "Dove"Only this clearly goes against everything the word teaches. So does the "prosperity gospel".  So when nonreligious people commit crimes what does that mean?  That we blame atheism?  Why don't you guys just place the blame on the human who made the choice?

I think we atheists recognise that.

However, it does demonstrate that religion camouflages some very seriously psychotic people.

I don't know much about religions..

I have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

keeper

"Religion; What WOULD we do without it."

The same thing i do with it, nothing!

Bricktop

Mmm...but is that a GOOD nothing, or a BAD nothing?

keeper

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Mmm...but is that a GOOD nothing, or a BAD nothing?

My brothers a Pastor, i have one foot in the door :wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"

My brothers a Pastor, i have one foot in the  :wink:

Your brother is a pastor Keeper?

I didn't know that.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "Dove"Only this clearly goes against everything the word teaches. So does the "prosperity gospel".  So when nonreligious people commit crimes what does that mean?  That we blame atheism?  Why don't you guys just place the blame on the human who made the choice?

I think we atheists recognise that.

However, it does demonstrate that religion camouflages some very seriously psychotic people.

I don't know much about religions..

I have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
Amen!

Bricktop

keeper

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Keeper"

My brothers a Pastor, i have one foot in the  :wink:

Your brother is a pastor Keeper?

I didn't know that.

Yup, Preaches at the Pentecostal Church in Edmonton. :43(2):

cc

Wow. You are surrounded  with goodness. There's hope for you  ac_smile
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

keeper

Quote from: "cc la femme"Wow. You are surrounded  with goodness. There's hope for you  ac_smile

He seems to think so, I used to hate going to his church, he would ALWAYS point out that i was his brother and for the congregation to pray for me,  :oeudC:

cc

Aw, he really loves you

Unlike the rest of us who know better, he thinks you are redeemable  ac_smile
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell