The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

SPECTRE'S ask a retired cop anything

Started by Bricktop, August 13, 2015, 01:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

I grew up, and realised that what seemed like a good idea at 16 (and probably was), was not so sensible at 35.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Yes.

There is an internal investigation unit.

Also, an Ombudsman's Office with powers to review and investigate.

That's almost the same as in Canada SPECTRE.

Bricktop

Yes, everything about Australia is the same as Canada. We are twins, I think.

RW

How did your family deal with you being a cop?  Was it stressful for them?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Very.

It was one of the factors that told me I wasn't going to put them through this for another 20 odd years...the benefits and rewards did not add up.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

It wasn't good.

Plus kids at school getting taunted and bullied.

I don't miss a day.

RW

Kids with a police officer for a dad were bullied?!?!
Beware of Gaslighters!

cc

As I don't know at what point in your life you  came to Oz, I'll ask if you were police in UK?, Oz? or both?
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

keeper

Bricktop

Quote from: "cc la femme"As I don't know at what point in your life you  came to Oz, I'll ask if you were police in UK?, Oz? or both?

Oz.

QuoteDid you get to carry a side arm?

Always. Sometimes something more..er...persuasive...

cc

Thanks for your reply.

Aw. So you have spent most or all of your adult life in Oz, thus likely becoming more an Oz than a Brit?

I realize it is a hard life in many ways for a cop and for his family. I have a lot of respect for the sacrifice of those who do it.

Because of so many who will take advantage of others in so many vile ways,  there would be no civilized society without authority
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Frood

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"

Did you report yourself or did one of your coworkers?

No, I reported myself.

I needed the numbers for end of month.

Were you always this stupid, or did you experience a major car or industrial accident that left you with brain damage?

Take it to the insult section, Gramps.  ac_razz
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "Fashionista"Did you ever see a fellow police officer use excessive force?

Interesting question.

Yes.

But any force can be deemed "excessive". It depends on the situation and circumstance.

They were different days, and community expectations were not as they are today. However, nothing on the scale of force employed by US officers...nowhere near it. And any who did use excessive force were frequently arrested and charged with assault.

These days, I believe it is rare.

When I was about 20, I saw a white and an East Indian cop beating the shit out of an Aboriginal guy who was in cuffs at the time. I don't what he did, but he was obviously no threat to the two cops. Lots of similar stories like that right across this frozen land.

Bricktop

I think the Australia attitude of fair play tempers cops doing something quite so brutal here. It happens, no doubt. But once a guy is in handcuffs, then no further violence should be necessary.

For a start, those fucking things HURT.