Replies: 10405
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:44:14 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Pet Stories

Started by RW, August 17, 2015, 02:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Anyone got any quirky, cool or crazy pet stories.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Anyone got any quirky, cool or crazy pet stories.

My dog loves chases smaller animals including jackrabbits, gophers and muskrats..

She thinks she's tough

We took her to a friend's acreage South Of Calgary for a day..

On this acreage are larger small animals like porcupines and badgers..

My dog ran full steam across a field when she saw a badger, barking and snarling..

She seemed quite surprised the smaller badger was also snarling, bearing teeth and claws..

She didn't know what to do..

So, she eventually gave up when she realized the badger was going to keep standing it's ground..

That was a good decision.

Frood

Quote from: "RW"Anyone got any quirky, cool or crazy pet stories.

Years ago we had a feral cat with a litter of kittens living around a shed of ours. The mother was fearlessly nuts. One time I watched her run full tilt off the roof and leap into the air catching a rosella in her mouth and dropping 4 meters onto the ground like she was in the Olympics.

Anyway, we decided to catch some of the kittens with a baited trap in order to domesticate them before they got too old. Took days to finally succeed since those little kittens had their mothers smarts and could slip into the trap, strip it of food, and be gone in seconds. When they did trigger the trap, I went in after them and managed to repeatedly get bit trying to hold onto two of them at the same time.

Then the mother appeared. She came directly at me like she was a tiger and tried leaping onto me, hissing and snarling. I kicked her off my leg and she came back again and again until I had no choice but to drop the kittens and retreat. We did get one of the kittens later but it took us weeks to win its trust and months before it could be trusted around our children. Smudge was the best cat we ever had. Lots of personality and spirit. I miss him. He had the spirit of a wolf.
Blahhhhhh...

RW

My cat puts one leg up on the litter box when he shits.  We call him "The Captain" because he looks like Captain Morgan when he does it.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Years ago we went away for the day and because it was ungodly hot that day we left our keeshond home. Unfortunately one of the kids left open the door from the house to the garage. The garage is where we keep the dogs dry food in a large plastic container with a lid. When we got home later that evening the dog was lying on the floor not moving. I checked him out and discovered that his abdomen was extremely rigid and bloated. When we realized that the garage door was left open the first thing that came to mind was that he must have gotten into some anti-freeze or fertilizer or some shit. It was very late and our vet was closed so I left a message and said that I would be bringing the dog in first thing the following morning. I spent the rest of the night sitting up with the dog which I was sure wan't going to make it.

The following morning I took him to the vet, he seemed a little better but still very lethargic and uncomfortable. The vet took the dog for observation, testing and X-rays and told me that he would call me when he had an answer. Later that day I got a call to come pick up the dog and that he was okay. When I got to the vet's office they handed me an X-ray that showed the dogs digestive tract.....it was packed full of kibble and shit and told me to leave him outside for awhile because he was going to be crapping his brains out in a few hours. It turned out that he had gotten past the lid on the dog food and eaten God knows how many pounds of food and just had a severe case of indigestion. So I paid my $200 and I got and X-ray.....of shit.

To add insult to injury when one of my daughters were young, she had an awful habit of not stopping long enough to go to the bathroom for fear that she was going to miss something.....What...I have no idea. Shortly after the dog shit X-ray episode, I got a phone call from the school nurse saying that my 8 year old daughter was experiencing severe abdominal pain and that I should come pick her up and take her to a doctor. So I rushed out of work and got to the school to see my daughter walking toward me doubled over in pain. I rushed her to the ER for fear that she had appendicitis. When we got to the ER I had to literally carry her inside. They examined her right away and took her straight to X-ray to see what was going on. They finished the X-ray and made us wait in a room for a doctor to give us the result. About 10 minutes go by and a doctor walks into the room all smiles and says to my daughter "sweetheart, when was the last time you had a BM"? My daughter responds "I don't remember". The doctor then looks at me and say's "mom your daughter is constipated, I'm going to write you prescription for a child's laxative, go home and put a heating pad on her stomach and don't let her stray too far from the bathroom, you can pay your copay on the way out" "Oh and here is your daughters X-ray" and he hands me a large manila envelop.  We get in the car, I open the envelop and what do I see,.....something that looks remarkably similar to the X-ray I got from the dog.

Now I have two X-ray's,....both full of shit. Welcome to my world. :001_rolleyes:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

cc

lol ^

OK, Here's My Tail - Amazing instincts

We had a super Tri-Color Shetland Sheepdog   aka Shelty aka small collie

She was the prettiest, smartest and toughest mut in town - and she strutted  around town knowing it

She was almost identical to this one. Big like this one, as she was a "throwback" to the originals ... bigger and feistier than skinny "pretty" prancy inbreeds we see here today

This image is so close to identical it gave me a start,  like as though our Tammy aka Tam  was reborn

Not Tam, but as close a match as it gets

http://petguide.com.vsassets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/shetland-sheepdog-1.jpg">

Took her for a lazy ride in the county along out of the way county lanes. Noticed a herd of about 10 sheep, so stopped

She was all brighteyed and begging me to let her out. I put her on leash (a rarity) in case she took off after the sheep .

The farmer / owner of the property came over to the fence, looked at her, a way oversized Shelty / through-back to the original Shetland Sheepdog and asked me if I would allow him to test her on sheep.

I told him she had never been close to sheep before. He said he figured that and wanted to test her because she was like the "originals"

He placed her down and pointed to a place behind the scattered sheep and said "Go" - she took off for it at full speed, started circling them low to the ground belly fur touching the ground as only the 3 collie types can do ... changing speeds and direction temporarily to move a slacker into the pack .. No barking, just clicking her teeth at the heels of a slacker but never biting of actually touching them

Example Only

http://www.shetla.dk/Egne/hyrde1.jpg">

Slowly she brought them to where the farmer was.

I was disbelieving my eyes. so proud of her and totally in amazement  ... make that "in awe"

Further, she was the self-appointed protector of our kids and property. NO animal was allowed to come close to either - plus a super gentle loving pet for the kids.  While 22 lbs wet, large Labs, German Shepherds etc.  took off like scared cats when she showed her ferocity and took off full speed straight at them

We were truly blessed for about 10 years .. maybe longer as memories of her never cease
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

I used to have a lazy horse. He did not like people riding him. A friend of mine had an overweight son who would come out to our place with his dad. Of course he always wanted to ride my horse. Everytime the fat kid mounted my horse, Mr Ed would walk under a branch of a tree and try and knock chubby off. It was like Old Faithful. Fat kid on horse, horse under tree branch and fat kid on ground. :laugh:

cc

That's funny

Seems fat kid was a slow learner
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Seems fat kid was a slow learner

And a fast eater.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"I used to have a lazy horse. He did not like people riding him. A friend of mine had an overweight son who would come out to our place with his dad. Of course he always wanted to ride my horse. Everytime the fat kid mounted my horse, Mr Ed would walk under a branch of a tree and try and knock chubby off. It was like Old Faithful. Fat kid on horse, horse under tree branch and fat kid on ground. :laugh:

What a funny pet story Herman.

ac_toofunny

@realAzhyaAryola

Living in the outskirts of the city while I was growing up, my family had free range chickens, roosters, and chicks. We also had a few goats and a nice plump pig named Wow Legs. One day, Wow Legs was butchered and roasted for a very special occasion. I still can recall my younger brother wailing, "Waaaaaaa. Wow Legs! How could you do that to Wow Legs!? Waaaaa! I miss Wow Legs!" Sadly, I can't recall why we named her Wow Legs.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Living in the outskirts of the city while I was growing up, my family had free range chickens, roosters, and chicks. We also had a few goats and a nice plump pig named Wow Legs. One day, Wow Legs was butchered and roasted for a very special occasion. I still can recall my younger brother wailing, "Waaaaaaa. Wow Legs! How could you do that to Wow Legs!? Waaaaa! I miss Wow Legs!" Sadly, I can't recall why we named her Wow Legs.

That must have been very sad for your younger brother Azyha.

:sad:

Renee

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"Living in the outskirts of the city while I was growing up, my family had free range chickens, roosters, and chicks. We also had a few goats and a nice plump pig named Wow Legs. One day, Wow Legs was butchered and roasted for a very special occasion. I still can recall my younger brother wailing, "Waaaaaaa. Wow Legs! How could you do that to Wow Legs!? Waaaaa! I miss Wow Legs!" Sadly, I can't recall why we named her Wow Legs.

Did he eat any of it?  ac_biggrin
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

asal

A coworker bought 6 hen chicks so that she could have eggs.  They started to grow in their combs and announcing the start of dawn.  :)  She said, she realized the chicks had been sexed wrong and she actually had 6 roosters ... which became dinner once they realized.

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Renee"
Did he eat any of it?  ac_biggrin

No.  ac_biggrin That one pouted for years after that.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]