The best topic

Replies: 10402
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Hapas Have Higher Rates of Mental Health Problems

Started by Time Flies, November 23, 2012, 06:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Time Flies

The National Latino and Asian American Study conducted the largest nationally representative survey of Asian Americans.  Results from this study, funded by the National Institute of Mental Health, revealed that psychological disorders such as anxiety, depression or substance abuse were diagnosed in 34 percent of bi-racial individuals.  This finding creates cause for concern when compared to only 17 percent of mono-racial individuals.

Even after factors such as age, gender and life stress were controlled for differences among the study group, Asian Americans (Filipino, Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese) mixed with Caucasian were found to be twice as likely to suffer from psychological disorders than individuals born from parents of the same race.  

Mental health professionals are ill equipped to address this pressing issue. Kyaien D. O'Quinn is a licensed social worker.  She argues current theories and models are focused on the individual, which at first glance might seem completely logical.  Approaching clients as individuals helps to distinguish the uniqueness of each personality. O'Quinn has found, however, a crack in these methods "which do not account for the environmental and socio-cultural factors that affect a biracial individual's ability to develop a positive racial identity."

The development of racial identity is the most significant issue encountered by young bi-racial children.   In 2009, the California Child Care Health Program stated that for "young biracial or bicultural children it is a fluid or changing identity, depending on the child's development and environment." Of course, struggles and conflicts are inevitable for all children as they develop their identity, however, it is doubly difficult for children to process dual identities.  

http://blendedpeopleamerica.com/component/content/article/50-featured/116-biracial-mental-health-in-america.html">http://blendedpeopleamerica.com/compone ... erica.html">http://blendedpeopleamerica.com/component/content/article/50-featured/116-biracial-mental-health-in-america.html

Anonymous

Hello Time Flies and welcome to ACF.

I have a feeling we know each other.

I am a mother of two beautiful, happy, well adjusted hapa children..

This thread is very insulting.

Romero

That study is bunk. There's no reason why any biracial would be more likely to suffer from psychological disorders.

There are lots of Asian-Caucasians. Where are all these alleged mental health problems? We're not seeing it. They're all pretty normal just like any other people, go figure.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"That study is bunk. There's no reason why any biracial would be more likely to suffer from psychological disorders.

There are lots of Asian-Caucasians. Where are all these alleged mental health problems? We're not seeing it. They're all pretty normal just like any other people, go figure.

Hello Romero, you are right of course.

I think I know who this person is...he really hates AF/WM couples..

He looks for any excuse no matter how flimsy to make relationships like mine appear unhealthy.

People like him would like nothing better than to see my 13 year marriage fail and my children become unsuccessful adults.

That is so hateful.

Romero

Quote from: "Fashionista"I think I know who this person is...he really hates AF/WM couples..

He looks for any excuse no matter how flimsy to make relationships like mine appear unhealthy.

Yep, we can see 'em a mile away.

Relationship jealousy is one thing, but interracial relationship jealousy? What's the point? As if certain races are going to stay away from each other just because some nobody doesn't like it. People will be with whoever they want. Mixed couples don't care about race. They're simply together because they want to be together. None of that silly race stuff.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I think I know who this person is...he really hates AF/WM couples..

Yep, we can see 'em a mile away.

Relationship jealousy is one thing, but interracial relationship jealousy? What's the point? As if certain races are going to stay away from each other just because some nobody doesn't like it. People will be with whoever they want. Mixed couples don't care about race. They're simply together because they want to be together. None of that silly race stuff.

Not true Romero, it's a media conspiracy against Asian men..

I have succumbed to the brainwashing and hate myself...internal racist.

Marrying white was my way of expressing hatred toward myself.

Doesn't that make sense?

Romero

Complete sense! What a bizarre coincidence that you just so happen to have a wonderful relationship and children because of it. Oh the horror of it all!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Complete sense! What a bizarre coincidence that you just so happen to have a wonderful relationship and children because of it. Oh the horror of it all!

An insecure bigot's nightmare.

Big Wave Dave

Quote from: "Time Flies"The National Latino and Asian American Study conducted the largest nationally representative survey of Asian Americans.  Results from this study, funded by the National Institute of Mental Health, revealed that psychological disorders such as anxiety, depression or substance abuse were diagnosed in 34 percent of bi-racial individuals.  This finding creates cause for concern when compared to only 17 percent of mono-racial individuals.

Even after factors such as age, gender and life stress were controlled for differences among the study group, Asian Americans (Filipino, Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese) mixed with Caucasian were found to be twice as likely to suffer from psychological disorders than individuals born from parents of the same race.  

Mental health professionals are ill equipped to address this pressing issue. Kyaien D. O'Quinn is a licensed social worker.  She argues current theories and models are focused on the individual, which at first glance might seem completely logical.  Approaching clients as individuals helps to distinguish the uniqueness of each personality. O'Quinn has found, however, a crack in these methods "which do not account for the environmental and socio-cultural factors that affect a biracial individual's ability to develop a positive racial identity."

The development of racial identity is the most significant issue encountered by young bi-racial children.   In 2009, the California Child Care Health Program stated that for "young biracial or bicultural children it is a fluid or changing identity, depending on the child's development and environment." Of course, struggles and conflicts are inevitable for all children as they develop their identity, however, it is doubly difficult for children to process dual identities.  

http://blendedpeopleamerica.com/component/content/article/50-featured/116-biracial-mental-health-in-america.html">http://blendedpeopleamerica.com/compone ... erica.html">http://blendedpeopleamerica.com/component/content/article/50-featured/116-biracial-mental-health-in-america.html

horse manure

Anonymous

Quote from: "Big Wave Dave"
Quote from: "Time Flies"The National Latino and Asian American Study conducted the largest nationally representative survey of Asian Americans.  Results from this study, funded by the National Institute of Mental Health, revealed that psychological disorders such as anxiety, depression or substance abuse were diagnosed in 34 percent of bi-racial individuals.  This finding creates cause for concern when compared to only 17 percent of mono-racial individuals.

horse manure

Time Flies left about the same time instigator did..

They had the same insecurities about Asian women in mixed marriages.

Anonymous

They were either really, really pathetic or very clever trolls.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"They were either really, really pathetic or very clever trolls.

Instigator was pure comedy.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "seoulbro"They were either really, really pathetic or very clever trolls.

I never heard anyone use the word "mongrel" to describe people before.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

All part of his charm. :roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

All part of his charm. :roll:

I did not consider that charming.

:?