The best topic

Replies: 10550
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 05, 2024, 09:26:27 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

Money Sense

Started by Anonymous, August 20, 2015, 08:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 8 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

Not that actual high number or breaking 20,000 really matters, but as matter of interest Dow just went to 19,993+ today  

then, pulled back  single digits

shy maybe?

Edit - 1045 Pacific time - 19,995.40 ... . now falling back a bit

one hr to go today, falling to 19,975 @ 12.30 our time
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Not that actual high number or breaking 20,000 really matters, but as matter of interest Dow just went to 19,993+ today  

shy maybe?

Damn. Gotta go out for accountant appointment

It is inflated and will fall back.

cc

yes. greatly inflated I think

As to landmark number, seems everyone afraid to buy as it traditionally falls quite a bit after a landmark is crossed
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"yes. greatly inflated I think

As to landmark number, seems everyone afraid to buy as it traditionally falls quite a bit after a landmark is crossed

I did not buy any stocks today, that is for sure.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Not that actual high number or breaking 20,000 really matters, but as matter of interest Dow just went to 19,993+ today  

shy maybe?

one hr to go today, falling to 19,975 @ 12.30 our time

It was based on December job growth which slowed from the previous month, but wages posted their biggest annual gain in more than seven years.

Angry White Male

Tossed $5,500 into my TFSA...  Sold Barrick Gold (underperforming, shit dividends).

Topped up three of my other holdings with the proceeds:  Enbridge, Bank of Montreal, and Toronto Dominion bank.

Bell Canada has some nice dividends...  Maybe next year when I can top up TFSA again.

Anonymous

How Trump helped the Dow hit 20,000

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/25/how-trump-helped-the-dow-hit-20000.html">http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/25/how-trum ... 20000.html">http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/25/how-trump-helped-the-dow-hit-20000.html

High hopes for a business-friendly Donald Trump White House helped the Dow crack the 20K milestone, and market watchers think the president's policy can keep stocks humming even as concerns about prices rise.

The industrial average has now topped 20,000, rising 9 percent since its close on Election Day. Stronger U.S. economic data and optimism about Trump's business policy, among other factors, have pushed not only the Dow, but also the other major averages and small-cap stocks, higher in that time.

RW

seoul...do you have an opinion on bitcoin?  I read it's going to become a legal currency in Japan.  What would be the impact of that, if any?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Thiel

Quote from: "RW"seoul...do you have an opinion on bitcoin?  I read it's going to become a legal currency in Japan.  What would be the impact of that, if any?

That's surprising because Japan has always been a bit cool to cryptocurrencies. I would like to read more about what Japan has in mind. I was in Japan not that long ago.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Quote from: "Thiel"
Quote from: "RW"seoul...do you have an opinion on bitcoin?  I read it's going to become a legal currency in Japan.  What would be the impact of that, if any?

That's surprising because Japan has always been a bit cool to cryptocurrencies. I would like to read more about what Japan has in mind. I was in Japan not that long ago.

Thiel what do you do?

You seem to travel a lot.

Thiel

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Thiel"

Thiel what do you do?

You seem to travel a lot.

I am the sole proprietor of a company with international orders, both as a buyer and seller.
gay, conservative and proud

Wambo Rong

to bring my head into context what are you buying and selling to who theil?

Anonymous

I thought Japan made a legal distinction between virtual currency and currency in the new regulations?

Anonymous

Restaurant Brands International Inc. agreed to buy Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen Inc. for about US$1.8 billion, adding a fried-chicken chain to its lineup of burgers and doughnuts.

The cash offer of US$79 a share represents a 19 per cent premium to Popeyes' closing price on Friday. The deal is expected to close by early April, the companies said.

Spicy flavors, chicken and rice tend to travel well

The acquisition would be the first major deal for Restaurant Brands, which was formed in the 2014 merger of Burger King and Tim Hortons. The company's managers have long said they would consider taking over other brands, where they could boost profit by cutting costs and selling locations to franchisees. Restaurant Brands, backed by Brazilian private equity firm 3G Capital, also may look to expand the chain abroad.

"Restaurant Brands may be able to cut selling, general and administrative expenses in half in the next two years, and its private equity partners can boost international expansion as spicy flavors, chicken and rice tend to travel well," said Michael Halen, an analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence. "It fits right into the 3G playbook."

Restaurant Brands shares rose 5.4 per cent to US$56.80 at 9:33 a.m. in New York. The stock already was up 13 per cent this year through Friday. Popeyes surged 19 per cent to US$78.79.

Eight Years

Popeyes, which has more than 2,600 restaurants in the U.S. and 25 other countries, has performed well lately, with the stock gaining for eight years in a row. Chief Executive Officer Cheryl Bachelder has improved relationships with franchisees, sped up service times and played up the brand's New Orleans heritage with foods such as Magnolia Blossom Chicken. The chain will continue to be independently managed in the U.S., Restaurants Brands said.

he transaction is being paid for with cash on hand and a financing commitment from JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Wells Fargo & Co. The company was advised by Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison. Popeyes received financial advice from UBS AG and Genesis Capital and got legal counsel from King & Spalding.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/tim-hortons-owner-nears-deal-to-buy-popeyes-to-tap-growing-appetite-for-chicken-sources-say">http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... ources-say">http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/tim-hortons-owner-nears-deal-to-buy-popeyes-to-tap-growing-appetite-for-chicken-sources-say

Anonymous

Canada's first marijuana themed exchange traded fund gained in early trading on Wednesday morning. The Horizons Medical  Marijuana Life Sciences ETF is the first fund to provide diversified exposure to US and Canadian listed stocks that are involved with medical marijuana bioengineering and production

But,  David Berman wrote today in the Globe and Mail that that the buzz surrounding it may be limited.