The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Canada Freer Than Obongo's USA

Started by Anonymous, August 19, 2015, 04:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Lance Leftardashian

It's no wonde that so  many immigrants from Hong Kong are returning to Hong Kong.
I care, you pay

the shark hunter

Quote from: "Frank"Canada isn't that free. There's a lot of overstepping by public officials of their mandates.

I've seen this of parties on the Left and Right.

They don't announce exactly what they intend to do during election time, and then they do an about face and do exactly the opposite of what they said they were going to do.

Ie - Harper never announced that he was going to cut home postal delivery in the last election, but went ahead and did it anyway. The Liberlas have been guilty of this sort of thing too.

What we need in Canada is accountability legislation which allows a sufficient number of citizen signatures to challenge a sitting government if it introduces legislation it did not announce during an election and hold referndums to see if the laws introduced can be struck down - the only exception being that which was introduced during a time of war, crisis or a national emergency.

Switzerland is one of the few nations where everybody's votes count.

Anyone, rich or poor, no matter which ethnicity, can vote in or down a piece of legislation.

Switzerland has a true participatory democracy where ever vote in every village from every region makes a difference.

We ought to learn from the Swiss and adopt their form of democracy as well.

... i always enjoy reading your comments and opinions, Joe ...

... however, i think in the above post you are confusing freedom with politics.  personal liberties are something different from voting.  when i think of freedom i think of the ability to move around freely, physically and financially, without restrictions or barriers.  what politicians do has no bearing on that ...
http://www.callumhouston.com/index.html\">THE CALLUM HOUSTON WEB PAGE

Bricktop

No citizen of any country is truly free. By definition, being a citizen means being subordinate.

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "SPECTRE"Neither Hong Kong or Singapore are free SOCIETIES.

Certainly Singapore's economy is free...as long as you support Lee Kuan Yew's doctrine.

The survey was based on economic freedom wasn't it?

It's called the "Human Freedom Index".  I'm under the impression that isn't economic.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"

Certainly Singapore's economy is free...as long as you support Lee Kuan Yew's doctrine.

It's called the "Human Freedom Index".  I'm under the impression that isn't economic.

It's based on a whole host of socioeconomic factors. See the link even though it is all bull cookies.

">http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/f ... x-2015.pdf">
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

J0E

Quote from: "SPECTRE"No citizen of any country is truly free. By definition, being a citizen means being subordinate.

Well, some countries are freer than others.

Basic freedoms we take for granted simply don't exist elsewhere.

I believe in China you're always monitored over everything you write on the Internet.

And if you say something bad about the government, they can come to your door and arrest you.

Other communist countries you can't take pictures of government properties, military installations.

A friend of mine said he had to wait 3 years(and bribing government officials) to get a license to produce a magazine in Vietnam. Even then it could be censored if the guv there decided to.

Apparently, you can't just buy a printing press and start selling.

In Saudi Arabia, if you make eyes or get too close to one of their women, the religious police can come after you, have arrested, deported as well.

RW

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "RW"

It's based on a whole host of socioeconomic factors. See the link even though it is all bull cookies.

">http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/f ... x-2015.pdf">

The Fraser Institute likes to rank a whole lot of things based on weak and lazy research.
Beware of Gaslighters!