I have MS. Ask me anything.

Started by RW, August 28, 2015, 02:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

I bit the bullet.

Seriously, ask me anything.
Beware of Gaslighters!

asal

Does exercise help to keep MS from progressing?

I'm asking because my sister (has MS) is an avid exerciser.  Years ago she commented that she was concerned that exercise would strengthen her immune system to attack her.  I'm not able to talk about MS with her - it's too painful - so I'll ask you, here :)

RW

I'm sorry to hear about your sister.  HUGS!

"Too much" exercising or intense exercising can actually lower your immune system which is good for MS.  Moderate, every day exercise can increase immune system but the general rule is it doesn't.  Exercising is highly recommended by neurologists as it does keep you healthier and that is better for a body with MS.

I hope this helps.
Beware of Gaslighters!

asal

keeper

Whats a typical day like for you- I hope that's not to personal?

asal

Does MS cause poor eye sight?

^i want to ask my sister that, but can't.  She wears glasses / the rest of us don't need glasses.

Does MS make you want to become a stripper in New Orleans?

RW

Quote from: "asal"Does MS cause poor eye sight?

^i want to ask my sister that, but can't.  She wears glasses / the rest of us don't need glasses.

Yes it does.   It's called optic neuritis (inflammation of the optic nerve) and it's one of the earlier signs.  From talking to other folks with MS, it seems to be a common issue.  People who have it and have relapsing/remitting MS can lose their eye sight in one or both eyes for periods of time.  Others will see a gradual degeneration of the vision.

MS doesn't make me want to be a stripper in New Orleans.  My sense of adventure and outgoing personality does though haha.

Can I ask why you can't talk to your sister about this asal?  What about it is too painful?
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Keeper"Whats a typical day like for you- I hope that's not to personal?

Depends on the day.  That's the thing with MS, you don't know what you are going to wake up to.  I'm in the middle of a relapse at the moment, so I wake up in pain, take a handful of pills (literally) and pass back out shortly after.  I wake back up in pain.  I usually have a bath or shower because the heat helps a bit, then I lay in bed watching shows and movies I've seen 5 times.  I wait for it to get late enough to smoke some weed which offers a bit of relief then I take more pills and go back to bed.

I do other stuff in between but that's the MS portion of things.
Beware of Gaslighters!

asal

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "asal"Does MS cause poor eye sight?

Yes it does.   It's called optic neuritis (inflammation of the optic nerve) and it's one of the earlier signs.  From talking to other folks with MS, it seems to be a common issue.  People who have it and have relapsing/remitting MS can lose their eye sight in one or both eyes for periods of time.  Others will see a gradual degeneration of the vision.

MS doesn't make me want to be a stripper in New Orleans.  My sense of adventure and outgoing personality does though haha.

Can I ask why you can't talk to your sister about this asal?  What about it is too painful?

I can't talk about it because - it would upset both of us.

I don't want to upset her.

It's sad.

I wait for her to bring it up first.

RW

She probably doesn't want to upset you either.

I'll happily answer anything you want to ask hon.  It doesn't bother me to talk about it.
Beware of Gaslighters!

asal

My sister has an unusual ear condition also - she said it's rare - it causes her to get sick when she flies so she avoids flying.

Have you heard of this?  I can find the name if you like.

Is it associated with MS?

RW

Quote from: "asal"My sister has an unusual ear condition also - she said it's rare - it causes her to get sick when she flies so she avoids flying.

Have you heard of this?  I can find the name if you like.

Is it associated with MS?

I know vertigo is associated with MS but I haven't heard of a specific ear problem.  It could be.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Frood

Quote from: "RW"I bit the bullet.

Do you or have you regularly taken Prednisone (in any forms) for flare ups or over long term and have you developed the characteristic humpback because of it?
Blahhhhhh...

RW

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "RW"I bit the bullet.

Do you or have you regularly taken Prednisone (in any forms) for flare ups or over long term and have you developed the characteristic humpback because of it?

I don't take prednisone regularly.  I have taken it twice.  Once just before I was officially diagnosed in pill form and once in the form of a 3 day infusion during a relapse.  

I don't look like Quasimodo...yet.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Renee"(Edit)

Well that's no fun Renee :P
Beware of Gaslighters!