The best topic

Replies: 10566
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 06, 2024, 10:32:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

The Ten Most Overrated Rock Performers Of All Time

Started by Bricktop, September 09, 2015, 01:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

Renee's point was that in your all your smug music loving glory - YOU WERE WRONG.  ac_razz

I am sure there are gads of people who don't know or understand the importance of Eric Clapton.  So what?  

Since Cream, the guy won 18 Grammy's FFS, his most recent being for a Blues album in 2007.  Some of his most identifiable work came out of the 1990s, which you still fail to acknowledge.  I WAS there for that BTW.

Once you change the face of Rock music forever you don't have to keep doing it.  DERP.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "RW"Yes, Clapton is more of a legend than any you listed above in his own right.

What you should be considering is Clapton's influence on music.  That's what really counts isn't it?  What music looked like before vs after an artist came into the scene.  Before Clapton, rock and roll had things like saxophones or pianos in solo breaks.  Clapton came alone with his guitar and pushed all instruments out of top rock spot.  It was Clapton that made the electric guitar THE sound of rock music.  He would get sounds from a guitar that no one had even heard before.

Chuck Berry, Bill Haley and Elvis Presley might have something to say about that.

As would George Harrison, Keith Richards and Duane Eddy (who? I hear you ask).

The Beatles played with three guitarists, none of them Eric Clapton.

Sorry. Clapton is OVERRATED.

Really, you sure about that?

Although he received no credit on the White Album, everyone knows that it was Clapton who played the guitar solo on "While my Guitar Gently Weeps". This has been known since the album was first released in 1968; I'm not sure why you don't.

When he was alive, George Harrison stated that fact on numerous occasions.

And Billy Preston played piano on a number of tracks.

What is your point?

What's my point? My point is that you don't know everything. Your claim that Clapton never played with the Beatles, to me, was mind boggling. For someone who claims to have been "THERE" I find it hard to believe you would have committed such a gross oversight.

In other words, your criteria for the measure of who is or isn't a great guitarist is blatantly wrong and was obviously just pulled right out of your uniformed ass.

But music like any other art form is subjective and you are entitled to your opinion, just make sure you base that opinion on something that makes sense.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Bricktop

I was referring to the STANDARD Beatles line-up. The regular, permanent members of the band. They were changing the face of music long before Clapton was declared God-like. Playing on one song does not mean Clapton was a Beatle. Harrison invited Clapton to play the solo because they were friends. To suggest that he somehow influenced the Beatles because of one solo is fatuous.

RW

Quote from: "SPECTRE"I was referring to the STANDARD Beatles line-up. The regular, permanent members of the band. They were changing the face of music long before Clapton was declared God-like. Playing on one song does not mean Clapton was a Beatle. Harrison invited Clapton to play the solo because they were friends. To suggest that he somehow influenced the Beatles because of one solo is fatuous.

Oh bollocks you were.  You said only three people ever played with the Beatles and Clapton wasn't one of them.  Don't sit there flapping on the deck trying to wiggle your way out of your error now.

No one claimed Clapton was a Beatle or even influenced them.  Renee simply corrected your mistake.  I suggest you pull some manners out of that ass of yours and thank her for educating you with musical fact.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "SPECTRE"I was referring to the STANDARD Beatles line-up. The regular, permanent members of the band. They were changing the face of music long before Clapton was declared God-like. Playing on one song does not mean Clapton was a Beatle. Harrison invited Clapton to play the solo because they were friends. To suggest that he somehow influenced the Beatles because of one solo is fatuous.

Squirming and scrambling to cover your ass is unbecoming and sleazy.

Just sayin.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Bricktop

You are merely homing in on a misinterpretation of my statement. The Beatles were changing the world with THREE guitarists, none of them Clapton. This, in response to your claim that Clapton made the guitar a front line instrument. If you need to maintain that quote out of context to support your dwindling argument, well, knock yourself out.

If you genuinely believe I was unaware Clapton played in WMGGW, then it merely shows how desperate you are becoming in propping up this overrated strummer.

Bricktop

Just sayin.

Erm. I'm supposed to be nice to you.

RW

Quote from: "SPECTRE"You are merely homing in on a misinterpretation of my statement. The Beatles were changing the world with THREE guitarists, none of them Clapton. This, in response to your claim that Clapton made the guitar a front line instrument. If you need to maintain that quote out of context to support your dwindling argument, well, knock yourself out.

If you genuinely believe I was unaware Clapton played in WMGGW, then it merely shows how desperate you are becoming in propping up this overrated strummer.

Oh bullshit Spec.  You didn't know.  Your argument is crumbling like an over baked biscuit.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Believe it as you will.

But you know that my knowledge of music is better than that...

RW

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Believe it as you will.

When it comes to Clapton, you seem to know sweet fuck all so I'm going on that basis.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Just sayin.

And your point is? I'm not stopping you from being mean to me. All I'm saying is own your mistakes when you are called out on them. If that makes you want to say something nasty to me then I feel sorry for you.

Bricktop

I didn't say anything nasty!!!

I have been NICE!!!

All I'm saying is that you are quoting me out of context. If you wish to maintain the delusion that I was unaware Clapton played on the White Album, go for it.

I would have thought you would know better. But, whatever you think helps your argument.

Bricktop

Quote from: "RW"

When it comes to Clapton, you seem to know sweet fuck all so I'm going on that basis.

Right.

And where were you in 1965?

1975?

1985?

RW

Just sayin.

And your point is? I'm not stopping you from being mean to me. All I'm saying is own your mistakes when you are called out on them.

That will happen when pigs fly!  Haha
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "RW"

Right.

And where were you in 1965?

1975?

1985?

I wasn't alive in 65 or 75 but I was in 85.

Where were you when Clapton rolled out Unplugged in 92?
Beware of Gaslighters!