The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Court of Public Opinion

Started by RW, September 13, 2015, 04:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

Recently I came across a post on Facebook warning everyone about a guy who likes to touch little girls.  There was a picture of the guy and I happened to recognize him as the boyfriend of a woman I know.  So I let her know what I saw and asked her about it.  It's his ex posting the info and no charges had been laid against him, which I already figured because the police tell you not to post about such incidences on Facebook as it can affect the outcome of an investigation or court case.

As a result of this post, he's been threatened repeatedly and many people think he's a piece of shit.  He's contacted the police to get the ball rolling on harassment and defamation.

I don't know for sure what's gone on in this case, but I think there should be jail time penalties no less than two years for falsely accusing someone of something that has a significant impact on that person's life.  In this case, using social media to attempt to destroy someone's reputation.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

I agree, people convicted of falsely accusing others thru social media or whatever means should be prosecuted and either receive significant jail time and or a major fine that would be paid as retribution to the victim.

People need to be made seriously aware that they cannot act as judge and jury based on opinion and hearsay.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Quote from: "Renee"I agree, people convicted of falsely accusing others thru social media or whatever means should be prosecuted and either receive significant jail time and or a major fine that would be paid as retribution to the victim.

People need to be made seriously aware that they cannot act as judge and jury based on opinion and hearsay.

It can ruin someone's life.  That deserves major punishment if done with malice.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"I agree, people convicted of falsely accusing others thru social media or whatever means should be prosecuted and either receive significant jail time and or a major fine that would be paid as retribution to the victim.

What a vicious bitch. I hope she gets what's coming to her.

Bricktop

I just saw "Unfriend"!!!

Topical, and very, very clever.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Recently I came across a post on Facebook warning everyone about a guy who likes to touch little girls.  There was a picture of the guy and I happened to recognize him as the boyfriend of a woman I know.  So I let her know what I saw and asked her about it.  It's his ex posting the info and no charges had been laid against him, which I already figured because the police tell you not to post about such incidences on Facebook as it can affect the outcome of an investigation or court case.

As a result of this post, he's been threatened repeatedly and many people think he's a piece of shit.  He's contacted the police to get the ball rolling on harassment and defamation.

I don't know for sure what's gone on in this case, but I think there should be jail time penalties no less than two years for falsely accusing someone of something that has a significant impact on that person's life.  In this case, using social media to attempt to destroy someone's reputation.

What she is doing is so cruel.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Uuuhggg. Is this level of defamation criminal where he is?

RW

He's Canadian and yes, it is under the Criminal Code section on Defamatory Libel.  It does prescribe jail terms not exceeding 5 years but here in Canada, we tend to hand out wrist slaps.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Recently I came across a post on Facebook warning everyone about a guy who likes to touch little girls.  There was a picture of the guy and I happened to recognize him as the boyfriend of a woman I know.  So I let her know what I saw and asked her about it.  It's his ex posting the info and no charges had been laid against him, which I already figured because the police tell you not to post about such incidences on Facebook as it can affect the outcome of an investigation or court case.

She should do time.

keeper

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"Many years in prison i say!!

YEP!!

Renee

Okay let's put this in perspective. I have to assume we are talking about a situation in Canada and what is the penalty for 1st degree murder up there....60hrs community service? :laugh:

So what would this situation call for.....a time out....a grounding.....oh I know, no TV for a week?  :laugh3:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Okay let's put this in perspective. I have to assume we are talking about a situation in Canada and what is the penalty for 1st degree murder up there....60hrs community service? :laugh:

So what would this situation call for.....a time out....a grounding.....oh I know, no TV for a week?  :laugh3:

Life in prison with no chance of parole for a minimum of 25 years. The current government has called for life to mean life, but the sentencing for first degree murder has not changed yet.

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Renee"Okay let's put this in perspective. I have to assume we are talking about a situation in Canada and what is the penalty for 1st degree murder up there....60hrs community service? :laugh:

Life in prison with no chance of parole for a minimum of 25 years. The current government has called for life to mean life, but the sentencing for first degree murder has not changed yet.

Just funnin with you guys, Shen.

But really it doesn't matter what we think "should" happen to this little trouble maker, it's more a matter of what "will" happen, if anything.