Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

A

This Canadian Industry Has 54,000 Unfilled Jobs

Started by Anonymous, September 18, 2015, 02:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

For those looking for a career that WILL lead to employment.
QuoteThe Canadian IT industry is short 54,000 jobs, IDC Canada reports.

IDC defines the skills gap as what is needed to "get the right resource at the right time and at the right price."

In 2014, the IT skills gap amounted to 54,000 people and cost Canadian organizations close to $1 billion, according to the report.

Mark Schrutt, IDC Canada's Research Vice President, Services and Enterprise Applications, told the CBC that he was surprised when a majority of businesses told IDC that they did not consider an IT skills gap a major issue.

"I didn't take that at face value. I wanted to dig deeper," Schrutt said. "Basically, from what companies are saying, it's not an issue because they've found workarounds."

With a high demand and a low supply of workers, human resources firm Mercer predicts  that high tech will take the wage-growth crown from Canada's oil industry in 2016, with salary growth of 3 per cent.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/careersandeducation/this-canadian-industry-has-54000-unfilled-jobs/ar-AAepixf?li=AA54rW&ocid=mailsignoutmd">http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/careersa ... lsignoutmd">http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/careersandeducation/this-canadian-industry-has-54000-unfilled-jobs/ar-AAepixf?li=AA54rW&ocid=mailsignoutmd

RW

It's a highly specialized field.  I'm not surprised.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"It's a highly specialized field.  I'm not surprised.

Sorry kids, but don't waste taxpayer dollars on useless liberal farts degrees.

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "RW"It's a highly specialized field.  I'm not surprised.

Sorry kids, but don't waste taxpayer dollars on useless liberal farts degrees.

Hush you!

Haha

I think we need a complete revamping of the education system to be more job applicable.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

^Like I said before, a good start would be apprenticeships. They are designed for the 1970's.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"We have them but need them in more industries.

Industry and colleges still think the average apprentice is a first year male fresh out of high school, born in Canada and living with his parents. That just isn't the case anymore.

Bricktop

J0E

One problem is that the Harper government (like the Liberal government before them) either cut back of failed to increase funding for research and development. In addition, they favored the oil and gas sector at the expense of value added manufacturing and industries which support these kind of highly skilled technical jobs. Yes, Canada needs these kind of workers, but without the infrastructure to support them, these jobs aren't going to appear overnight.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Frank"One problem is that the Harper government (like the Liberal government before them) either cut back of failed to increase funding for research and development. In addition, they favored the oil and gas sector at the expense of value added manufacturing and industries which support these kind of highly skilled technical jobs. Yes, Canada needs these kind of workers, but without the infrastructure to support them, these jobs aren't going to appear overnight.

I was just watching morning CBC news and apparently that is not true at all Frank..

Oil and gas as a percentage of GDP is now 9.4% compared to 9.9% when they first came in in 2006 and 11.98% in 1997..

I was surprised myself to learn of this.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Just what IS the "IT industry"???

Hmm, I don't know what specific jobs they mean SPECTRE?

RW

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Just what IS the "IT industry"???

Program development, anything web based, gaming, telco, hardware/software sales and support, networking, etc.  Just about every workplace these days has an IT component.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Frank"One problem is that the Harper government (like the Liberal government before them) either cut back of failed to increase funding for research and development. In addition, they favored the oil and gas sector at the expense of value added manufacturing and industries which support these kind of highly skilled technical jobs. Yes, Canada needs these kind of workers, but without the infrastructure to support them, these jobs aren't going to appear overnight.

I was just watching morning CBC news and apparently that is not true at all Frank..

Oil and gas as a percentage of GDP is now 9.4% compared to 9.9% when they first came in in 2006 and 11.98% in 1997..

I was surprised myself to learn of this.

Don`t waste your time on him. He's not interested in facts and he's always looking for an opening to change every thread around to a political one.