Replies: 10340
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:33:17 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Is It Rude To Say Someone Is LAZY?

Started by the shark hunter, September 25, 2015, 06:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0E

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... my friend was surprised by the reaction his daughter-in-law had to a comment he made ...

... my friend was talking to her about her son -- his grandson -- and he mentioned to her that he thought his grandson was LAZY. my friend was then shocked that his daughter-in-law took offense to the comment and became cold towards him ...

... but should he have been shocked by her reaction? if someone is lazy shouldn't you be ALLOWED to say that they're lazy?

... what do you think? what's the etiquette when it comes to talking about laziness? is it forbidden?

... please discuss!

Maybe your friend was just speaking the truth, Sharkie. While there are some hardworking youths, overall this does seem like a very lazy generation of kids. Not just the son you make reference to, but many. And too many distractions, technology which makes them even lazier these days. Can't think of anything lazier than than whole groups of kids hangin out places like video arcades or Internet cafes wasting their time playing video games. That reminds me of hamsters in a cage, pushing down on a lever to get the next pellet coming out of a feeder.

Frood

Quote from: "Frank"
Quote from: "the shark hunter"... my friend was surprised by the reaction his daughter-in-law had to a comment he made ...

... my friend was talking to her about her son -- his grandson -- and he mentioned to her that he thought his grandson was LAZY. my friend was then shocked that his daughter-in-law took offense to the comment and became cold towards him ...

... but should he have been shocked by her reaction? if someone is lazy shouldn't you be ALLOWED to say that they're lazy?

... what do you think? what's the etiquette when it comes to talking about laziness? is it forbidden?

... please discuss!

Maybe your friend was just speaking the truth, Sharkie. While there are some hardworking youths, overall this does seem like a very lazy generation of kids. Not just the son you make reference to, but many. And too many distractions, technology which makes them even lazier these days. Can't think of anything lazier than than whole groups of kids hangin out places like video arcades or Internet cafes wasting their time playing video games. That reminds me of hamsters in a cage, pushing down on a lever to get the next pellet coming out of a feeder.

That's the distinction which needs to be made when pointing out laziness in an individual who isn't immediate family. "It's generational". I find this works to open up discussion, especially if you also have children around the same age. Parents take it personal because they often validate themselves through their children or families, right or wrong.
Blahhhhhh...

keeper

Quote from: "RW"It's rude.

:laugh: OK Miss Blunt.

If hes lazy call it like it is. Right RIGHT!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Frank"

... please discuss!

You have a good point Frank..

Overall I feel children play less, and are more sedentary..

I gave children chores they must do around the house like my brother and I had to do..

But, some of my girlfriends are not doing that with their own children.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"People in general should STFU about how others raise their children - lazy or not.

I'm with you on this one RW. People need to mind their own fucking business when it comes to other people's kids. End of story.

Annie

It's rude to go up to a parent and say blah blah blah you're doing this wrong or your kid is this or that. I think parents already know their kid is lazy or not and they'll figure out what to do about it without nosy busy bodies.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

I don't think calling a lazy person lazy is rude. I think enabling is rude. Lol. Of course there are limits on this....you don't just walk up to someone and throw down accusations when you don't have the big picture.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"I don't think calling a lazy person lazy is rude. I think enabling is rude. Lol. Of course there are limits on this....you don't just walk up to someone and throw down accusations when you don't have the big picture.

Even if you do know, it's best to mind your own fucking business.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Dove"I don't think calling a lazy person lazy is rude. I think enabling is rude. Lol. Of course there are limits on this....you don't just walk up to someone and throw down accusations when you don't have the big picture.

Even if you do know, it's best to mind your own fucking business.
 Well if my opinion is requested or its directly impacting my life, I'll make it my business.

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "GrAnnie"It's rude to go up to a parent and say blah blah blah you're doing this wrong or your kid is this or that. I think parents already know their kid is lazy or not and they'll figure out what to do about it without nosy busy bodies.

While I agree that it is not our place to tell other parents what we think of their children especially if it is not flattering, some parents are blind to the follies of their own brood. There are parents who are raising "exceptional" kids, according to their own thinking even though they are the only ones who may think so.

:001_rolleyes:
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Annie

I know what you mean. Years ago I caught some kids trying to start a forest fire not far from where I live. I knew all the kids involved and went to their houses and talked with their parents.  There was one parent, she is a single Mom with 3 kids, acted like her kids would never do such a thing. I told her several other people saw her pour lighter fluid on the fire. She still insisted I was lying. I then told her "well, ok then, next time I'll just call the fire department and the police and you can call them liars!" They put the fire out when they were seen so there was no need to make any calls but the Mom was pissed! lol

And I know my kids have done stupid shit, they all do. I've had parents come to my door to tell me my kid did this or that. And I believed them because I know my kids WOULD do it lol. I'm so happy they're adults now.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "GrAnnie"I know what you mean. Years ago I caught some kids trying to start a forest fire not far from where I live. I knew all the kids involved and went to their houses and talked with their parents.  There was one parent, she is a single Mom with 3 kids, acted like her kids would never do such a thing. I told her several other people saw her pour lighter fluid on the fire. She still insisted I was lying. I then told her "well, ok then, next time I'll just call the fire department and the police and you can call them liars!" They put the fire out when they were seen so there was no need to make any calls but the Mom was pissed! lol

And I know my kids have done stupid shit, they all do. I've had parents come to my door to tell me my kid did this or that. And I believed them because I know my kids WOULD do it lol. I'm so happy they're adults now.

Arson is very serious..

The consequences could have been very bad had the fir got out of hand..

You did the right thing notifying the parents even if they didn't believe you.

Annie

Since then a few of the little fire bugs have moved away and the single Mom's kid hasn't done anything else, except for hiding behind a neighbor's house and smoking lol

shin

Sure, it can be interpreted as rude, but just as calling someone stupid, primitive, or ugly, might generate similar reactions, it might be more worrisome if it were received with apathy.

The greater context would come into play here, but even if the intent isn't malicious, any such forward accusation in our Western culture could be considered rude.

Psychologists would probably argue that any unfavorable character trait is a symptom of a mood disorder, but I'm sure not everybody is willing to use this as a litmus test for proper development.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"Sure, it can be interpreted as rude, but just as calling someone stupid, primitive, or ugly, might generate similar reactions, it might be more worrisome if it were received with apathy.

The greater context would come into play here, but even if the intent isn't malicious, any such forward accusation in our Western culture could be considered rude.

Psychologists would probably argue that any unfavorable character trait is a symptom of a mood disorder, but I'm sure not everybody is willing to use this as a litmus test for proper development.

I don't need to consult a psychologist to know where my son's problems started. My ex and I spoiled him rotten. He's 24 and acts 15.