The best topic

Replies: 7027
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 03:27:31 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

Canadian Rock Musicians and their songs

Started by J0E, November 10, 2015, 09:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

J0E

This thread is devoted to Canadian Rock Musicians and their songs over the past 50 years.

Here's one I've rather enjoyed

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sya-ZqKxebQ

Tegan & Sara - I'm Not Your Hero

Ace

Dude, Canadian shit sucks!  It's not that we're any less talented, but simply the US lifestyle and paycheque just cannot be resisted!

So, we move to NY or LA!

Lots of Canadians infiltrating their shit!  OK though...  We look the same, and talk/sing almost the same also, so nobody knows...

Twenty Dollars

December 4, 2000. Scott Smith of Lover Boy is washed overboard. He or his body was not recovered. I sold this boat to Scott in May of the same year, in San Rafael Ca. It was a Westsail 32. He and his crew were sailing back from the Farallones Islands, about 30 miles west of San Francisco. A terrible time of year to be doing this. The boat is a heavy crushing boat, and was capable.  Apparently Scott was not teathered to something solid and was washed overboard. I have searched for this boat off and on for the last 15 years. True story.

Renee

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"December 4, 2000. Scott Smith of Lover Boy is washed overboard. He or his body was not recovered. I sold this boat to Scott in May of the same year, in San Rafael Ca. It was a Westsail 32. He and his crew were sailing back from the Farallones Islands, about 30 miles west of San Francisco. A terrible time of year to be doing this. The boat is a heavy crushing boat, and was capable.  Apparently Scott was not teathered to something solid and was washed overboard. I have searched for this boat off and on for the last 15 years. True story.

Wow, that's very interesting but I thought this thread was about Canadian musicians?

Mentioning the "band" (cringe) "Lover Boy" with anything having to do with music is kinda off topic don'tcha think???? ac_toofunny
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"December 4, 2000. Scott Smith of Lover Boy is washed overboard. He or his body was not recovered. I sold this boat to Scott in May of the same year, in San Rafael Ca. It was a Westsail 32. He and his crew were sailing back from the Farallones Islands, about 30 miles west of San Francisco. A terrible time of year to be doing this. The boat is a heavy crushing boat, and was capable.  Apparently Scott was not teathered to something solid and was washed overboard. I have searched for this boat off and on for the last 15 years. True story.

Wow, that's very interesting but I thought this thread was about Canadian musicians?

Mentioning the "band" (cringe) "Lover Boy" with anything having to do with music is kinda off topic don'tcha think???? ac_toofunny

Wasnt he a Canadian rock musician? Are you saying this band is or was lame? Maybe I'm not getting your sarcasm. I heard of them before. When the boat broker called me for a demo sail, he never mentioned who this person was. Anyway he bought my boat. Not long after he killed himself on her.

Renee

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"

Wasnt he a Canadian rock musician? Are you saying this band is or was lame? Maybe I'm not getting your sarcasm. I heard of them before. When the boat broker called me for a demo sail, he never mentioned who this person was. Anyway he bought my boat. Not long after he killed himself on her.

You got the Canadian part right and the "lame" part especially correct.

Although 'lame" may be an understatement. Loverboy, like so many so-called rock bands from the late 70s and 80s were the epitome of "corporate rock" garbage.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Bricktop

Canada's Finest!!!

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M12stsNf1gI

Renee

Ah shit, I thought it was going to be a Brian Adams video.

J0E

Quote from: "Ace"Dude, Canadian shit sucks!  It's not that we're any less talented, but simply the US lifestyle and paycheque just cannot be resisted!

So, we move to NY or LA!

Lots of Canadians infiltrating their shit!  OK though...  We look the same, and talk/sing almost the same also, so nobody knows...

Well Ace, not all folks, incl. our Yank friends livin' south of the 49th would agree with your assessment, Bud.

Here's one of America's biggest stars wowing the crowd in LA with what she considers one of Canada's Best:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ip8GWAfzfM

...that's fairly impressive that these sisters could receive accolades from someone like Taylor Swift in what most consider the media capital of the USA & the world. In other words, their own backyard.

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"

You got the Canadian part right and the "lame" part especially correct.

Although 'lame" may be an understatement. Loverboy, like so many so-called rock bands from the late 70s and 80s were the epitome of "corporate rock" garbage.

You don't know me Rene. You are right, I don't know shit about Canadian rock bands. He did buy my boat, and paid me in cash. I could tell he fell in love with that boat. It was what he was looking for. It's really ashamed he lost his life aboard. I first found out from a friend who knew I owned and sold that boat to Scott. I moved out of the U.S. soon after I sold her.

Anonymous

Anyone like Hedley. They have some good tunes.

J0E

Here's an old Gordon Lightfoot tune sung by an Irish band, the Johnstons:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvBlkUDs3Fo

Upon the bitter green she walked the hills above the town

Echoed to her footsteps as soft as eiderdown

Waiting for her master to kiss away her tears

Waiting through the years

Bitter green they called her walking in the sun

Loving everyone that she met

Bitter green they called her waiting in the sun

Waiting for someone to take her home

Some say he was a sailor who died away at sea

Some say he was a prisoner who never was set free

Lost upon the ocean he died there in the mist

Dreaming of a kiss

But now the bitter green is gone the hills have turned to rust

There comes a weary stranger whose tears fall in the dust

Kneeling by the churchyard in the autumn mist

Dreaming of a kiss

Waiting for someone

To take her home

chuck wagon

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppzBdD66B_w

Martha and the Muffins are a Canadian new wave band, active from 1977 to the present. Although they only had one major international hit single (1980's "Echo Beach") under their original band name, they had a number of hits in their native Canada, and the core members of the band also charted in Canada and internationally as M + M.

Anonymous

Quote from: "chuck wagon"
">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppzBdD66B_w

Martha and the Muffins are a Canadian new wave band, active from 1977 to the present. Although they only had one major international hit single (1980's "Echo Beach") under their original band name, they had a number of hits in their native Canada, and the core members of the band also charted in Canada and internationally as M + M.
I only knew Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins chuck wagon.

Print
User actions