News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10402
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Have You Seen All The STAR WARS Merchandise Out There?

Started by the shark hunter, December 12, 2015, 01:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "the shark hunter"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "the shark hunter"... i have to admit that being a reformed collector part of my unease is that if i was a collector of STAR WARS merch i'd be frustrated about how much stuff i'd have to buy to keep up ...

... it was all the electronic stuff i saw at staples that really amazed me ...

Have you kept any of your childhood toys the shark hunter?

... none of the toys, Fashionista, but i do have quite a collection of horror and sci-fi movie magazines that i loved as a boy ...

A friend of my husband is 41 and still has original Star Wars action figures from his very early childhood.

... not surprising really.  why NOT keep the things you loved as a child?

My Mommy kept my last school uniform I wore before we immigrated to Canada.

the shark hunter

... i have to admit, i skipped the second STAR WARS trilogy completely.  saw the first one and found it lacklustre so i didn't buy in.  however, if this new one is as good as the previews suggest it is it might be pretty darn good!
http://www.callumhouston.com/index.html\">THE CALLUM HOUSTON WEB PAGE

Anonymous

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... i have to admit, i skipped the second STAR WARS trilogy completely.  saw the first one and found it lacklustre so i didn't buy in.  however, if this new one is as good as the previews suggest it is it might be pretty darn good!

This Friday we are going to the new Alvin and the chipmunks move.

ac_biggrin

the shark hunter

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... i have to admit, i skipped the second STAR WARS trilogy completely.  saw the first one and found it lacklustre so i didn't buy in.  however, if this new one is as good as the previews suggest it is it might be pretty darn good!

ac_biggrin

... how tremendously sweet, Fashionista!  have you seen the new CHARLIE BROWN film?

Bricktop

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... i have to admit that being a reformed collector part of my unease is that if i was a collector of STAR WARS merch i'd be frustrated about how much stuff i'd have to buy to keep up ...

... it was all the electronic stuff i saw at staples that really amazed me ...

Have you kept any of your childhood toys the shark hunter?

... none of the toys, Fashionista, but i do have quite a collection of horror and sci-fi movie magazines that i loved as a boy ...

A friend of my husband is 41 and still has original Star Wars action figures from his very early childhood.

That's nothing.

I have an ewok as a family cousin.

Anonymous

ac_biggrin

... how tremendously sweet, Fashionista!  have you seen the new CHARLIE BROWN film?

No, we haven't.

Bricktop

Would previews suggest anything otherwise. The hype and build up is carefully orchestrated and managed by the production studios. The teasers and even the "previews" are carefully manipulated to create a massive expectation.

But on close examination, the myth and hype of Star Wars is based on one fundamental issue; when it was first released in 1978 or so, it was visually so far ahead of anything that came previously, that people flocked to see the special effects so compelling, it was hard NOT to see the creatures, machines, weapons and characters as real.

But the rest of the world, not the least because they were inspired by George Lucas' brilliance, caught up, and in fact overtook the Star Wars effects model. Thus, when the second trilogy came out, without the benefit of unequalled visual effects, people walked away in droves.

The flaw in Star Wars is that the story thread is rather insipid, and certainly far from original. The characters and story had been taken from any number of westerns that came before it...remember the saloon sequence?

This next trilogy will also lack the massive gap in visual mesmerisation that the first set benefited from. It will need to rely more on story, and even moreso on acting. In that respect, given the cast, it doesn't seem to feature anyone who can carry a movie on their own; in fact it regenerates the three from the original sequence. Two of them had the acting abillity of cardboard cutouts, as their resume post Star Wars will demonstrate.

So, the next set will be all about the story...perhaps the weakest element of the entire franchise. I wish it luck, but I fear that the "new toy" shine will wear off rather more rapidly than you might think.

the shark hunter

... i hear disney has EVERYTHING riding on this new STAR WARS movie in terms of its bottom line ...

... some of you might remember that disney's last foray into big budget sci-fi was THE BLACK HOLE which came out during the first STAR WARS boom of the late '70s ...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_l2A9uFSHYlk/SWD88xuRqDI/AAAAAAAAAqo/QU8SOD3SvB8/s400/black_hole_ver4.jpg">

... for those who weren't there, THE BLACK HOLE was a huge flop and seen as a big misfire for them ...

... hopefully for disney they won't repeat their BLACK HOLE disaster!  :laugh:

Bricktop

Disney has become the archetype profit based studio. Their raison d'etre is about profit, not art. Thus, like many of their movies and franchises that are driven by the bottom line, Star Wars runs the risk of being overdone and worn out. The Black Hole was one of many stinkers Disney, and its subsidiary Buena Vista released. Even when it struck gold with movies like "Pirates of the Caribbean", it had to continue making sequels to make a buck, with each sequel being more and more dull and worn.

It should stick to what its good at; animations. But even then, they had to buy Pixar to build up their portfolio that had not seen much action since "The Lion King".

J0E

I don't bother to look, Sharkie.

I just remember the first movie when it came out back in the 70s.

Surprisingly, the initial response was underwhelming from the 'critics'.

They saw little value in it and some even derided it.

Boy, were they ever off the mark.

Star Wars is practically a major part of American, if not World mythology now.

Californication has triumphed!

Anyways, in all probablity, the only stuff worth buying/collecting are the original items from the 70s made in the USA when Harrison Ford was actually young. otherwise, all you're getting these days is that cheaply made mass produced junk made by the cargo ship now.

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... STAR WARS overload!

... i have to say i'm almost appalled at all the STAR WARS merchandise and tie-ins being sold. it seems as though every store is selling STAR WARS stuff. i've never seen anything like it before...

... have you noticed this? what's your reaction to it? have you bought anything? are the youth really that into STAR WARS or is it more for the older fans?

... comments?

Anonymous

Quote from: "J0E"I don't bother to look, Sharkie.

I just remember the first movie when it came out back in the 70s.

Surprisingly, the initial response was underwhelming from the 'critics'.

They saw little value in it and some even derided it.

Boy, were they ever off the mark.

Star Wars is practically a major part of American, if not World mythology now.

Californication has triumphed!

Anyways, in all probablity, the only stuff worth buying/collecting are the original items from the 70s made in the USA when Harrison Ford was actually young. otherwise, all you're getting now is that cheaply made mass produced junk made by the cargo ship now.

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... STAR WARS overload!

... i have to say i'm almost appalled at all the STAR WARS merchandise and tie-ins being sold. it seems as though every store is selling STAR WARS stuff. i've never seen anything like it before...

... have you noticed this? what's your reaction to it? have you bought anything? are the youth really that into STAR WARS or is it more for the older fans?

... comments?

How many Star Wars movies were made?

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"7 counting this recent episode.

wow

Bricktop

Cousin Warwick getting all christmassy for Star Wars.

https://flic.kr/p/BgUEck">https://flic.kr/p/BgUEck">12370810_10153752458394876_3638342227188773785_o

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Cousin Warwick getting all christmassy for Star Wars.

https://flic.kr/p/BgUEck">https://flic.kr/p/BgUEck">12370810_10153752458394876_3638342227188773785_o

:laugh: