Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Shrimp - slave labour :(

Started by asal, December 15, 2015, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renee

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I do not live close to the sea, so the fish we get is never really fresh..

What do posters think of farmed fish?

I found out some of the fish I buy has been farm raised.

If you mean Tilapia, I wouldn't eat it. It's similar to bluegill. Eats anything. I can only imagine what they feed it at the farm?

In China where about 40% of the imported Tilapia comes from, it's common to feed them manure from pigs and geese.

Shit fish, I won't eat it either. :beurk:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

deadskinmask

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I do not live close to the sea, so the fish we get is never really fresh..

If you mean Tilapia, I wouldn't eat it. It's similar to bluegill. Eats anything. I can only imagine what they feed it at the farm?

In China where about 40% of the imported Tilapia comes from, it's common to feed them manure from pigs and geese.

amberjack is loaded with worms. at one time, it was strictly a bait fish.... some clever bastard decided to remove the worms and has managed to market it to upscale restaurants.... some places brag about serving it. its unreal....

Anonymous

I was told we have fish farms in Saskatchewan for Christ sakes. Who would eat fish if they knew it comes from this province. Barley, canola, crude oil, potash and uranium yes, but fish. We should stay away from that business.

Anonymous

Quote from: "deadskinmask"

amberjack is loaded with worms. at one time, it was strictly a bait fish.... some clever bastard decided to remove the worms and has managed to market it to upscale restaurants.... some places brag about serving it. its unreal....

I am a prairie boy and I do not eat a lot of fish. I like my red meat. What is amberjack? Is it like tilapia?

deadskinmask

amberjack is a big ol salt water fish.... like a marlin without the nose.... its full of wormy parasites and nasty as hell. but theres a market for it....

Bricktop

Cooee cobbers!!!

Forget that poisoned Asian tucker.

Get an Aussie prawn (shrimp) in ya!!!

They're bigger and better than those chink tiddlers, and we don't put drugs and potions in them.

Throw an Aussie prawn on yer barbie this Chrissie, and say g'day to all your family.

http://australianprawns.com.au">//http://australianprawns.com.au

Anonymous

Quote from: "asal"
Quote from: "Renee"Not only are the labor practices despicable but much of the shrimp coming out of SE Asia does not meet FDA standards for safe consumption.

"Nearly all (94 percent) of the raw shrimp available in the U.S. are farmed in Asian countries, including Thailand, Vietnam, India and Indonesia. Because of the crowded and polluted conditions that typically exist in fish-farming ponds or tanks, the shrimp are often given antibiotics such as tetracyclines, which is illegal in shrimp imported to the U.S.

Specifically, the CR report noted that "of 205 raw farmed imported shrimp samples, 11 samples from Vietnam, Thailand, and Bangladesh tested positive for one or more antibiotics: Nine tested positive for oxytetracycline, three contained enrofloxacin, and two contained sulfa antibiotics."

As some of you may know a lot of people are highly allergic (like myself) to sulfa antibiotics.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015/04/consumer-reports-tests-find-60-percent-of-frozen-shrimp-contaminated-with-bacteria/#.VnAfltIrLRY">http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015/04/c ... nAfltIrLRY">http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015/04/consumer-reports-tests-find-60-percent-of-frozen-shrimp-contaminated-with-bacteria/#.VnAfltIrLRY

Look for shrimp caught in the Atlantic.  I try to - but it doesn't seem to be around on the West Coast.

I don't know about East coast shrimp, but I heard some of their fish is processed in South East Asia.

Anonymous

Awwww dammit!!!  I want shrimp, now I can't eat it. Hey, how about we not talk about food this way until after july?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"Awwww dammit!!!  I want shrimp, now I can't eat it. Hey, how about we not talk about food this way until after july?

I will be careful until after your due date Dove.

ac_smile

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"Awwww dammit!!!  I want shrimp, now I can't eat it. Hey, how about we not talk about food this way until after july?

Why can't you eat shrimp?

Anonymous

Because you guys just sat here and talked about the slave labor and poison. Uhg.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"Because you guys just sat here and talked about the slave labor and poison. Uhg.

Eat what you want, you will be fine.

Anonymous

I smashed crab legs and steak last night. Today, I can't hold down a thing :p

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"I smashed crab legs and steak last night. Today, I can't hold down a thing :p

No matter how many times I have it, a big old steak is always my favorite.

Anonymous

The steaks were from a cow my father in law bought and had slaughtered. It was awesome.