The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Shrimp - slave labour :(

Started by asal, December 15, 2015, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"The steaks were from a cow my father in law bought and had slaughtered. It was awesome.

I have a hobby farm Dove. I raise my own beef.

Annie

Well we WERE gonna have shrimp for Christmas Eve but I don't think so now! Yuck! And I won't buy anything if I know it's from slave labor.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "GrAnnie"Well we WERE gonna have shrimp for Christmas Eve but I don't think so now! Yuck! And I won't buy anything if I know it's from slave labor.

If you are only going to buy things made in Canadian style industrial conditions with respect for the safety of workers you'll save a helluva lot of money because won't find much that is.

Annie

Ya no doubt, I try to buy from made in Canada or even USA. And as much as I love Walmart I've always shied away from all their meat and seafood products. Something just doesn't seem right about buying pork chops from Walmart.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "GrAnnie"Ya no doubt, I try to buy from made in Canada or even USA. And as much as I love Walmart I've always shied away from all their meat and seafood products. Something just doesn't seem right about buying pork chops from Walmart.

Meat at Costco and Save-On Foods looks better than Walmart or Real Canadian Superstore..

But, it's possible they could all have the same supplier, I don't know.

deadskinmask

meat cutters and skilled butchers cost alot of money. bigger corporations like Walmart and such will usually have one or two locations that constantly cut meat and then ship it to various stores already packaged. it costs less because they can use unskilled labor to keep meat cases full.... the quality and freshness of the meat suffers but the money is all they care about anyway....

Watson

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "GrAnnie"Ya no doubt, I try to buy from made in Canada or even USA. And as much as I love Walmart I've always shied away from all their meat and seafood products. Something just doesn't seem right about buying pork chops from Walmart.

Meat at Costco and Save-On Foods looks better than Walmart or Real Canadian Superstore..

But, it's possible they could all have the same supplier, I don't know.

A real Canadian superstore. Is their a fake one.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "deadskinmask"meat cutters and skilled butchers cost alot of money. bigger corporations like Walmart and such will usually have one or two locations that constantly cut meat and then ship it to various stores already packaged. it costs less because they can use unskilled labor to keep meat cases full.... the quality and freshness of the meat suffers but the money is all they care about anyway....

Meat cutters can work retail or on an assembly line. The average wage in Canada is less than $17 an hour. Sobeys will typically have one retail meat cutter per shift. That person will not exclusively cut customized meat though as most meat will come in from places like Centennial Packers. When not making specialized cuts they perform other duties within the fish and meat department.

A Butcher starts at the beginning, while a meat cutter takes over after slaughter and aging is complete.

Annie

There's a new butcher's shop in town and it's all grain fed, ethical, local etc. It costs a little more but it's high quality and they cut it up for you on the spot.  We had some hamburger from it and it was really good.

Anonymous

Quote from: "GrAnnie"There's a new butcher's shop in town and it's all grain fed, ethical, local etc. It costs a little more but it's high quality and they cut it up for you on the spot.  We had some hamburger from it and it was really good.

How do you know for sure? Mickey D's claims they use 100% Canadian beef.

Annie

I suppose no one ever really knows.....

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "GrAnnie"There's a new butcher's shop in town and it's all grain fed, ethical, local etc. It costs a little more but it's high quality and they cut it up for you on the spot.  We had some hamburger from it and it was really good.

How do you know for sure? Mickey D's claims they use 100% Canadian beef.
 There is no way that's real beef at all.

Anonymous

Quote from: "GrAnnie"I suppose no one ever really knows.....

There's so much deception with meat labeling I have become cynical about it all. However, maybe the butcher is buying local free range meat. Once you've had the real thing, nobody will ever pull the wool over your eyes.