News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10378
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 05:35:39 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Are the Internet & High Technology ruining us?

Started by J0E, December 15, 2015, 11:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0E

This is a revival of a thread originally created by RW from the other forum.

However, I thought a timely subject.

What do you think? Is the Internet & High Technology ruining us?

Or is the opposite true - it is enhancing our existence?

What are some of the more positive aspects of high technology?

...and the less positive ones? The ramifications for us in the present, and in the future?

...discuss

RW

This horse in the video at the end makes me think of you Joe.

http://www.bconecall.bc.ca">http://www.bconecall.bc.ca
Beware of Gaslighters!

keeper

Quote from: "J0E"This is a revival of a thread originally created by RW from the other forum.

...and the less positive ones? The ramifications for us in the present, and in the future?

...discuss

When are you getting an avatar?

RW

Quote from: "J0E"This is a revival of a thread originally created by RW from the other forum.

...discuss

We are changing.  It's okay to change.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"

...discuss

It's inevitable.

Anonymous

...discuss

I use Pason system on the lease. I am not on my phone all the time, but I still like being connected.

Bricktop

...discuss

Did the discovery of iron and bronze ruin us?

Did books ruin us?

How about the telegraph and telephone?

Radio?

The ability to fly?

They all serve to move us forward into a brave new world. While they mostly make the world a better place, like every human commodity, some asshole will always find ways of using these innovations to kill and control. It comes with the territory.

We should be ever cautious not to blame the tools for the abhorrent behaviour of the workman.

shin

Higher technology is both the best and worst thing that has happened to us. It has allowed our daily activities to become facilitated in many practical and innovative ways... unfortunately, as we grow too reliant on it, we suffer greatly when it is removed from our immediate access more often than not.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"Higher technology is both the best and worst thing that has happened to us. It has allowed our daily activities to become facilitated in many practical and innovative ways... unfortunately, as we grow too reliant on it, we suffer greatly when it is removed from our immediate access more often than not.

When does that happen shin?

When we go camping close to where RW lives my daughter lives on her phone.

ac_unsure

shin

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "shin"Higher technology is both the best and worst thing that has happened to us. It has allowed our daily activities to become facilitated in many practical and innovative ways... unfortunately, as we grow too reliant on it, we suffer greatly when it is removed from our immediate access more often than not.

ac_unsure

A complete exodus from high technology would be difficult for us to imagine, but there are people like the Amish who manage to get by without most of it for extended periods of time.

It's been awhile for me, but I would also think most traditional churches don't have much high tech going on in them, either.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"

ac_unsure

A complete exodus from high technology would be difficult for us to imagine, but there are people like the Amish who manage to get by without most of it for extended periods of time.

It's been awhile for me, but I would also think most traditional churches don't have much high tech going on in them, either.

I fellowship at a very traditional church and we use technology especially for shut ins.

shin

ac_unsure

I fellowship om a very traditional church and we use technology especially for shut ins.

It's not this kind of traditional, is it?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02837/Megachurch-esc_2837691a.jpg">

Anonymous

ac_unsure

I fellowship om a very traditional church and we use technology especially for shut ins.

It's not this kind of traditional, is it?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02837/Megachurch-esc_2837691a.jpg">

No, it's not a megachurch shin.

J0E

...I think its evident that the Internet, computers and high technology are making us lazy and stupid.

Rather than perform tasks we could easily do for ourselves, we now rely upon machines to do it for us.

We're making ourselves weaker and lessening our ability to cope.

A law should be passed banning a person from using a computer or cellphone for 1 month a year,  so it teaches us to think without one.

About the only peopke who should use a computer all the time are handicapped and those with severe disabilities.

...discuss

Anonymous

Quote from: "J0E"...I think its evident that the Internet, computers and high technology are making us lazy and stupid.

Rather than perform tasks we could easily do for ourselves, we now rely upon machines to do it for us.

We're making ourselves weaker and lessening our ability to cope.

A law should be passed banning a person from using a computer or cellphone for 1 month a year,  so it teaches us to think without one.

About the only peopke who should use a computer all the time are handicapped and those with severe disabilities.

...discuss

ac_dunno