The best topic

Replies: 10387
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:57:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Trinity Western vs BC Law Society

Started by RW, January 06, 2016, 06:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "RW"So you would deny a person a better relationship with Christ, the community, or even themselves by attending TWU because of cigarettes and beer or cigars and wine?

If they signed the pledge about community standards, yes..

If they didn't sign it and only want non faith based programs that is not a problem at all, smoke away.

What if they want faith based programs without all the rules?

Oh, I know!  They just do it on the down low instead.

They should be honest about that up front..

If I was employed by the National Council of Women of Canada I would be terminated if they knew my views on abortion and I stated them in public.

Would you?  If I was your boss at the National Council of Women of Canada, I wouldn't care what your beliefs were.  I'd care if you could do your job despite them.  If you can't, then we'd have a problem.

That still doesn't change the fact that there are probably a good number of people attending TWU who don't adhere to all the rules. That's life as a human.

That's how I see the Law Society of BC and TWU students..

If grads from TWU cannot be faithful lawyers than they should be disbarred..

They shouldn't care about a pledge they signed as students..

They don't want to even give TWU grads a chance to prove themselves.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"So you would deny a person a better relationship with Christ, the community, or even themselves by attending TWU because of cigarettes and beer or cigars and wine?

If they didn't sign it and only want non faith based programs that is not a problem at all, smoke away.

If I was employed by the National Council of Women of Canada I would be terminated if they knew my views on abortion and I stated them in public.

I know if you were a new mp in Trudeau's government and you revealed your stance on abortion after you were elected, you would be out of caucus. Still employed for four years, but out of caucus.

RW

Would you?  If I was your boss at the National Council of Women of Canada, I wouldn't care what your beliefs were.  I'd care if you could do your job despite them.  If you can't, then we'd have a problem.

That still doesn't change the fact that there are probably a good number of people attending TWU who don't adhere to all the rules. That's life as a human.

BC is not the only Law Society who isn't okay with their grads either but I do agree with you on that the law society should deal with the individual lawyers after they are called to the bar and not the school.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

BC is not the only Law Society who isn't okay with their grads either but I do agree with you on that the law society should deal with the individual lawyers after they are called to the bar and not the school.

Punishing someone ahead of time doesn't sit well with me.

ac_unsure

RW

I think there is more to it than that.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I think there is more to it than that.

But that is how it affects people..

Would someone who received a law degree from a university in say Jamaica where homosexuality is illegal I believe not be accredited either?

There's only one Law Society in each province, so it's not like law grads have other options when they decide they don't like where you went to school.

RW

Quote from: "RW"I think there is more to it than that.

But that is how it affects people..

Would someone who received a law degree from a university in say Jamaica where homosexuality is illegal I believe not be accredited either?

There's only one Law Society in each province, so it's not like law grads have other options when they decide they don't like where you went to school.

I can't answer that because the National Committee on Accreditation doesn't provide a list of law schools they will accept applications from but it does look at the education and professional profile as well as competencies and skills of an individual applicant.  You have to get past them before you can even apply to a provincial law society.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

QuoteLaw society appeals BC Supreme Court Trinity Western decision

Court ruled BC law society must reconsider accrediting Christian law school

The Law Society of British Columbia is appealing a BC Supreme Court ruling which told the society to reconsider its decision not to accredit a law school at Christian Trinity Western University (TWU).

The society said Jan 5, 2016, that Chief Justice Christopher Hinkson erred in deciding the procedure followed by society directors was inappropriate, and erred in finding TWU was not afforded procedural fairness.

The law society's directors initially voted to accept TWU's future graduates in April 2014. Six months later, they rescinded that decision after an outcry from their members prompted a referendum.

Concerned about TWU's covenant — which threatens to penalize or expel students for having sex outside heterosexual marriage — members voted three-to-one to reject the school in the referendum. Hinkson said society directors should not have been blinded by their members' referendum, ruling that they allowed it "to supplant their judgment."

He said the directors should have stuck to their more careful weighing of the Charter rights in question — a Christian university's freedom of religion versus equality rights for gays and lesbians.

"I find that the decision was made without proper consideration and balancing of the Charter rights at issue, and therefore cannot stand," Hinkson ruled.

Society president David Crossin disagreed, saying in a news release that the society should be guided by its members' voices. "The circumstances surrounding the proposal for a law school at TWU raise issues regarding two competing Charter rights and values: the equality rights of the LGBTQ community and the position taken by TWU concerning religious freedom," he says.

Crossin says it's a constitutional question that should be resolved in an appeal court.[/i]

http://www.dailyxtra.com/vancouver/news-and-ideas/news/law-society-appeals-bc-supreme-court-trinity-western-decision-182933">http://www.dailyxtra.com/vancouver/news ... ion-182933">http://www.dailyxtra.com/vancouver/news-and-ideas/news/law-society-appeals-bc-supreme-court-trinity-western-decision-182933

This case raises some interesting legal and non-legal points:

1. Freedom of religion versus equality rights for gays and lesbians.  Which freedom takes front seat?

2. What is the right for the BC Legal Society to respect the votes of it's membership when it comes to accreditation?

3. Is it appropriate for a school to restrict students from personal/private sexual practices?

Feel free to address one or all.

[size=85]I would like to note this is a legal not a religious discussion.  This is not a comment or attack on Christianity.[/size]

One of the top guys at the BC Law Society compared the silly religious school pledge to discriminating on the grounds of race or some stupid analogy like that. The old and very tired ur Hitler, ur a nazi accusation. Fuck I hate that. :mad: