The best topic

Replies: 10387
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:57:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Trinity Western vs BC Law Society

Started by RW, January 06, 2016, 06:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

Quote from: "easter bunny"
Quote from: "RW"The TWU community covenant involves a commitment on the part of ALL members to embody attitudes and to practise actions identified in the Bible as virtues, and to avoid those portrayed as destructive.

https://twu.ca/studenthandbook/university-policies/community-covenant-agreement.html">https://twu.ca/studenthandbook/universi ... ement.html">https://twu.ca/studenthandbook/university-policies/community-covenant-agreement.html

That's where things get problematic for me wrt public funding. Do we also accept all the instructions in the Quran as virtuous?

We are talking about a specific case with specific issues.  I would prefer it not muddied with Islam shit if that's okay with you.

I do get your point though and no public funding would be appropriate IMHO.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

The crux of this issue for me is that TWU is imposing on the rights of LGBT whereas the LGBT, through private sexual acts, is not imposing on the TWU's religious freedoms.  Being that's the case, I think the CC is BS and needs to be stripped of said imposing language.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

How many gay atheists are enrolled in TWU's law school anyway?

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"How many gay atheists are enrolled at TWU's law school anyway?

Atheism isn't the issue but I don't know because I doubt anyone who is gay would risk putting themselves lest they be expelled.

My guess would be 1.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "seoulbro"How many gay atheists are enrolled at TWU's law school anyway?

Atheism isn't the issue but I don't know because I doubt anyone who is gay would risk putting themselves lest they be expelled.

My guess would be 1.

My guess would be zero unless their law school is above average which is even more reason to accredit them.

easter bunny

Quote from: "RW"The TWU community covenant involves a commitment on the part of ALL members to embody attitudes and to practise actions identified in the Bible as virtues, and to avoid those portrayed as destructive.

https://twu.ca/studenthandbook/university-policies/community-covenant-agreement.html">https://twu.ca/studenthandbook/universi ... ement.html">https://twu.ca/studenthandbook/university-policies/community-covenant-agreement.html

That's where things get problematic for me wrt public funding. Do we also accept all the instructions in the Quran as virtuous?

We are talking about a specific case with specific issues.  I would prefer it not muddied with Islam shit if that's okay with you.

I do get your point though and no public funding would be appropriate IMHO.

Agreed. Public funding is out. Otherwise we have to decide which religion qualifies and which doesn't.
The crux of this issue for me is that TWU is imposing on the rights of LGBT whereas the LGBT, through private sexual acts, is not imposing on the TWU's religious freedoms. Being that's the case, I think the CC is BS and needs to be stripped of said imposing language.

It's been a while but if I remember correctly I think I came to the conclusion that the language of the 'covenant' needed to be modified a little bit to include committed relationships, but the bit about abstaining from sex before commitment was okay.

Anonymous

My guess would be 1.

Why did they sign the covenant?

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"

My guess would be 1.

They would have to  sign it to go to school there.

There are homosexuals who attend/have attended TWU BTW.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"

My guess would be 1.

My guess would be zero unless their law school is above average which is even more reason to accredit them.

I pulled a number out of my butt.  You know that right?  

Hahaha
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

My guess would be 1.

Of course there are gay people at Trinity and by signing the covenant they agree to be celibate..

So, why did they sign it?

Was a sexual encounter a one time lapse or did they have no intention of honouring their pledge?

easter bunny

My guess would be 1.

Usually it's some militant atheists who want to bully someone and they know that Christians can't/won't do much to fight back.

RW

My guess would be 1.

Of course there are gay people at Trinity and by signing the covenant they agree to be celibate..

So, why did they sign it?

Was a sexual encounter a one time lapse or did they have no intention of honouring their pledge?

I can't say.  I'm sure there are more than a few people who signed the pledge with no intention of honouring it.  I'm sure there are gay people who follow it to the word.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

I would never agree to sign their covenant because I like cigarettes and liquor too much.

RW

My guess would be 1.

Usually it's some militant atheists who want to bully someone and they know that Christians can't/won't do much to fight back.

Oh bollocks.  This isn't an issue of bullying.  It's about constitutional rights and freedoms.

If I was a betting woman and this went to the Supreme Court (which it probably will), TWU will win.

I've also personally know a couple of the presidents of the Law Society in BC, including the current one, and they weren't atheists.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"I would never agree to sign their covenant because I like cigarettes and liquor too much.

Some people really like their booze and cigarettes and want to hang on to them while still doing all the other great things TWU does.  Why shouldn't they be able to?
Beware of Gaslighters!