The best topic

Replies: 10387
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:57:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Trinity Western vs BC Law Society

Started by RW, January 06, 2016, 06:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

reel

Quote from: "RW"
I disagree that they should be allowed to select the "character" when it means discriminating against someone's protected human rights.  If you are going to make that a rule, then restrict ALL students from pre-marital sex.

I believe they do...  Sex outside of a heterosexual marriage includes everyone, it just also specifically negates the validity of homosexual marriage.

RW

Quote from: "reel"
I disagree that they should be allowed to select the "character" when it means discriminating against someone's protected human rights.  If you are going to make that a rule, then restrict ALL students from pre-marital sex.

I believe they do...  Sex outside of a heterosexual marriage includes everyone, it just also specifically negates the validity of homosexual marriage.

I'll have to look that up specifically.  The fact that they mention only homosexual sex makes me wonder if it is just that.  Why else would the story be that specific?
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Religious rights are personal rights when it involves the rights of a person.  

I think the easy solution would be for the SCHOOL to mind it's own business what/who a student does on his/her free time pretty much like every other school does.

In France, the only good local school was the catholic school.  We walked into the courtyard one day to the kid, arms pointed at the sky, shouting "The Sky Spirits love me!" at the top of her lungs.

Fortunately there were no repercussions.

That said, in this sort of a conflict, I don't think it's up to us to impose values whether it is an individual, a school, or otherwise.

What "values" would we be imposing?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

That one is easy.  TWU should not, under any circumstances, be receiving public funds.

Good luck with that one reel. The previous Alberta government gave $250,000 to Islamists who financed HAMAS' fund collector and invited promoters of sharia in Edmonton. The feds have given cultural grants and tax-free status to similar groups(some have had that revoked). I would like to see pandering to religious communities with my money halted, but expect this bullshit to get worse under the current regime.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

The following is Trinity's website.

TWU's School of Law has been met with opposition primarily because our Community Covenant asks students to "voluntarily abstain from sexual intimacy that violates the sacredness of marriage between a man and a woman." Despite the significant attention it receives, sexual intimacy is only a small part of the Community Covenant. The Community Covenant is about holistic living, and focuses predominately on building a community of integrity, love, kindness, honesty, and graciousness.

Some opponents express the fear that TWU graduates will discriminate against the LGBTQ+ community in their professional careers—despite the Supreme Court of Canada finding that there "wasn't a shred of evidence" of any discrimination when the same issue went before them in consideration of our ability to educate prospective teachers in 2001.

easter bunny

I see this issue as one of freedom of association - specifically the right to associate with people who share the same values. Some schools have a dress code; this one has a behaviour code. A contract is a contract. If you can't adhere to their rules then don't go there.

I thought the role of the law society was to determine whether or not TWU meets the academic requirements to produce qualified lawyers, not to decide who people have to hang out with. Their decision and the way they arrived at it (by referendum) has shown that not only are they a bunch of bullies, but they're also incompetent judges. This whole thing is an embarrassment to the people of BC. It makes us look like idiots.

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"I see this issue as one of freedom of association - specifically the right to associate with people who share the same values. Some schools have a dress code; this one has a behaviour code. A contract is a contract. If you can't adhere to their rules then don't go there.

I thought the role of the law society was to determine whether or not TWU meets the academic requirements to produce qualified lawyers, not to decide who people have to hang out with. Their decision and the way they arrived at it (by referendum) has shown that not only are they a bunch of bullies, but they're also incompetent judges. This whole thing is an embarrassment to the people of BC. It makes us look like idiots.

I haven't given it a lot of thought easter bunny, but that's how I see it too..

Even their conduct code appears to be more of a request than a requirement.

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"The following is Trinity's website.

TWU's School of Law has been met with opposition primarily because our Community Covenant asks students to "voluntarily abstain from sexual intimacy that violates the sacredness of marriage between a man and a woman." Despite the significant attention it receives, sexual intimacy is only a small part of the Community Covenant. The Community Covenant is about holistic living, and focuses predominately on building a community of integrity, love, kindness, honesty, and graciousness.

Some opponents express the fear that TWU graduates will discriminate against the LGBTQ+ community in their professional careers—despite the Supreme Court of Canada finding that there "wasn't a shred of evidence" of any discrimination when the same issue went before them in consideration of our ability to educate prospective teachers in 2001.

Voluntarily abstain but what is the consequence if they don't abstain?  According to the media, it could be expulsion.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Voluntarily abstain but what is the consequence if they don't abstain?  According to the media, it could be expulsion.

From the same website.

Anyone is welcome to join the Trinity Western University community. Their sexual orientation is never a consideration. As such, the TWU School of Law actually increases prospective law students' options. Should a student find that the Community Covenant does not fit their lifestyle, then their options remain unchanged from the status quo.

I assume they cannot take part in the faith based part of academic life at Trinity.

easter bunny

Quote from: "RW"Voluntarily abstain but what is the consequence if they don't abstain? According to the media, it could be expulsion.

They get beheaded. It's in the fine print. =P

RW

Quote from: "easter bunny"I see this issue as one of freedom of association - specifically the right to associate with people who share the same values. Some schools have a dress code; this one has a behaviour code. A contract is a contract. If you can't adhere to their rules then don't go there.

The Law Society's role extends far beyond that.  From their page:

"The Law Society of British Columbia upholds and protects the public interest in the administration of justice by ensuring the independence, integrity and competence of lawyers, establishing education and professional development standards for lawyers, regulating the practice of law and preserving and protecting the rights and freedoms of all persons."

The concern is that the school has competing Charter rights and values, and that the public and the legal profession is better served having these fundemental issues resolved before it grants registration.

I don't think it makes us look like idiots at all.  I think it's a valid Charter challenge.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"

From the same website.

Anyone is welcome to join the Trinity Western University community. Their sexual orientation is never a consideration. As such, the TWU School of Law actually increases prospective law students' options. Should a student find that the Community Covenant does not fit their lifestyle, then their options remain unchanged from the status quo.

I assume they cannot take part in the faith based part of academic life at Trinity.

It's still discriminatory.

Although I think it's absolutely ludicrous for a school to force students to adhere to a "Community Covenant", I think it's all right for them to impose such things so long as they aren't getting tax dollars or breaks.  I don't want to support funding a learning institution that discriminates against freedoms guaranteed under the Charter.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"
Quote from: "RW"Voluntarily abstain but what is the consequence if they don't abstain? According to the media, it could be expulsion.

They get beheaded. It's in the fine print. =P

lol easter bunny, The Law Society makes it seem like that..

:laugh:

But seriously though, they assume someone who abides by a covenant cannot be impartial and that's untrue, ignorant and insulting.

easter bunny

The Law Society's role extends far beyond that.  From their page:

"The Law Society of British Columbia upholds and protects the public interest in the administration of justice by ensuring the independence, integrity and competence of lawyers, establishing education and professional development standards for lawyers, regulating the practice of law and preserving and protecting the rights and freedoms of all persons."

The concern is that the school has competing Charter rights and values, and that the public and the legal profession is better served having these fundemental issues resolved before it grants registration.

I don't think it makes us look like idiots at all.  I think it's a valid Charter challenge.

I agree that it's a valid Charter challenge, but it looked stupid to me because they made their initial judgement based on academic considerations, and then changed their decision because it hurt the feelings of a bunch of their members.