The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Homelessness? Breach of the Charter?

Started by RW, January 07, 2016, 03:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

easter bunny

Quote from: "Shen Li"Now that would be money well spent.

Srsly though dude, I don't believe the white animals in my first neighbourHOOD in Canada can be saved. The immigrants in BM are there temporarily, but those white animals are lifers and then some. We have limited resources and we should use it for those that can be salvaged.

I know what you mean. Some people are just beyond help. Bottomless pits of wasted money and misery. That's just the way it is. =(

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"

Srsly though dude, I don't believe the white animals in my first neighbourHOOD in Canada can be saved. The immigrants in BM are there temporarily, but those white animals are lifers and then some. We have limited resources and we should use it for those that can be salvaged.

I know what you mean. Some people are just beyond help. Bottomless pits of wasted money and misery. That's just the way it is. =(

I won't give up hope though easter bunny.

easter bunny

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Well there's always a chance, but you can't let anyone bring you down.

Anonymous

Giving up hope on people would really bring me down easter bunny.

easter bunny

Giving up hope on people would really bring me down easter bunny.

ac_smile

RW

Poverty does nothing for our country BTW.  Not a damn thing.  In fact, it brings us all down.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Poverty does nothing for our country BTW.  Not a damn thing.  In fact, it brings us all down.

I agree with ya RW. Since those fucking white savages like the ones I lived around in Boyle Mccauley cannot be helped, they should help us. Use them for medical and industrial research. Their organs(the ones they haven't destroyed) can give life to those that deserve to live.

Anonymous

I live in an inner city, with an outreach mission. We take in stray people.  There is a devasting amount of homeless people, children, et....none of which simply "failed themselces".   I'm gonna be real honest, I know a lot of people on the streets I'd rather spend time with than what society labels "valuable successful people".

Anonymous

More times than not, with good reason.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"I live in an inner city, with an outreach mission. We take in stray people.  There is a devasting amount of homeless people, children, et....none of which simply "failed themselces".   I'm gonna be real honest, I know a lot of people on the streets I'd rather spend time with than what society labels "valuable successful people".

Fair enough, I would rather spend time with rabid dogs than some of the homless/street junkies and thugs I've seen.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Dove"I live in an inner city, with an outreach mission. We take in stray people.  There is a devasting amount of homeless people, children, et....none of which simply "failed themselces".   I'm gonna be real honest, I know a lot of people on the streets I'd rather spend time with than what society labels "valuable successful people".

Fair enough, I would rather spend time with rabid dogs than some of the homless/street junkies and thugs I've seen.
 Getting shanked is way less painful than rabids, mang. Lol. I live in the hood right now....but we are looking to purchase a home a few towns over. Still going to be active in this outreach, though.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"
Quote from: "Shen Li"

Getting shanked is way less painful than eabids, mang. Lol

You'd get both from the animals in my first neighbourhood in Canada.

J0E

Quote from: "RW"1. Do you feel access to affordable housing for homeless people is necessary in fulfilling the "security of person" Charter right?

2. What rights, if any, do we have to keep homeless people safe from the elements or safe on the streets from abuse, etc?

3. If the government has no responsibility in keeping homeless people safe, who should be responsible for the care of these people?  Non-profits?  Charities?  Churches?

I support helping the homelessness. We should try to do something about the problem now before it gets  worse. At the same time, if we provide them with housing, it shouldn't be free or without strings attached.

1. In granting them a place to live, I'd make the homeless individual give 25% of their welfare cheque and earnings from any employment they have.And the government would have access to their bank accounts, if any.

2. The individual would have to enter psychiatric care provided by the complex and drug/alcohol treatment as a condition of getting free housing.

3. The individual would have to 'work' for the complex/co-op they are housed in with a minimal make work type of employment of 20 hours a week. This could be gardening, security guard, cook, janitorial work, cleaning the streets, washing graffiti off the walls.

4. as a condition of getting free housing and meals, the homeless person could not panhandle or loiter the streets.

Anonymous

Quote from: "J0E"
Quote from: "RW"1. Do you feel access to affordable housing for homeless people is necessary in fulfilling the "security of person" Charter right?

2. What rights, if any, do we have to keep homeless people safe from the elements or safe on the streets from abuse, etc?

3. If the government has no responsibility in keeping homeless people safe, who should be responsible for the care of these people?  Non-profits?  Charities?  Churches?

I support helping the homelessness. We should try to do something about the problem now before it gets  worse. At the same time, if we provide them with housing, it shouldn't be free or without strings attached.

1. In granting them a place to live, I'd make the homeless individual give 25% of their welfare cheque and earnings from any employment they have.And the government would have access to their bank accounts, if any.

2. The individual would have to enter psychiatric care provided by the complex and drug/alcohol treatment as a condition of getting free housing.

3. The individual would have to 'work' for the complex/co-op they are housed in with a minimal make work type of employment of 20 hours a week. This could be gardening, security guard, cook, janitorial work, cleaning the streets, washing graffiti off the walls.

4. as a condition of getting free housing and meals, the homeless person could not panhandle or loiter the streets.

It sounds to me JOE, you are talking about building communal type housing along the lines of a work camp?

You don't like individual dwellings like apartments as a homelessness solution?

J0E

Quote from: "Fashionista"It sounds to me JOE, you are talking about building communal type housing along the lines of a work camp?

You don't like individual dwellings like apartments as a homelessness solution?

Well Fashionista, I spoke with a homeless guy and he told me that housing shouldn't be given to them free. That they should have to work for it. And that's a homeless guy. He also said if it's all given away like candy, the homeless people will take it for granted and it will fall apart because there'll be no incentive to take care of it. So it's not really my idea, it was some homeless guy I spoke with whom I sometimes bump into and give $1 or $2 to outside the local convenience store.

Also, the newer social housing developments in Vancouver seem to all have round the clock security guards. They keep intruders out off the streeets, but they also watch their tenants and make sure they behave. One of the problems with places like Vancouver Downtown Eastside, is that many of these hotels along Hastings Street don't have any security guards, and all kinds of shit goes on inside them, like drug abuse, people pushing drugs, prostitution, and an assortment of other crimes. And that's where many of the problems in the city are coming from - this small stretch of 6 blocks of the city. If they could close the hotels down and relocate the people to new secure housing complex, that would greatly clean up the area and even revive it. Make it great again. That skid row area used to be decent. The make it that way again.

Anyways, I gotta friend who lives in that Olympic Village which was used to house athletes during the 2010 Winter Olympics. He managed to get a space there. However, the people running that place really watch the social housing inhabitants like a hawk. They can't misbehave, do drugs, have rowdy parties, be shit disturbers. Otherwise, they'll lose their place in this very privileged housing development. BTW, the paid housing units there go for upwards of a million dollars a piece. so in a way, it's not 'free'. They have to earn their keep to hang on to their right to live there. I thought the same approach could be used to help solve the homeless problem in Vancouver.