Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

David Bowie passes away at age 69

Started by Anonymous, January 11, 2016, 08:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

Well, for once you got a reference correct.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove""According to Wikipedia it was co-written by David Bowie and Iggy Pop, inspired by Iggy's obsession with a Vietnamese woman he knew.

Now read it again, only every time it says "China girl", say "Heroin".

China White was a street name for α-Methylfentanyl, which was a popular recreational drug in the 1970s, similar to Heroin but much more potent. The song is about the effects of addiction to the drug, personified as a girl. Bowie and Iggy both had serious and well publicized drug problems during the 1970s and this song is more than likely inspired by their experience.

The part about "visions of swastikas" may be a veiled apology for Bowie's brief flirtation with Nazi imagery and ideas. He'd attracted considerable negative publicity for pro-Nazi comments in interviews, apparently giving a Nazi salute to fans outside a train station in the UK and was stopped at the Russian-Polish border for posessing Nazi paraphernalia. He later confessed that his judgement at the time was impaired by his drug addiction.

So no, it's not racist, because the "China Girl" of the title is a personification of the drug the singer is addicted to, and not really anything to do with China or the Chinese people.

Written 31 Dec 2013 • "   my bad....it was iggy pop who talked it somewhere. I'll have to look.

You got this opinion from Quora. It's just a guess.

Bricktop

Not its not!!! Its common knowledge.

Dumbass.

Bricktop

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jogv7tD18gs

Few people know that Rick Wakeman contributed a lot to "Hunky Dory", and in fact the record would not have been anywhere near as popular or successful without his amazing talent coupled with Bowie's songwriting.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Not its not!!! Its common knowledge.

Dumbass.

Hey, don't be so hard on Dove. She fell for an urban legend, that's all.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Dumbass.

I know the song. I know what iggy pop said. And I know it makes far more sense in the context of drug use than some infatuation. But you are free to think it's about whatever you want it to be about. It's open for a reason.

Renee

I thought this is supposed to be a thread marking the he passing of a great talent. I dont think it was meant to be peverted into an argumentative debate regarding the messages found in the artist's work. There are plenty of places on this forum for that.

Give it a rest, the guy is barely cold.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"I thought this is supposed to be a thread marking the he passing of a great talent. I dont think it was meant to be peverted into an agrumentive debate regarding the messages found in the artist's work. There are plenty of places on this forum for that.

I agree Renee, arguing about the meaning of a song was not what I had in my mind with this thread.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"
Quote from: "Shen Li"

Dumbass.

I know the song. I know what iggy pop said. And I know it makes far more sense in the context of drug use than some infatuation. But you are free to think it's about whatever you want it to be about. It's open for a reason.

Unless you can prove otherwise, I think you should accept what the writers of the song say it is about.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Renee"I thought this is supposed to be a thread marking the he passing of a great talent. I dont think it was meant to be peverted into an agrumentive debate regarding the messages found in the artist's work. There are plenty of places on this forum for that.

I agree Renee, arguing about the meaning of a song was not what I had in my mind with this thread.

SHE started it!!!!

:t1929:

Bricktop

Anyone here seen him live?

I've seen him twice. The Serious Moonlight tour in the early 80's, and the final, Reality, tour in 2004. While Serious Moonlight was a stadium concert with a lot of stage effects, Reality was indoors and trimmed down considerably to just the band and music.

Setlist for 1983:

1 Look Back In Anger

2 "Heroes"

3 What In The World

4 Golden Years

5 Fashion

6 Let's Dance

7 Breaking Glass

8 Life On Mars

9 Sorrow

10 Cat People

11 China Girl

12 Scary Monsters

13 Rebel Rebel

14 White Light White Heat

15 Station To Station

16 Cracked Actor

17 Ashes To Ashes

18 Space Oddity

19 Fame

Encore

20 Star

21 Stay

22 The Jean Genie

23 Modern Love

REBEL REBEL

NEW KILLER STAR

FAME

CACTUS (Pixies cover)

REALITY

TRY SOME, BUY SOME (George Harrison cover)

ALL THE YOUNG DUDES

CHINA GIRL

THE LONELIEST GUY

THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD (Highlight of the show)

HALLO SPACEBOY

SUNDAY

UNDER PRESSURE

LIFE ON MARS?

LOOKING FOR WATER

QUICKSAND

DAYS

WHITE LIGHT WHITE HEAT (Velvet Underground cover)

ASHES TO ASHES

I'M AFRAID OF AMERICANS

"HEROES"

HEATHEN (THE RAYS)

FIVE YEARS

HANG ON TO YOURSELF

ZIGGY STARDUST

Renee

\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

J0E

This is my favorite song David Bowie sung/took part in:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psYQMY69gLo

...in fact, it is the only song of his I ever liked and still like.

It was a very good song.

It's very current & speaks volumes about the times we live in.

My favorite part is when they sing at the climax:

QuoteThis is Our Last Dance

This is our Last Dance,

This is Our Selves....

....Under Pressure

Kudos to the band Queen as well who made it happen, possible.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

These things happen.