The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Required living

Started by RW, January 12, 2016, 12:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

Some places in Canada could use a few extra people to boost populations and support their economies.

Would you support an immigration plan that said immigrants are welcome but they can only live in certain places for a period of time?

For example, a new family wants to immigrate here but they have to pick from a list of places they have to immigrate to like a small town or rural community or Prince Edward Island.  The list would be based on communities that could use a population boost.

What say you?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

I've thought about immigrating on over.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

I guess it beats a regular old "open door policy" on assholes.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Some places in Canada could use a few extra people to boost populations and support their economies.

Would you support an immigration plan that said immigrants are welcome but they can only live in certain places for a period of time?

For example, a new family wants to immigrate here but they have to pick from a list of places they have to immigrate to like a small town or rural community or Prince Edward Island.  The list would be based on communities that could use a population boost.

What say you?

We kinda have a smaller version of it now. Quebec administers it's own immigration plan and Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta have provincial nominee programs. I know it's not the same as what you are suggesting though.

RW

I think it's a great idea!  If you want to come here, you have to do your time in Podunk.  None of this Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal bullshit.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I think it's a great idea!  If you want to come here, you have to do your time in Podunk.  None of this Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal bullshit.

What do you think of having the feds out of immigration entirely and handing the file over to the provinces? Each province would set quotas and criteria based on their own labour needs. Immigrants would make their application directly to the province they want to settle in. If their application for permanent residency in that province was approved the province would then apply on their behalf for landing permits. They would have to live in that province until they become Canadian citizens. Then and only then would they be allowed labour mobility within Canada.

Anonymous

Former NB premier seems to agree with you RW.

Frank McKenna: Feds Should Require Immigrants To Live In Atlantic Canada

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/01/11/require-immigrants-to-live-in-atlantic-region-up-to-five-years-mckenna_n_8958072.html?ncid=fcbklnkcahpmg00000008">http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/01/11 ... mg00000008">http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/01/11/require-immigrants-to-live-in-atlantic-region-up-to-five-years-mckenna_n_8958072.html?ncid=fcbklnkcahpmg00000008

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "RW"I think it's a great idea!  If you want to come here, you have to do your time in Podunk.  None of this Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal bullshit.

What do you think of having the feds out of immigration entirely and handing the file over to the provinces? Each province would set quotas and criteria based on their own labour needs. Immigrants would make their application directly to the province they want to settle in. If their application for permanent residency in that province was approved the province would then apply on their behalf for landing permits. They would have to live in that province until they become Canadian citizens. Then and only then would they be allowed labour mobility within Canada.

I'm okay with that.  At least we can vote for what we want in our province.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Annie

Voting for what we want in Canada doesn't mean we'll get all the things we want with one elective. I find that each one up for election have a few good ideas and a few or more crappy ideas. It would be nice to just pick out only the good ideas and then elect someone and they can only do the the good things we choose.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

That would be a different approach.

Twenty Dollars

A beautiful country. Too bloody cold for me.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"A beautiful country. Too bloody cold for me.

What do you consider an ugly country Twenty Dollars?

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I've never been to the Middle East. i see beauty and ugly everywhere I've been.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

I've never been to the Middle East. i see beauty and ugly everywhere I've been.

I have been to the ME, but only the one civilized little corner of it. The rest out of it is unfit for birds to lay eggs. A backwards, murderous ideology called Islam is the reason of course.