News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

DPP's Tsai Ing Wen elected Taiwanese president.

Started by Anonymous, January 15, 2016, 09:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easter bunny

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "easter bunny"
Quote from: "Shen Li" They are trying to become a consumer society just like the West, but the people prefer to save.

I wonder if that has something to do with the younger generation in the west being used to having everything so they don't feel the need to save like the older generation did.

The way I understand it is even young Chinese are good savers compared to say Koreans who pile up debt for cosmetics.

:ohmy:

Selflessness vs selfishness? Communism vs capitalism?  ac_umm

Anonymous

The people in Taiwan are some of the friendliest and most hospitable people in the far East. I always had a good time in Taiwan.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li" They are trying to become a consumer society just like the West, but the people prefer to save.

I wonder if that has something to do with the younger generation in the west being used to having everything so they don't feel the need to save like the older generation did.

The way I understand it is even young Chinese are good savers compared to say Koreans who pile up debt for cosmetics.

WTF??  Two different countries, different history, different social conditioning. You see everything through Western ideological eyes.

easter bunny

Quote from: "Shen Li"

WTF??  Two different countries, different history, different social conditioning. You see everything through Western ideological eyes.

Well I was raised in the west. I'm just thinking out loud right now, not really drawing any conclusions yet. It just seems to me that if you've been through tough times you'd be more likely to save your money. Most westerners (myself included) have never seen really tough times so it's a hard thing to imagine.

Anonymous

^Ur getting warmer, but there's much more to it than that.

easter bunny

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"I'm listening. =)

What, you want me to write 5000 years of history??

easter bunny

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"Can you condense it to 140 characters? =P

Can't do it so no hashtag.  Frugality is a virtue and it has nothing to do with Mao/commies. It been taught for thousands of years. The classic Chinese text Dao De Jing states that the three greatest treasures one can have are love, frugality, and generosity. Frugality is really an integral part of the Chinese culture.

easter bunny

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "easter bunny"Can you condense it to 140 characters? =P

Can't do it so no hashtag.  Frugality is a virtue and it has nothing to do with Mao/commies. It been taught for thousands of years. The classic Chinese text Dao De Jing states that the three greatest treasures one can have are love, frugality, and generosity. Frugality is really an integral part of the Chinese culture.

I like that.  ac_smile

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"The people in Taiwan are some of the friendliest and most hospitable people in the far East. I always had a good time in Taiwan.

I've heard foreigners say that and I've also heard tourists say it is aesthetically disappointing.